Grado Fan Club!
Sep 22, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #36,331 of 65,550
I haven't tried TTVJ "deluxe pads" but I definitely agree with this statement using TTVJ flat pads.

From reading a couple comparisons, it sounds like the deluxe pads accomplish the same things as the flat pads (tame treble, increase bass), but without taking away from the mids as much. They're still selling both on TTVJ, but I thought $15 was a small price to pay for that :)

Sep 22, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #36,332 of 65,550
From reading a couple comparisons, it sounds like the deluxe pads accomplish the same things as the flat pads (tame treble, increase bass), but without taking away from the mids as much. They're still selling both on TTVJ, but I thought $15 was a small price to pay for that :)
I'll just ask, what exactly is TTVJ? Yes, I'm out of the loop.

Sep 22, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #36,333 of 65,550
Sep 22, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #36,334 of 65,550
Sep 23, 2017 at 7:13 AM Post #36,335 of 65,550
Just a quick update. I did get the cheap eBay G pads to try on my SR225e. And at first I did prefer them, comfort wise. What I didn't like was that they made a hair more space between my ears and the drivers, which led to a touch more treble (to me, not saying it'll be the same for everyone). The last thing they needed sound wise was that. So, back to the old pads. And a funny thing happened. My ears got used to the old pads almost right away. I don't know if they softened up a hair, or my ears hardened :nerd: Anyway, still loving the sound of these, especially at the price. Have to admit I'm considering slightly more expensive models in the future. I really don't want to go over $500 on them. Wouldn't mind getting a slightly more laid back, softer sounding model, but I'm honestly not sure which to go for. Any opinions?

In my opinion 225:s are one of the best models from Grado price/SQ wise. Especially, if you are for more laidback sound, wich i understand as softer side in treble deparment?
If you are a bit handy side, you definedly should try doing hole mod for those. You can get a much deeper bass, thus treble is taming as well. Very similar result as RS2.

Sep 23, 2017 at 7:23 AM Post #36,336 of 65,550
@ruthieandjohn
what do you think about ps2000e?

some new review
https://www.kitguru.net/tech-news/f...00e-headphones-review-the-2017-2700-flagship/
Grado have said that the PS2000e is ‘Simply the best headphone we have ever produced, and perhaps, the best in the world.’ It is unquestionably their finest (and most expensive) headphone to date, and sets a strong challenge to other market leaders such as the Hi-Fi Man HE1000 V2, Audeze LCD4 and Focal Utopia. Even if you haven’t been a fan of the Grado sound signature in the past, the PS2000e are worth a serious audition.

Sep 23, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #36,337 of 65,550
@ruthieandjohn
what do you think about ps2000e?
I don't know yet, I haven't heard them for myself, but I'm next on TTVJ loaner program!

Not too sure about this reviewers statement "Grado needing voltage"?
I've always read that Grados LOVE current. Otherwise, just another long boring review finally leading up to the PS2Ke.

Sorry for being negative, but I'm not one for reading "reviews" from so called "professionals" who get paid to write, I'd rather draw my own impressions with my own ears and read real users impressions
like those from this community, yourself included. :beerchug:

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #36,338 of 65,550
I don't know yet, I haven't heard them for myself, but I'm next on TTVJ loaner program!

Not too sure about this reviewers statement "Grado needing voltage"?
I've always read that Grados LOVE current. Otherwise, just another long boring review finally leading up to the PS2Ke.

Sorry for being negative, but I'm not one for reading "reviews" from so called "professionals" who get paid to write, I'd rather draw my own impressions with my own ears and read real users impressions
like those from this community, yourself included. :beerchug:

hahahaha i know. it's all right, i also like that, i don't blindly trust "professional reviewers", most of the time they always put their own preference. it's been ages since the last impression on that ps2000e thread loaner. i guess i'm just bored and need some reading also still curious about ps2000e and since i can't demo it myself, i just look around for new reading :D

Sep 23, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #36,340 of 65,550
none taken:beerchug:
i know. i think the headphone currently at ruthieandjohn's hand and it's only been 2 impressions so far:triportsad:

i think i need to be patient which i want to share my experience. i like good music, if it's good music it's a good music, but i have to be honest i don't really give much appreciation to jazz, i like jazz but if i have to pick one i still pick rock/metal than jazz any day but as i'm getting older, i listen to jazz, it's all right, i enjoy it but that's it. nothing really special for me however for last couple weeks. i've been listening to jazz almost exclusively, i only played 1 or two rock albums lately, and i think 2 days ago i listen to miles davis's album again. at night. man what an experience. it's just...listening jazz at night that's something else. anyway it was cowboy bebop ost album that really put the groove on for me. is there any message to this story? yes. you need to get older to enjoy and fully appreciate jazz :D

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #36,341 of 65,550
Just a quick update. I did get the cheap eBay G pads to try on my SR225e. And at first I did prefer them, comfort wise. What I didn't like was that they made a hair more space between my ears and the drivers, which led to a touch more treble (to me, not saying it'll be the same for everyone). The last thing they needed sound wise was that. So, back to the old pads. And a funny thing happened. My ears got used to the old pads almost right away. I don't know if they softened up a hair, or my ears hardened :nerd: Anyway, still loving the sound of these, especially at the price. Have to admit I'm considering slightly more expensive models in the future. I really don't want to go over $500 on them. Wouldn't mind getting a slightly more laid back, softer sounding model, but I'm honestly not sure which to go for. Any opinions?
A little late here but I'd have to agree with @Jazmanaut about doing some mods to the SR225e. While I didn't open any vent holes I did add dynamat in the cups, felt disk on the back of the button and sorbothane on the back of the driver which changed the 225e quite a bit, better than the PS500e and in some ways better than a RS2e.

If you want a more laid back sound but still keeping it close to the Grado sound then look at a Nhoord Red V2 driver, fairly close in sound to the SR225e but with better bass and smoother highs to many that have heard them.

Sep 23, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #36,342 of 65,550
i know. i think the headphone currently at ruthieandjohn's hand and it's only been 2 impressions so far:triportsad:

i think i need to be patient which i want to share my experience. i like good music, if it's good music it's a good music, but i have to be honest i don't really give much appreciation to jazz, i like jazz but if i have to pick one i still pick rock/metal than jazz any day but as i'm getting older, i listen to jazz, it's all right, i enjoy it but that's it. nothing really special for me however for last couple weeks. i've been listening to jazz almost exclusively, i only played 1 or two rock albums lately, and i think 2 days ago i listen to miles davis's album again. at night. man what an experience. it's just...listening jazz at night that's something else. anyway it was cowboy bebop ost album that really put the groove on for me. is there any message to this story? yes. you need to get older to enjoy and fully appreciate jazz :D

I am totally with you on the Cowboy Bebop OST. So much great music on there, covering all moods. And I have a hard time finding jazz that appeals to me as well. I think it's because I prefer my music to have a more defined base. Not a huge fan of someone going off on an improv journey. I mean, I enjoy a good solo during a song, whatever the instrument. I like some Dave Brubeck. Just have had a hard time settling into the genre.

Sep 23, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #36,344 of 65,550

+1 for the Cowboy Bebop soundtracks; found them to be so good i imported all the albums from japan.

the jazzworld eludes me, a lot of good material can't be found on CD, and jazz is so broad it's difficult to figure out what it is you like.

Sep 23, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #36,345 of 65,550

I have completed the initial listening and analysis for my review of the PS2000e. I am reviewing the data and going back to repeat or perform measurements on any questionable or missing results.

Here is what I have done:
  1. Performed my 10-feature acoustic comparison of the PS2000e, PS1000e, and PS1000;
  2. For four musical selections that excite me (D. Krall, Beethoven, Gershwin, E. Inglesias), I have assessed which of the three above headphones "excite" me the most, and why (e.g. "bass with Headphone B really makes Song 2 sizzle!");
  3. Performed my 10-feature acoustic comparison of the PS2000e, HiFiMAN HE1000, and Sennheiser HD800 (each driven by its own best DAC and amp, so actually comparing chains)
  4. For those same four exciting musical selections, compared the excitement factor (and reasons) for the three headphones of #3 above;
  5. Used an abbreviated set of my 10-feature acoustic set to compare the performance of the PS2000e when driven by the Schiit Bifrost Multibit DAC with Schiit Lyr2, the Lotoo PAW Gold DAP, and the Chord Hugo;
  6. Used my wife Ruthie to compare the "excitement" factor of all five headphones on yet another piece of music (Amber Rubarth) (Ruthie can hear differences between headphones that I miss).
I am now in the midst of reviewing the data, filling holes, and trying to formulate some conclusions that span various types of music.

Stay tuned... I expect to post the review in a couple of days.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back