Grado e Series
Jun 26, 2016 at 9:47 PM Post #6,451 of 6,729
For something cheap and of high quality, I'd recommend you guys get the JDS O2+ODAC (go for the low-gain version) or the Magni 2 Modi 2 combo. There is some difference between the 2 combos, personally I like the O2 ODAC more but it's not by much.
If your budget allows more, go for the Mojo, iDSD Micro or m9xx. All of these are also great bangs for the bucks and inherit a lot of great stuffs from their thousand-dollar counterparts, most important of all is of course sound quality. And yep they pair well with my Grados.

Jun 27, 2016 at 1:24 AM Post #6,452 of 6,729
i can vouch for the idsd. it hits way higher than it costs. it is bigger than the fiio but in a different category. i doubt anyone is walking around with grados on anyways so the dac dac/amp could be a little bigger. it is more money though but what you get is a huge step up i would imagine. i have heard the idsd but not the fiio. i think i can safely say the idsd is much better though. if money is a concern md often has a demo.

Jun 27, 2016 at 5:19 AM Post #6,453 of 6,729
my main source is Fiio X3ii, Grado sounds good straight from it..but would like to use better amp with it, any recommendations which one should i get?

doesn't have to be portable..don't mind desktop amp( im using Grado at home only anyway..)

Jun 27, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #6,455 of 6,729
  my main source is Fiio X3ii, Grado sounds good straight from it..but would like to use better amp with it, any recommendations which one should i get?

doesn't have to be portable..don't mind desktop amp( im using Grado at home only anyway..)

Grado themselves recommend their RA1 amp, as well as the Schiit Lyr 2 (has to be the "2", as you use it at the low gain setting that the original Lyr did not have).

People like the Little Dot 1+ hybrid amp, as well as the Mapletree Audio Design (MAD) HD+.  I have and love the Joseph Grado HPA-1 amp (no longer available new, but can get used).  Joseph Grado recommended and used the Melos SHA-1 Gold (also no longer made but available used... very temperamental, though).  Some folks like the JDS C-MOY BB 2.03 amp (comes in an Altoids tin), though I have found it to distort strong subbass.  See my comparisons here:

Jun 27, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #6,456 of 6,729
I posted my impression on the Little Dot I+ with Burson V5 opamp driving my 325e a few days ago here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/364043/little-dot-i-tube-rolling/2700#post_12672842
I've since moved on to use the idsd micro to pair with the Little Dot and it's still pretty much on par. The idsd sound signature is best for Grados: very linear but still very big soundstage. That dac alone should make for a perfect purchase for Grado lovers, but never say no to the loveliness of tubes!

Jun 27, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #6,457 of 6,729
Not sure if this is the right thread to post in. But I recently got a Grado PS500e.

I've had Grado before, as I've had a long history of collecting headphones from Grado SR-80s to Sennheiser HD-800s. I've tried most of the major brands, and at one point or another have owned (and then traded or sold) a lot of the important headphones. Grado was one of the first audiophile  headphones I got into. And I eventually stayed away from them, as I realized my ears were very sensitive to certain treble, certain peaks/highs. I found myself getting ear fatigue with the Grado line.

Over the years, I eventually settled with Sennheiser being my fav line of cans. I used the HD-650, then made the jump to the HD-800 (had to do some EQing + modding to get a sound that worked for me). But recently, I had been craving a different sound (just another option to listen to music). So I looked back to Grado, because the PS500e has a more dark/warm sound. It's considered to have a smooth/easy going sound. 

So I bought it, and after a week of using them, I'm totally falling in love. I got the G-Cups (or whatever the fish bowl cups are called). And I love the warm sound, the bass punch, + the ear pads give a nice enough soundstage. But best of all, I realized how much I had missed Treble. I have been so shy and scared of jumping into anything with a lot of treble, for fear of ear fatigue. But the PS500es don't give me fatigue. So I'm getting a warm/bassy sound + a crunchier bite. I'm also surprised by how light these headphones are compared to other ones I've owned. I forgot how small/light Grado cans can be.

I really could not be happier. I'm actually finding myself wanting to used these over my HD-800s (but to be fair, I am in a honeymoon phase). Still, it's just great to have another option.

Apart of me wonders if I should consider sending them back, and trying the GH-1 or the GS2000e, or something else in the line. But I also don't want to tempt fate. I do know that most of Grados headphones, have a sound sig that doesn't match my ears well. And the PS500e is a great match. What do you guys think? Should I consider trying the other ones? Or just stick with this. 

I guess I'm kind of intrigued by the other cans being Wood designed (the PS500e has aluminum as well as Wood). Or is the PS500e truly the only Grado can that has this kind of sound sig? Would also try the GS1000e, but not sure how the sound sig is on those ones compared to the PS500e. I do think they look much more beautiful then the PS500e (the big wood cups). And I can afford to get them. 

Jun 27, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #6,458 of 6,729

Hi.  My favorite is Aune T1 with a good selection of tubes.  You need to use the USB conection.  I have a E288CC tube for classic and an Amperex 7308 tube for rock and jazz. Im very happy with this combination. 

Jun 27, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #6,460 of 6,729
  Not sure if this is the right thread to post in. But I recently got a Grado PS500e.

I've had Grado before, as I've had a long history of collecting headphones from Grado SR-80s to Sennheiser HD-800s. I've tried most of the major brands, and at one point or another have owned (and then traded or sold) a lot of the important headphones. Grado was one of the first audiophile  headphones I got into. And I eventually stayed away from them, as I realized my ears were very sensitive to certain treble, certain peaks/highs. I found myself getting ear fatigue with the Grado line.

Over the years, I eventually settled with Sennheiser being my fav line of cans. I used the HD-650, then made the jump to the HD-800 (had to do some EQing + modding to get a sound that worked for me). But recently, I had been craving a different sound (just another option to listen to music). So I looked back to Grado, because the PS500e has a more dark/warm sound. It's considered to have a smooth/easy going sound. 

So I bought it, and after a week of using them, I'm totally falling in love. I got the G-Cups (or whatever the fish bowl cups are called). And I love the warm sound, the bass punch, + the ear pads give a nice enough soundstage. But best of all, I realized how much I had missed Treble. I have been so shy and scared of jumping into anything with a lot of treble, for fear of ear fatigue. But the PS500es don't give me fatigue. So I'm getting a warm/bassy sound + a crunchier bite. I'm also surprised by how light these headphones are compared to other ones I've owned. I forgot how small/light Grado cans can be.

I really could not be happier. I'm actually finding myself wanting to used these over my HD-800s (but to be fair, I am in a honeymoon phase). Still, it's just great to have another option.

Apart of me wonders if I should consider sending them back, and trying the GH-1 or the GS2000e, or something else in the line. But I also don't want to tempt fate. I do know that most of Grados headphones, have a sound sig that doesn't match my ears well. And the PS500e is a great match. What do you guys think? Should I consider trying the other ones? Or just stick with this. 

I guess I'm kind of intrigued by the other cans being Wood designed (the PS500e has aluminum as well as Wood). Or is the PS500e truly the only Grado can that has this kind of sound sig? Would also try the GS1000e, but not sure how the sound sig is on those ones compared to the PS500e. I do think they look much more beautiful then the PS500e (the big wood cups). And I can afford to get them. 

The PS500 can come rather close to the other member of its Professional Series, which is the PS1000, if you put the over-ear G Cush on it.  Here is my comparison of the two, both with G Cush.  Higher scores are better.

PS500 with G Cush matches PS1000 on many features, falling short on subbase and treble detail ("finger pluck").

Jun 27, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #6,461 of 6,729
Appreciate the reply and your analysis!

Interesting. Had no idea the PS500e held up nicely to the PS1000e. I actually do have G cushion cups on my 500s and I love them.

I was curious about the GS1000e then. How is that compared to the PS series? From what I've read, it's a pretty laid back/musical sound? Is it also more on the "warm" side as PS500e?

I'm really considering trying it out. So I guess I should just listen for myself and compare. Just curious if they are drastically different. I did read that the GS has a wide sound stage.

Only thing I think might be a big negative, is I believe the Bass is less impactful then my 500e, and I already have an HD800. But I still want to try another Grado. I'm really fascinated by them after having the ps500e with G Cushion for a week. It's the first time in a long time I've felt in love with a headphone. I'm also a big fan of wood cans (which is why the GS1000e is tempting me).

I guess I've just shyed away from Grado in the past because the SR-325 gave me ear fatigue and I found the SR series to not be a good match for my ears. So I avoided Grado for a long time. But my PS500e w/ g cushion was a big revelation for me. Eye opening. Really brought to life my music while also having a warmer sound sig.

I kind of regret not trying the Rs1 since they are so fabled. But now that I have the ps500e, I doubt I will. Was just curious about the GS1000e as well as the flagship PS1000e. If the 1000 is similar enough, then I'm more curious to go in the GS direction possibly.

Or maybe I should just be content with what I have. I'm just fascinated with the Grado sound now, as long as it's more on the warm side (if other Grados are like that).

Jun 27, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #6,462 of 6,729

You should really consider trying the GH1 w/G-cushions! 
L3000.gif

Jun 27, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #6,463 of 6,729
  @waifu interesting. I think I'd like to hear the PS500e. I think especially if I can try them with a G-cushion, (which yes that is the right name).

I read quite a mixed impression of that headphone.

I might not be the best person for impressions for Grado. A lot of their headphones give me ear fatigue. But the PS500e are really wonderful at least for me. They have a punchy bass (that has impact, which can be lessened if you use the G-Cushion cups, which also give you more soundstage), as well as have a good bite/energy to the overall sound. But I also tend to like Warm sound sigs. I can only say, that with the G Cushion cups on them, they are a pretty good balance of bass/soundstage and energy. I know there are prob other Grado cans that people like much more. But if you are someone like me, that has sensitive ears to Treble/certain peaks/highs in fqz, the PS500e are really easy going  headphones. 

I found them to be a really nice option alongside my HD-800s.  

You should really consider trying the GH1 w/G-cushions! 
L3000.gif

I know! I got my PS500e before realizing the GH1 just came out. You can only buy them through the site? Apart of me worries that they are too similar to the PS500e (even if they are better then the 500e). Or am I way off? I guess I should look more into them. I was going to try out the GS1000e next. But maybe I should aim my sites on the GH1 instead. 

And yeah, the G cushion cups are great. Love them. 

Jun 27, 2016 at 9:57 PM Post #6,464 of 6,729
  I know! I got my PS500e before realizing the GH1 just came out. You can only buy them through the site? Apart of me worries that they are too similar to the PS500e (even if they are better then the 500e). Or am I way off? I guess I should look more into them. I was going to try out the GS1000e next. But maybe I should aim my sites on the GH1 instead. 

Not sure if any stores stock them, but yes there are a few dealers who still have them online. I can't comment on the differences between the GH1 w/G and the PS500 because I've never heard the PS500/e, sorry, but @ruthieandjohn has a comparison chart which can give you an idea of what to expect from any Grado. He also ranks the GH1 w/G higher than the GS1Ke.

Jun 27, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #6,465 of 6,729

I might not be the best person for impressions for Grado. A lot of their headphones give me ear fatigue. But the PS500e are really wonderful at least for me. They have a punchy bass (that has impact, which can be lessened if you use the G-Cushion cups, which also give you more soundstage), as well as have a good bite/energy to the overall sound. But I also tend to like Warm sound sigs. I can only say, that with the G Cushion cups on them, they are a pretty good balance of bass/soundstage and energy. I know there are prob other Grado cans that people like much more. But if you are someone like me, that has sensitive ears to Treble/certain peaks/highs in fqz, the PS500e are really easy going  headphones. 

I found them to be a really nice option alongside my HD-800s.  

Thank you for writing back; that was kind.

I am thinking very slowly and carefully about more headphones. I am comfortable right now with my 225e, and that's probably because I am using a Chord Mojo with them. However I keep thinking about having some better quality headphones for audio-engineering. I might need something fairly flat for that. What I really think though is that I need some quality headphones that I know the frequency response graph for. Plus I need some that don't roll off in the bass like lower model Grado do. (Meaning if I mix comfortable for a rolled of bass, a more punchy bass headphone would make my music bass-banging.) I think I need to think more. Anyway I keep putting off getting the digital audio workstation I need to get going. Then I think by the time I spend on that and a new guitar I will not be thinking of buying more headphones. ....I am waffling now.

What I was always thinking however was that the PS500  (not i), would need G-cushion. To reduce the bass as it rolls off in the treble. We don't have graphs for the PS500e though, but that headphone is easily available new. Maybe, one day. (I can't help thinking that the PS1000 might be the best engineering headphone though.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back