grado comfort
Jun 3, 2006 at 1:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

feh1325

Headphoneus Supremus
how does the comfort of a grado, more specifically, the alessandro ms1 compare to the imfamous sony mdrv300?

if its the same, or only slightly better, then i can rule grados out of all my future headphone purchases, even though i have read everywhere that they are the only way to go for rock

Jun 3, 2006 at 1:20 AM Post #2 of 27
well, I'm wearing my SR225 right now and I'm experiencing absolutely no discomfort. I have the headband bent so that the drivers touch lightly on my ears, and the headphones are so light I can barely feel them.

Jun 3, 2006 at 1:21 AM Post #3 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325
how does the comfort of a grado, more specifically, the alessandro ms1 compare to the imfamous sony mdrv300?

if its the same, or only slightly better, then i can rule grados out of all my future headphone purchases, even though i have read everywhere that they are the only way to go for rock

No, the MS1 is way better than that. Way better. Those things aren't wearable or listenable.

Jun 3, 2006 at 1:26 AM Post #4 of 27
The v300 looks exactly like the v150, which I own, so I'll assume that they feel about the same. The foam on the grado "comfy" pads feels more comfortable to me than the pleather on sony's vXXX headphones. If you manage to get Sennheiser HD414 pads for the MS-1, then it's even more comfortable. Coming from those crappy vXXX phones, the MS-1 will sound much much better too. Hell, even the cheap Koss KSC-75 would be an upgrade from those crap Sonys.

Jun 3, 2006 at 1:32 AM Post #5 of 27
I can't answer the comparison portion of your question, but I can offer an opinion of the MS-1s in a vaccuum.

With the comfies, the MS-1s are ....uh....comfy.

A lot of folks; myself included, have gone to the "Quarter-modded Senn HD414" pad modification.

The 414s all by themselves offer a slight increase in comfort and performance over the stock pads, but things get better yet when various sized holes are placed in the pads to allow different levels of sound transmission from the partially to fully exposed drivers.

....the "quarter sized" hole is a popular version.

The final iteration of the 414 is to install the pads reversed.

This gives maximum sound transmission with the greatest pad thickness benieth the ear giving(in my opinion)the greatest comfort, and stability over the ears.

I would say they're quite comfortable.

Jun 3, 2006 at 2:47 AM Post #7 of 27
A strange analogy I've used before is that grados are not a big plush leather couch, but they're not those hard plastic chairs that you have to sit on at school. They're like a good computer chair. They dont encourage you to fall asleep due to comfort like a leather couch, but they dont provide any discomfort at all. They're just neutral

This is based on the only grados i own, the ms2. the ms1 is said to be more comfy due to being lighter and having the "comfies" as opposed to bowls.

Jun 3, 2006 at 2:53 AM Post #8 of 27
would it be worth it to get the ms2? if i do get them, would they have synergy with my pa2v2?

and yes, i do want these to be my "be all to end all, run the hell away from headfi and all other equiptment" can

Jun 3, 2006 at 3:35 AM Post #9 of 27
I have always found grados much more comfortable then they look, more comfortable than most the headphones i have tried mainly because they sit lightly on my head...

Jun 3, 2006 at 12:36 PM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

would it be worth it to get the ms2?

The MS2 will be more uncomfortable, brighter and likely have you running from Head-Fi for other reasons that 'the one'
biggrin.gif

Jun 3, 2006 at 1:13 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

would it be worth it to get the ms2? if i do get them, would they have synergy with my pa2v2?

and yes, i do want these to be my "be all to end all, run the hell away from headfi and all other equiptment" can

My one desire at this moment is to upgrade from my MS-1s to MS2i, call them my "be all to end all, run the hell away from head-fi and all other equipment" can. And just enjoy my tunes.

That's my goal!!

Jun 3, 2006 at 2:20 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

For the last (end all) headphones, I wouldn't choose MS2. For that I'd choose something ultra comfortable, and very versatile kind of headphones.
MS2 might not be very comfortable for continuous, or constant use and re-use (eg. you use them for a few times a day).

That's because Grados headbands need to be readjusted everytime you wanna listen to them, and I don't think they are comfortable enough for constant use.

Soundwise, maybe it's a bit too fixated to music purpose only. Doesn't mean that its awful for movies, but movies you need wider soundstage (and comfort).

I recommend other more comfy and versatile headphones.

Jun 3, 2006 at 3:26 PM Post #13 of 27
My Grados are a lot more comfortable than I would have first thought. Go for the Alessandros.

Jun 3, 2006 at 4:03 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok
For the last (end all) headphones, I wouldn't choose MS2. For that I'd choose something ultra comfortable, and very versatile kind of headphones.
MS2 might not be very comfortable for continuous, or constant use and re-use (eg. you use them for a few times a day).

That's because Grados headbands need to be readjusted everytime you wanna listen to them, and I don't think they are comfortable enough for constant use.

The comfort of the MS2i is something that I also have some concerns of, but mostly because of the extra weight over the MS-1s.

....some folks say they're too heavy, others say they're not. Gotta do a five year search and tabulate the results!

I find that with the MS-1 and the reversed HD414s that band adjustability hasen't been an issue, nor has been wearability up to about four hours.

.......I don't think I'd want to go much beyond that!

In my situation though, unlike the OP, I searched out the Alessandro sound to try to duplicate the sound of my great speakers in my acoustically challenged room. The MS-1s come very close; the MS2i "should" be a bit closer.

Comfort falls a very close second in priority in my house. But is still very important.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back