Grado cable question
Mar 3, 2006 at 4:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

mjb

100+ Head-Fier
Is there a reason the Grado cables can be pushed up into the cups? There's a plastic-glue piece keeping them from being pulled out, but nothing outside keeping it from being pushed in. Seems enough movement might damage the soldered connection to the driver. So I guess my question is...should I throw a thin strip of tape around the cable where it enters the cup, so it isn't able to move up into it? Or is there a sonic reason for this movement?

Thanks,
mjb

Mar 3, 2006 at 5:04 PM Post #2 of 5

mjb

100+ Head-Fier
FYI...

I decided to call Grado and ask this question...and basically they said I don't really need to worry about damaging the soldered connection from cable movement (cable being able to move up into the cup) and there's also no sonic reason the cable would need to move. They said if it would make me feel better, putting a thin strip of tape where the cable meets the cup (to keep it from moving up) would do no harm.

mjb

Mar 3, 2006 at 5:24 PM Post #3 of 5

kramer5150

Headphoneus Supremus
funny you mention this.... I just placed some black electrical tape on my RS1 to keep it in place last night.

Why does Grado do it this way?... because thats how John wants it. Dont like it? .. dont buy it

Mar 3, 2006 at 5:26 PM Post #4 of 5

[AK]Zip

Member of the Trade: APureSound
It goes up because the hole is bigger then the wire. It doesn't go down because there is a zip-tie on the other side not letting it go any further. Honestly you don't need to worry about it at all because you can't damage it from pushing up to high and the only way you will rip the wire out of the housing is if you pull hard enough to move the zip-tie.

-Alex-

Mar 3, 2006 at 5:30 PM Post #5 of 5

mjb

100+ Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
funny you mention this.... I just placed some black electrical tape on my RS1 to keep it in place last night.

Why does Grado do it this way?... because thats how John wants it. Dont like it? .. dont buy it

I was going to use a thin strip of electrical tape too...but I ended up using a thin strip of clear tape instead. Electrical tape is going to leave a lot of black gunk on the wood/cable. Just a head's-up....

mjb

Users who are viewing this thread