Grado comfort mod - very simple!
Mar 14, 2006 at 9:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Icehawk

500+ Head-Fier
So my left ear gets sore from my Grados pretty quickly - I realized it isn't the bowls themselves (well they could be softer too) but that part of my ear contacts the hard plastic speaker grille/shield and that is what hurts.

Hrm... I had two pads from some cheapy streetstyles... and what I did was take the bowls off, cut the cheap pads into circles that fit inside the bowls and then put it all back together. Ah, definitely an improvement! Worth trying if you have some spare pads lying around, I think it took 30s from idea to on my head. Can't see how it would really affect the music either.

If for some reason you need pics I can do so in an hour or two.

Mar 14, 2006 at 10:19 PM Post #3 of 13
Or you could grab the RS foamies, place them on, then put the bowls over them. That's what I did for the 325i just as an experiment. I don't notic emuch difference to my ears, but I haven't taken them off.

Mar 14, 2006 at 10:32 PM Post #4 of 13
d1.jpg

Mar 14, 2006 at 10:35 PM Post #5 of 13
LOL, yeah I bet that is *slightly* more comfortable but somehow I doubt it took 30s and cost a bit more than my free foam
wink.gif
They look gorgeous Grawk - do you have a thread with commentary on them?

I'll snap some pics later so you can see exactly how I ghetto mod'd my SRs. I read a LOT of Grado threads but didn't see anyone mention what I tried although jbloudg20 sounds like he tried a similar mod.

Mar 14, 2006 at 10:41 PM Post #7 of 13
Hrm, I can only find your "joke" review thread - the others are all pics of the WIP. I saw the short blurb in another thread where you said they sound essentially the same but with a bigger soundstage.

What did you do with the PS-1 shells/parts?

Mar 15, 2006 at 12:11 AM Post #9 of 13
I bet you could cut up an HD414 pad and place it under there???? IMHO the HD414 foam blocks a lot less treble than many of the other earpad foams Ive messed with.

There was a thread a while back where someone took a rat shack foam pad and put them on underneath the bowls.

Im having kind of the same problem with my RS1 bowls which by now are really soggy.

I'll probably opt for the cpad route though.

Garrett

Mar 15, 2006 at 5:21 AM Post #11 of 13
Just tried this mod with some Sonystyle pads and HD414 pads over it, and seems alright. I think it loses some decay up top, and it seems like the bottom end is boosted up a little bit.

Mar 15, 2006 at 5:56 AM Post #12 of 13
just did it with my MS2 and some junk-can foam pads. theres a step down in clarity but a step up in comfort.

Going to socket mod the junk-pads
biggrin.gif

Garrett

Mar 15, 2006 at 7:01 AM Post #13 of 13
Thanks...I'll give it a try.
Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back