Grado Comfort
Nov 16, 2009 at 7:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

digitaldave

500+ Head-Fier
A couple of years ago, I had a pair of Alessandro MS1, and although the sound was great, I just couldn't get on with them for more than a few minutes at a time, either with the 'comfies' or the bowls - either way, my ears just couldn't take it. Are there any ways to increase the comfort on the ears? I've read something about a new version of the bowls that's softer, but I might be imagining that. Also, how comfy are the Sennheiser 414 (I think, the yellow ones) pads? Are they a completely different feel to the Grado ones?

Many thanks,

Dave.

Nov 16, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #2 of 19
One thing you might what to try is washing the pads in warm soapy water and letting it air dry. This will soften the pads and make it more comfy. Also, don't be afraid to gently spread the head band to provide a better fit.

Hope this helps.
beyersmile.png

Nov 16, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #3 of 19
Your only satisfactory chance is to buy flats from Todd (TTVJ) for IIRC $36 per pair. Yes, they will reduce your soundstage - but you gain increased bass response, and the comfort.........all else is whistlin' Dixie.
Yes, I've had/have 325, RS-2, Ms Pro, RS-1, HP-2, and now both stock HF-2 and finally, VixenHF2

Nov 16, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #4 of 19
I think people that have trouble with Grado's hurting their ears probably are wearing supra-aurally (on top of the ears), which is the only way to wear them with the comfy pads. I have made a cheap modification of my MS-1i (see the MS-100 link in my sig) that allows me to wear mine circum-aurally (around the ears) with bowls, not comfy pads. Doing this and washing my bowls periodically with soft soap and hair conditioner allows me to wear my MS-1i for as long as I want to (up to 3 & 4 hours some nights).

Nov 16, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #5 of 19
If its the grill thats hurting your ears you could do the shack hack mod http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/gra...beware-294623/. Its pretty easy and it allows the ears to keep a little distance from the grill. But if you wanna change the sound signature then the MS-100 mod or MS-1000 mod are good ideas.

Nov 16, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #6 of 19
For the love of God - when are we going to man up on Head-Fi ? Anyone who find Grados uncomfortable needs to strap a pair of brand new ES7s on for an hour ....

Nov 16, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #8 of 19
Thanks for the replies everyone. I just checked back, and apparently I had flats, not bowls. However, I don't recall washing them, so maybe that was part fo the problem. Also, I didn't adjust the headband, probably because I felt that it was about the right fit. Maybe it's time to take another trip to Grado Land...
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 17, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #9 of 19
Grado and comfort just don't go in the same sentence when you compare them to other cans.

I dunno if it's still happening but I read something about JMoney Audio making grado pads!!

Probably a couple months away at least if it's gonna happen.

Nov 17, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #10 of 19
Maybe it's just me but I can wear MS1 w/HD414 pads all day long. Very light compared to most other cans.

Nov 17, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #11 of 19
Comfort is personal for sure. I can't stand headphones that clamp. Anything that puts pressure on my temples or my jaw are a big no no for me and therefore much of the Sennheiser line devastates me.

The tightest Grado I ever had was the HF-2 which I did not bend but could have used a bit of stretching out. My RS-1's were already stretched out when I received them, the GS-1000 and PS-1000 because of the large pads and the circumaural fit doesn't seem to require me to touch the headband, leaving only the PS-1's which I've tinkered with a and stretched so that they nearly hang by my ears rather than press at all on them. Very much how I had the HP-1000's when I owned them.

Nov 17, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bending the headband is the most effective way to increase comfort. Grados don't need to clamp your head very hard, so loosen them up a bit.

This. I found once I stretched and broke in the headband on my MS1's they felt much more comfortable for extended listening sessions.

Nov 17, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #13 of 19
+1 for shampooing. It may seem odd, but they really do feel a lot softer afterwards. A *lot* softer. Only downside is that you have to let them dry afterwards.

Nov 17, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #14 of 19
As a recent grado convert (sr80i's, with comfies), I find them a huge step up in comfort than anything else I have used up to this point. I went all bendy bendy on the headband shortly after getting them. Apparently I have an abnormally small cranium, and with the slider adjusters slammed right to the bottom, the band still didn't rest on my head (and i'm even rock'n the white mans afro right now!). So I 'squared' them off a bit, bringing the top of the band closer to my head, and with less pressure on my ears. I can listen for hours. And I have well over 100 hours of break-in time in the 2.5 weeks I've had them... just awesome... Bowls are next...

Nov 17, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #15 of 19
Yeah, you just need to bend the headband outwards. I can't imagine wearing "stock" Grados all the time. I have mine set up so that they just rest on your head very lightly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back