Grado Bowls...Ouch!
Jun 26, 2005 at 5:26 AM Post #16 of 46
Come on you wimps!! no pain no gain... LOL... JK. IMHO Bowls rock with my MS2. I love the highs and sparkle. The added ambiance and spatial separation is a bonus.

Give your ears a few days to *burn* in (literally). My ears were throbbing for 5-6 days then all of a sudden, they "bloomed".

IMHO of course...
biggrin.gif

Garrett

Jun 26, 2005 at 9:17 AM Post #17 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by sionghchan
I have also bought another pair of bowls for the SR60 ... Now, I'm really finding that it is overly bright with bowls... Maybe there IS a reason why John Grado designed the SR60 with comfies..

Anyone else here tried SR60 with bowls and liked the sound?

I've tried the SR-60 with the bowls, and IMHO they are horrible, overly bright and thin, not a Grado anymore.

The comfies are "OK", but the original project of the Sr-60 (as for the original project of every Grado headphones, except maybe the SR-325i) is with the flats.

And IMHO the flats make the Sr-60 really rock!

Andrea

Jun 26, 2005 at 9:41 AM Post #18 of 46
So:
Comfies - Most comfortable, lack in sound performance
Bowl - Least comfortable, toss up in sound performance; depends on personal taste (Best for Soundstage + Treble)
Flat - Average comfort, excell in sound performance (Best for Bass)

Is this correct? The bowl pads are meant to be supraaural, right? How are they uncomfortable? Can different ear pads really make that much of a difference in bass?

Jun 26, 2005 at 9:50 AM Post #19 of 46
Sort of off topic...but I didn't want to create another thread for such a simple question when there's already some Grado discussion going on here. I can't seem to find out: how long are the stock Grado headphone cables? I'm looking at getting an SR225 but wonder if the cord will be long enough for my setup. Thank you.

Jun 26, 2005 at 10:05 AM Post #20 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrOctagon
Sort of off topic...but I didn't want to create another thread for such a simple question when there's already some Grado discussion going on here. I can't seem to find out: how long are the stock Grado headphone cables? I'm looking at getting an SR225 but wonder if the cord will be long enough for my setup. Thank you.

About 2m on my SR60's.

Jun 26, 2005 at 12:47 PM Post #22 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
The original bowl pads are $15 at Todd's and his flat pads are $30. These are for the pair, right? If they are for a pair of pads, then I might pick up the bowl pads for the MS-1s since $15 isn't too bad. Is it hard to remove the pads and replace them with bowl pads on the MS-1s?

Comfies = no hole and sounds a little muffled.
Bowls = looks like a bowl with a hole in the middle and they are much clearer but some might thing it is too bright sounding, thus, fatiguing. However, you are right, treble and soundstaging goes up.
Flats = looks like a flat donut. Very thin. Seems to push up the bass and seems to be the favorite of lots of people here. Can only get from TTVJ.
Sennheiser HD414 pads = very much like comfies but thinner. With it modded with a hole cut in the middle and dyed black, lots of ppl like them here as well.

As for changing the pads on the MS1s, they are VERY easy to change. I personally like the sound of the bowls with my MS1s...but this is a very subjective and personal taste.

Good luck with your Grado/Alessandro pads journey!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 26, 2005 at 12:52 PM Post #23 of 46
I guess I'll stick with bowl pads for now and get flat pads next year. I'm sure going to miss the bass with the bowl pads, but treble and soundstage is more important to me.

Jun 26, 2005 at 1:06 PM Post #24 of 46
Er... Flats have more bass than Bowl's, you're comment should be reversed.

The easiest way to describe comfies is the foam covers you get with ear phones, except for a much bigger surface.

Jun 26, 2005 at 1:29 PM Post #25 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kazuya
Er... Flats have more bass than Bowl's, you're comment should be reversed.

Huh? How so? Flats have more bass than the Bowl pads. I'm getting the Bowl pads. Since the pads I'm getting have less bass, I'm going to miss the bass.

Jun 26, 2005 at 1:36 PM Post #26 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
Is this correct? The bowl pads are meant to be supraaural, right? How are they uncomfortable?

The bowls are stiffer and scratchy, so that's why most people seem to say that they are less comfy

BUT as I said before

To say the bowls are the most uncomfortable is a generalization.

I find them the MOST comfortable. When I have the bowls on, they surround my entire ear, and my ears never touch the pads at all. I just lessened the pressure so they headphones don't clamp as tight. I could easily listen for hours and not be bothered by wearing the bowls.

With the comfies, my ears touch the pads, and after a while, they get sore. Loosening the pressure as I did with the bowls then has the effect of making them sound too thin as they start to sit too far away from the ear. Since the bowls sit around the ear, they stay fairly close even though I loosened the headband.

Jun 26, 2005 at 2:06 PM Post #27 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
When I have the bowls on, they surround my entire ear, and my ears never touch the pads at all. I just lessened the pressure so they headphones don't clamp as tight. I could easily listen for hours and not be bothered by wearing the bowls.

My ears don't fit inside those tiny bowls. I have to rest them on my ears. Do you roll your ears down at the top? This may account for some people saying that Grados have a full bass while others say no bass.

They hurt my ears too, even after stretching the band so I defected to another make of phone to bring back comfort and more bass.

Jun 26, 2005 at 2:43 PM Post #28 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by iancraig10
My ears don't fit inside those tiny bowls. I have to rest them on my ears. Do you roll your ears down at the top? This may account for some people saying that Grados have a full bass while others say no bass.

YMMV of course, maybe my ears are smaller than average.

It's easy enough to try them in a store and confirm for yourself if you fall into that category....if so, then the bowls are not so bad.

Jun 26, 2005 at 4:04 PM Post #29 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by sionghchan
Sennheiser HD414 pads = very much like comfies but thinner. With it modded with a hole cut in the middle and dyed black, lots of ppl like them here as well.

You can also make a very comfortable makeshift bowl pad by cutting a smaller hole in them and flipping it around, that seems to force the outer rim to curl around a bit and make a "bowl".
You have to be careful though, there's not too much play between making the hole too big and ending up with another flat and making the hole too small and ripping it as you try to get it on the phone.

Jul 1, 2005 at 11:15 AM Post #30 of 46
Just got my RS-1s today. I've been rockin out with them on my noggin for over four hours now, using the stock bowl pads. I still don't even notice them...perhaps they're just made for ears like mine or something, since I don't feel any discomfort. I'll be giving the flats a shot in the near future...I'm curious how they stack up against these bowls, but for right now, these bowl pads suit me just fine. ...I assume going to flat pads would be the natural progression, or should I bypass them and jump straight to the C-Pads?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back