Grado Ear Cushions
Aug 2, 2006 at 11:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Gradofan2

Headphoneus Supremus
I realize this topic has been presented previously... but, with all the current interest in Grados by "nubees"... I thought it might deserve a "reprise."

I read in a much earlier post(s) that you could increase the comfort of Grados headphones and tame their highs a bit by several alternatives:

1. Buy some "flat pads" and replace the Grado bowl pads with flat pads. However, when I tried this option it seemed to muddy the sound... and the flat pads are way too expensive for muddy sound.

2. Reverse the bowl pads. This solution is very effective at taming the bright highs a bit, and most importantly it's "free."

3. Buy some Senn HD414 pads (bright yellow) and dye them black with RIT dye. This solution is also a fairly effective alternative for taming the bright highs a bit... and most importantly it only costs about $10. You can buy the pads from SennheiserUSA.com for $4.00 + shipping. These pads are more comfortable than the bowl pads and don't seem to muddy the sound like the flat pads do. They do just barely fit over the Grado bowl housing - but they do fit with some careful stretching.

http://shop.sennheiserusa.com/retail...ct_prod=019545

4. Oh yes... as they said... I forgot, you can also buy some "comfy" pads from Headroom, or Radio Shack, which are a bit like the Senn HD414 pads (flatter and softer, except black). I've not tried these, but I assume they have some of the same qualitities of the HD414 pads.

5. And... others have bought some foam, or velour (either other headphone pads, or fabric) to use as linings beneath, or over the bowl pads to improve their comfort and reduce their brilliance. I've not tried these options either, but I assume they do smooth the sound a bit.

Of course - the best alternative is to find a source, amp and IC cables that will mate well with Grados - but, it's costly.

GF2

Aug 2, 2006 at 11:39 PM Post #2 of 16
i just did a comparison between bowls and hd414 pads that nobody read

and that makes me a sad panda
frown.gif

Aug 3, 2006 at 12:39 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325
i just did a comparison between bowls and hd414 pads that nobody read

and that makes me a sad panda
frown.gif

I read it! I read it!!

I did!

....my next cans will come with bowls, so I'll be doing a test then, too!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 3, 2006 at 3:12 AM Post #6 of 16
YOu forgot to mention the Radioshack comfy alternative. Also, you can put another piece of soft foam between the bowls and the drivers (I did a thread on this; I used K81DJ foams).

Aug 3, 2006 at 3:17 AM Post #7 of 16
You can buy the Grado comfy pads at Headroom.

They add some bass and are way more comfy than the bowls.

Grados + Comfy pads =
cool.gif

Aug 3, 2006 at 5:53 AM Post #8 of 16
I turned my bowls around and it really improved comfort and bass without making it muddy.

edit: forgot to mention... The comfort increased for those without glasses. If I wear my glasses, I use my bowls normally. No glasses, I flip them over.

Aug 3, 2006 at 1:34 PM Post #9 of 16
What's the consensus in sound difference between comfies, bowls, and flats? I plan on purchasing some SR225s and some flat pads from Todd in the near future, but I'm not sure if I'll be doing the right thing. With the SR60 and the nickel-pad-modded comfies, I don't think they're bright at all, for reference. Bass is great.

Aug 4, 2006 at 1:53 AM Post #10 of 16
As I said... I prefer the reversed bowls to the flat pads. To me the flat pads seemed to muddy the sound a bit... and were way too expensive.

And... if you don't find the Grados too bright, then I definitely wouldn't make the investment in flat pads, unless you just want a more comfortable pad... but, then if that's all your after get the inexpensive comfies from Radio Shack. I have no idea how the comfies sound.

If you're after the flat pad look, then get the HD414 pads, and dye them black - both comfort and good SQ that isn't too muddy. I would admit the flat pads look the best.

Aug 4, 2006 at 2:43 AM Post #11 of 16
I've rather taken a liking to the 414s in standard yellow for a couple of reasons: They're easy to see in partial darkness; keeping me and the kids from sitting on them if I absent mindedly set them down somewhere. And during my daily search for "Grattle", I find it easier to find the errent hairs with the bright yeller pad background.

My ears are also just exactly the right size to snuggle right on into the pads when they're reversed. Now THAT'S the meaning of "comfy"! And real stable too!!

Aug 4, 2006 at 2:46 AM Post #12 of 16
I agree with Aflac on SR60 nickle mod comfies. Even with my more expensive cans, amps, etc. I am still of the opinion that SR60's remain the best spent $69 on planet headphone.

Aug 4, 2006 at 10:51 PM Post #14 of 16
I'm listening to my RS-1's right now with some quater-modded comfies and I am in bliss!

These are waaaay more comfortable than the flat pads I was using.

The treble freqs seem to be just slightly rolled off, but certainly not much. And the increase in comfort is way worth it.

I wonder if I could fix the treble if I could only find a 50 cent piece?
rs1smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back