Grado Fan Club!
Jan 20, 2018 at 9:30 PM Post #37,291 of 65,550
I mean I'm not telling anyone they shouldn't like it, but to me there's far too much of a tendency to call a headphone with below-neutral bass "tight and controlled." It's not any tighter than a planar, there's just less of it.

But that's part of Grado's charm. The family has a sound they aim at and they go for it regardless of what shows up on the charts. I think that's a wonderful thing. It shows greater regard for the listening experience than a company that might sit there with a measurement rig trying to get the little line to look a certain way.

Jan 20, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #37,293 of 65,550
Yeah, Grado is like the rotary phone to, for example, Focal’s sleek iPhone. Or like a record shop when everyone else is Spotify or Tidal.

You get the idea - they don’t care about trends.
I mean I'm not telling anyone they shouldn't like it, but to me there's far too much of a tendency to call a headphone with below-neutral bass "tight and controlled." It's not any tighter than a planar, there's just less of it.

But that's part of Grado's charm. The family has a sound they aim at and they go for it regardless of what shows up on the charts. I think that's a wonderful thing. It shows greater regard for the listening experience than a company that might sit there with a measurement rig trying to get the little line to look a certain way.

they're old school you know, just like stax, they also don't follow trend, not sure about current stax since edifier already bought them

Jan 20, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #37,294 of 65,550
Stax is still the same - Edifier let’s them to do what they want. It’s really incredible how careful and meticulous they are in engineering and crafting their earspeakers. The 404 Limited Edition is still one of the best I’ve ever heard - I totally regret selling them.

Jan 20, 2018 at 10:07 PM Post #37,295 of 65,550
Stax is still the same - Edifier let’s them to do what they want. It’s really incredible how careful and meticulous they are in engineering and crafting their earspeakers. The 404 Limited Edition is still one of the best I’ve ever heard - I totally regret selling them.
yeah it's subsidiary but still though, you never knew

i just found out this album about week ago, really great with ps1000e

while waiting patiently for this baby
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Jan 20, 2018 at 10:14 PM Post #37,296 of 65,550
yeah it's subsidiary but still though, you never knew

i just found out this album about week ago, really great with ps1000e

while waiting patiently for this baby
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg
Congratulations on the headphones, hope you enjoy them.
Going to check this album out right now on Tidal Hi-Fi.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #37,297 of 65,550
Congratulations on the headphones, hope you enjoy them.
Going to check this album out right now on Tidal Hi-Fi.
thanks joseph! hopefully it sounds great
i'm not sure if you're going to like it, i didn't have any idea about the artist and it turned out it's a great album. btw i got that album from stax user. so you might want to check it also with your stax system

Jan 21, 2018 at 12:43 AM Post #37,298 of 65,550
thanks joseph! hopefully it sounds great
i'm not sure if you're going to like it, i didn't have any idea about the artist and it turned out it's a great album. btw i got that album from stax user. so you might want to check it also with your stax system
Well, I must say I was shocked and thought that there was something wrong with Tidal when I started playing the album, and I just happen to be listening to my 009 too! Just not for me, but you never know until you listen.

Jan 21, 2018 at 1:09 AM Post #37,299 of 65,550
Well, I must say I was shocked and thought that there was something wrong with Tidal when I started playing the album, and I just happen to be listening to my 009 too! Just not for me, but you never know until you listen.
hahaha when i first listened to first track i was like, hmmm not for me, i like metal but that heavy distortion sound not blend very well with the melody but i kept listening to it and i think start from middle tracks to the end of the album, the sound became more interesting, her voice and those hollow sound just very hypnotizing. btw did you notice any compression or some kind of dynamic loss from that album? i didn't read anything about that album, i just search the album and listened with ps1000e and i think it's well recorded album, in term of recording quality

Jan 21, 2018 at 1:14 AM Post #37,300 of 65,550
hahaha when i first listened to first track i was like, hmmm not for me, i like metal but that heavy distortion sound not blend very well with the melody but i kept listening to it and i think start from middle tracks to the end of the album, the sound became more interesting, her voice and those hollow sound just very hypnotizing. btw did you notice any compression or some kind of dynamic loss from that album? i didn't read anything about that album, i just search the album and listened with ps1000e and i think it's well recorded album, in term of recording quality
Definitely didn't listen long enough to comment on the dynamics. I listened to the first 20 seconds of the first track, then skipped through the rest of the tracks even faster!
:)

Jan 21, 2018 at 1:28 AM Post #37,301 of 65,550
Definitely didn't listen long enough to comment on the dynamics. I listened to the first 20 seconds of the first track, then skipped through the rest of the tracks even faster!
:)
lol. the reason i asking that because as you know high end grados are quite forgiving headphones but there are few albums like really really crap recorded, even listening with grado i could hear those high distortion very clear, so i imagine listening with stax must be very painful. i just want to check is that album really well recorded album or is it because i listen with grado :D

Jan 21, 2018 at 6:59 PM Post #37,302 of 65,550
I have listened to Abyss this afternoon, thank you for bringing it to my attention. Listening to Spotify Premium on my RS1's, Dragonfly Black and my PC... I am a fan of Evanescence and
others so this is a familiar genre for me. Regarding Grados and bass, they can usually develop good bass performance after 200 hours of break-in, not wise to judge until then!

Jan 22, 2018 at 5:58 AM Post #37,304 of 65,550
Jan 22, 2018 at 6:06 AM Post #37,305 of 65,550

Users who are viewing this thread

Back