Grado e Series
Mar 2, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #6,151 of 6,729

Ahw, it's a shame you sold your RS1i.

It's ok, since I've always thought that choosing between Grados from the 325s upward is a matter of taste... I liked my RS1i a lot but it didn't play Metal as good as the 325is. As I have a family now the joys of high-ranged gears cannot feel as complete as before, too. But all in all I do like my 325e a lot. Definitely the single best price/performance headphone I've purchased.

Mar 2, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #6,152 of 6,729

As popular as the RS1i are, I still think that Grado got it right the first time, with the RS1.

Ask me how grateful I am to John, for giving me the chance to buy a pair of flawless, classic RS1, that were brand new, in the box.
beerchug.gif

How grateful are you? 
biggrin.gif

Mar 2, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #6,153 of 6,729
  It's ok, since I've always thought that choosing between Grados from the 325s upward is a matter of taste... I liked my RS1i a lot but it didn't play Metal as good as the 325is. As I have a family now the joys of high-ranged gears cannot feel as complete as before, too. But all in all I do like my 325e a lot. Definitely the single best price/performance headphone I've purchased.

I recently bought 325e's to "supplement" my RS1i's,
and in some ways I enjoy listening to the 325e's more.

They also seem more comfortable somehow.

Mar 3, 2016 at 2:30 AM Post #6,155 of 6,729

Haha 2 years ago I had the 325e, RS1i and PS500 and a few entry level Grados. It felt great.
Funny I've always thought the 325 line is less comfortable among the house. It's definitely only less heavy than the PS1k, but the PS1k has G Pads. Even the PS500 feels lighter because most of it is wood.

how does the igi sounds btw?

is it a good IEM for rock/metal?

It is good for Rock and Metal and having owned both the iGi and the GR10 I think that the iGi feels more Grado-like than the GR10. My major complaint about the flagship Grado IEM is that it lacks bass. I've not tried the GR10e though.

Even then, if you don't mind sound leaks then I suggest the eGrado would be a better choice. It offers the true Grado sound at half the price of the iGi. Comfort might be a problem with the i/eGrado, so I suggest you try them first. The iGi, on the other hand, is as comfortable as any other lightweight IEMs.

Mar 3, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #6,156 of 6,729

When it comes to the SR325e I certainly concur with both of you lehoang15tuoi & zazex.  Here's (for those interested) the review that helped me decide to buy them also and oh am I ever glad I did :

These HPs are pretty astounding performance wise. BTW I started using them with G-cush & just like my PS500e I like their overall sound better with those not to mention the overall comfort.  

Mar 5, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #6,157 of 6,729
I compared the Grado GH-1, the GH-1 with G Cush, and the RS2e using the 10-feature, 3-way method I often use, which I report in the GH-1 thread here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/775282/grado-gh-1-discussion/675#post_12397254 . In short, the replacement of the L bowls on the GH-1 with over-ear G-Cush improves its sound to very close to that of the RS2e. The RS2e excels at transparency, the GH-1 at subbass, and the GH-1 with G Cush at soundstage and positional resolution.

Mar 5, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #6,159 of 6,729
  Quick question, is it worth the extra cash for the sr125e over the sr80e? i heard the only difference is the quality of the copper cable or something? 

They both use the same cable.

EDIT: My mistake their not the same, sorry Seems Grado is using the 8-conductor UPLC oxygen-free copper voice coil/cable on the 125e…I think they only used this in the 225 and up with the (i) series Grados. The 80 uses a 4-conductor cable and doesn't state that it is the UPLC.

Mar 6, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #6,162 of 6,729
  Quick question, is it worth the extra cash for the sr125e over the sr80e? i heard the only difference is the quality of the copper cable or something? 

Grado SR80e vs. SR125e vs. SR125

Inspired by both @pmarrison 's question and my being inundated with new headphones I plan to compare, I decided to compare the SR80e, SR125e, and SR125 using my three-way method, here.  This combination both looks at differences in the "e" series vs the original (non-i) version of the same headphone model (SR125/e) and compares headphones adjacent in the model line (SR80e vs. SR125e).

Here are the three headphones, as well as my iPod source playing one of the chosen test songs at CD quality (lossless) through my Joseph Grado HPA-1 amp used in this comparison.

Headphones compared (clockwise from top) SR125, SR125e, and SR80e.

Here are the results.  For each of the 10 acoustics tests (one per line), each headphone was ranked as best (3 points, blue 1st prize "ribbon" color), second best (2 points, red), or worst (yellow, 1 point).  Ties were allowed, indeed encouraged when I could not hear a clear difference: I show ties for first place (2.5 points, purple = blue + red) and for second place (1.5 points, orange = red + yellow).

Though really meaningless, it is tempting and fun to total the scores for each of the 10 features for each headphone into a total score at the bottom.  Why meaningless?  Because to rank a headphone best based on 10 acoustic test rankings like this weights each test equally (e.g., bass heads might really emphasize the importance of bass, which only contributes to 10% of these tests) and leaves out some tests important to some people (e.g., vocals) and adds tests that may not be important to others (e.g., bass drum "twang" rather than thump).  Why fun?  Because how can one have a table of numbers purporting to compare things without yielding to the temptation to compute a total score?

So here is the table of comparisons:

The table shows that the SR125 excels at tranparency and high-frequency details, such as the reedy quality of well-reproduced brass and organ and the pluck of a finger upon a bass string.  The SR125e provides the strongest bass and largest soundstage, which is consistent with its greater separation of the driver from the ear (note how much thinner the SR125 at the top of the picture is than the SR125e or SR80e below it).  The SR80 was strong in transparency and treble detail as well, and accurately preserved the "twang" of a bass kick drum.

So while in overall score, the SR80e and the SR125e are essentially identical (differences of 3 or more are significant), the SR80e might appeal more for those seeking transparency and treble detail, while the SR125e might appeal to those seeking more bass and more soundstage. The SR125 original version outshines both others in most of these tests, despite weakness in soundstage.  It is also the most comfortable, as it is thinner on the ear and lighter in weight than the two -e series headphones.

Mar 7, 2016 at 6:15 AM Post #6,163 of 6,729
Thanks for the info guys and excellent write up @kayandjohn . One final Question. Does the 125e have the same sort of bass impact as the more expensive 325s? i had a listen to my brothers 325is yesterday and they are relentless in the bass department. They just keep going and going on heavy drum and bass music.

Mar 7, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #6,164 of 6,729
  Thanks for the info guys and excellent write up @kayandjohn . One final Question. Does the 125e have the same sort of bass impact as the more expensive 325s? i had a listen to my brothers 325is yesterday and they are relentless in the bass department. They just keep going and going on heavy drum and bass music.

@pmarrison I have the SR325, SR325i, SR325is, and SR325e, and I'd be happy to take a quick listen to compare bass to the 125e... but which of those four 325 does your brother have?  (if it is gold, it is the SR325i, if it is shiny chrome, it is the SR325is, but there are also some satin SR325is headphones as well... and of course if it says SR325e, it is the SR325e).

Mar 7, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #6,165 of 6,729
  @pmarrison I have the SR325, SR325i, SR325is, and SR325e, and I'd be happy to take a quick listen to compare bass to the 125e... but which of those four 325 does your brother have?  (if it is gold, it is the SR325i, if it is shiny chrome, it is the SR325is, but there are also some satin SR325is headphones as well... and of course if it says SR325e, it is the SR325e).

They are the 325is which have the chrome back. A quick comparison in the bass department between those and the 125e would be golden! I'm into fast paced electronic stuff and the 325is just seem to be relentless on delivering super tight low end compared to other open phones i have listened to. Dt880 and hd 650 seem a lot more laid back, Its like they cant keep up the pace compared to the grados. im into stuff like this producing and listening. Fast and relentless
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back