Grado Fan Club!
Jun 23, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #25,921 of 65,482
  Trifecta Perfacta... SR325i, SR325is, SR325e

My third SR325, the SR325is, just arrived.  As advertised and as I hoped, it is one of the shiny chrome ones, rather than the satin metal finish.

So now with the three of them, I can perform my 3-way comparison of 325 headphones... as I search for the most acid, the most painful, the most treble Grado, the one that separates the men from the boys... the one that is the wasabi of headphones, that places the icepick into my eardrums.  It isn't the SR325e -- will it be the SR325i (gold) or the SR325is (shiny silver)???

Grado SR325i (gold, top), SR325is (shiny silver, middle), and SR325e (satin, bottom).

I envy you! And my bet is on the 325i!

Jun 23, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #25,922 of 65,482
Had a dream last night that I was eating these two cakes someone had baked me, and inside one was an rs1 with buttons and inside the other was a gh1.... took for ever to clean them tho. I think I gotta slow down here guys...

Jun 23, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #25,923 of 65,482
Had a dream last night that I was eating these two cakes someone had baked me, and inside one was an rs1 with buttons and inside the other was a gh1.... took for ever to clean them tho. I think I gotta slow down here guys...

So what do the GH-1's look like?

Jun 23, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #25,924 of 65,482

So what do the GH-1's look like?

Ha ha ha..

Jun 23, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #25,925 of 65,482
time for some tunes , one acoustic, one electric 

gary vereen was panic's road manager(since the beginning) , he was killed in a domestic dispute(his son) , very sad, tragic story

Jun 23, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #25,927 of 65,482
Jun 23, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #25,928 of 65,482
  Trifecta Perfecta... SR325i, SR325is, SR325e

My third SR325, the SR325is, just arrived.  As advertised and as I hoped, it is one of the shiny chrome ones, rather than the satin metal finish.

So now with the three of them, I can perform my 3-way comparison of 325 headphones... as I search for the most acid, the most painful, the most treble Grado, the one that separates the men from the boys... the one that is the wasabi of headphones, that places the icepick into my eardrums.  It isn't the SR325e -- will it be the SR325i (gold) or the SR325is (shiny silver)???

Grado SR325i (gold, top), SR325is (shiny silver, middle), and SR325e (satin, bottom).

This is going to be riveting !!! <now I hunker down with a good brew by messed and wait in anticipation of a well constructed writeup ~ Let the can-jam begin>  
gs1000.gif

Jun 23, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #25,929 of 65,482
  good move IMO. Looking at that link that @kayandjohn posted for the NOS rs1 is oh so very tempting! So much so, that I was seriously considering it over the new limited edition Grado!

My first encounter with Grado, was with the classic RS1, and I still remember how impressed I was by them. Two years later, my dealer brought in the Grado line, so I sold my Sennheiser HD600, and bought my GS1000, but the RS1 have always been in the back of my mind.

So, when I ordered my n.o.s RS1, I knew exactly what I was buying. The only thing that had me worried, is that I might be...say...less impressed by the RS1, because by then, I had bought my PS, and HP1000, wich had set the bar pretty high.

although I wasn't floored like the first time, I was pleasantly surprised by them. They have even become my second favorites, right after my PS1k. I would even say the for a few particular recordings, they are now my go to headphones.

To be completly honest, I am tempted by the GH-1, after all I did buy the Bushmills. The only thing that's holding me back is the fact that shortly after I bought my Bushmills, Grado started shipping many Frankensteins versions, without making sure that their cutomers were informed of what they were actually buying.

Oh!, and for the record, I'm happy to report that my RS1 are flawless, and I mean flawless by anyone's standards, not just Grados.
wink.gif

Right now, my hearth is saying, go ahead buy the GH-1, they won't mess up a special edition, while my head is saying, well...you know.
confused.gif

I just realized that you said, "was seriously considering", so I guess that means that you decided to pre order the GH-1.

Jun 23, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #25,930 of 65,482

My first encounter with Grado, was with the classic RS1, and I still remember how impressed I was by them. Two years later, my dealer brought in the Grado line, so I sold my Sennheiser HD600, and bought my GS1000, but the RS1 have always been in the back of my mind.

So, when I ordered my n.o.s RS1, I knew exactly what I was buying. The only thing that had me worried, is that I might be...say...less impressed by the RS1, because by then, I had bought my PS, and HP1000, wich had set the bar pretty high.

although I wasn't floored like the first time, I was pleasantly surprised by them. They have even become my second favorites, right after my PS1k. I would even say the for a few particular recordings, they are now my go to headphones.

To be completly honest, I am tempted by the GH-1, after all I did buy the Bushmills. The only thing that's holding me back is the fact that shortly after I bought my Bushmills, Grado started shipping many Frankensteins versions, without making sure that their cutomers were informed of what they were actually buying.

Oh!, and for the record, I'm happy to report that my RS1 are flawless, and I mean flawless by anyone's standards, not just Grados.
wink.gif

Right now, my hearth is saying, go ahead buy the GH-1, they won't mess up a special edition, while my head is saying, well...you know.
confused.gif

I just realized that you said, "was seriously considering", so I guess that means that you decided to pre order the GH-1.

Stacker, you're having every Grado models in the upper range. Even the HP1k!

Jun 23, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #25,931 of 65,482
Trifecta Perfecta Compared:  SR325i, SR325is, SR325e

I performed my customary 10-feature comparative listening tests upon the Grado SR325i, SR325is, and SR325e.

In short, the SR325i is the most transparent and treble, The SR325i, more than the other 325 headphones, is the one that will make strong men weep, eyes water, and ears sting... that is, it has the (most deliciously, impolite, refreshingly different) treble.

Here is a table describing the results.

SR325i excels at treble features including transparency and high frequency detail; SR325e is tamer, more polite, and has largest sound stage.

I can almost imagine Grado releasing the first of these three, the SR325i (Golden Anniversary edition, in 2003, the 50th anniversary of the start of Grado in 1953), then receiving complaints and photos of bandaged ears, and then taming them down to produce the SR325is (which came in either satin metal or shiny chrome... I am fortunate to have the shiny chrome).

Then in 2014, as part of its new -e line, the SR325e was produced, improving some of the subtle, hard-to-improve aspects (e.g., soundstage) while preserving the tamer nature of the SR325is.  The differences are very small, as I think total score differences of 3 are significant, and here we have only a difference of 2 in total scores across the three headphones.

I love them all!

Jun 23, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #25,932 of 65,482

I performed my customary 10-feature comparative listening tests upon the Grado SR325i, SR325is, and SR325e.

In short, the SR325i is the most transparent and treble, The SR325i, more than the other 325 headphones, is the one that will make strong men weep, eyes water, and ears sting... that is, it has the (most deliciously, impolite, refreshingly different) treble.

SR325i excels at treble features including transparency and high frequency detail; SR325e is tamer, more polite, and has largest sound stage.

I can almost imagine Grado releasing the first of these three, the SR325i (Golden Anniversary edition, in 2003, the 50th anniversary of the start of Grado in 1953), then receiving complaints and photos of bandaged ears, and then taming them down to produce the SR325is (which came in either satin metal or shiny chrome... I am fortunate to have the shiny chrome).

Then in 2014, as part of its new -e line, the SR325e was produced, improving some of the subtle, hard-to-improve aspects (e.g., soundstage) while preserving the tamer nature of the SR325is.  The differences are very small, as I think total score differences of 3 are significant, and here we have only a difference of 2 in total scores across the three headphones.

I love them all!

Whats your opinion on the 325is's vocals compared too the i/e series?

Jun 23, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #25,933 of 65,482

I love them all!

So, the 325i Gold is only 1 point shy of a PS1000?  Didn't you say differences of 3 are significant?  I mean no offense, and I do appreciate your efforts, but something either doesn't add up, or I'm misunderstanding your charts.  

Or the Gold 300i is as good as a PS1000....which I find hard to believe.
biggrin.gif

Jun 24, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #25,934 of 65,482
So, the 325i Gold is only 1 point shy of a PS1000?  Didn't you say differences of 3 are significant?  I mean no offense, and I do appreciate your efforts, but something either doesn't add up, or I'm misunderstanding your charts.  

Or the Gold 300i is as good as a PS1000....which I find hard to believe.:D

Each table compares three headphones to each other. Each table of three headphone comparisons is completely separate from any other three-headphone comparison table, just like 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place in the pie eating contest at the Ohio State Fair is independent of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place at the Michigan State Fair. Only by including the same headphone in two different contests can you start to combine these three-headphone rank order lists.

The only difference here is that we have 10 three way contests in a table, then add up the number of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place each headphone earns in comparison with the others in the table.

So if a SR325i outshines a SR325is and SR325e in one area, say, transparency, that says nothing about how it compares to a PS1000 in transparency. And then if a PS1000 outshines two other headphones, say a GS1000 and an HP1000 in transparency, both the SR325i and the PS1000 have won first place in their respective contests, but cannot be compared to each other unless there is a headphone common to both trios.

Furthermore, each feature of the ten is given equal weight when you just add them all up, while in terms of preference, we may value one feature, say transparency, as much as we value treble detail, yet there is only one transparency feature and several features related to treble detail, making a simple addition give undue emphasis to treble detail over transparency.

Finally, I have made an attempt to properly combine many three-way compares of Grados, where I have included the same headphones in multiple compares. That effort is in the post linked in my signature called 4D Plot of 13 Grados. However, it predates comparing multiple SR325 types as done here, having only the SR325e.

Make sense?

Jun 24, 2015 at 4:57 AM Post #25,935 of 65,482
Originally Posted by stacker45 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

snip....
confused.gif

Ha!

wink.gif

I was actually trying to buy an HD800, but the deal has all but fell through , so (if it's still available) I'm will pre-order one VERY soon. Regardless of what size driver they use for the GH-1, I have a feeling it'll be a great headphone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back