Grado Bowls...Ouch!
Jun 26, 2005 at 1:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

sionghchan

500+ Head-Fier
I have recently purchased a pair of MS1 and have just today changed the comfies to bowls...OUCH! Now, I know what everyone here is talking about when they say that Grados are uncomfortable! They ARE uncomfortable...makes the comfies REALLY comfortable!

I'm still experimenting to see if it really DOES sound better with bowls...

I have also bought another pair of bowls for the SR60 ... Now, I'm really finding that it is overly bright with bowls... Maybe there IS a reason why John Grado designed the SR60 with comfies..

Anyone else here tried SR60 with bowls and liked the sound?

Jun 26, 2005 at 1:46 AM Post #2 of 46
Eh, I thought Alessanrdos also came with bowl pads? From what I understand, these are bowl pads:
ms1.jpg

Or are those supposed to be comfies?

Jun 26, 2005 at 2:03 AM Post #4 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by sionghchan
Anyone else here tried SR60 with bowls and liked the sound?

That's the main reason i chose the SR60 over the SR80 - the bowls on the latter hurt, and gave me a headache - even after the 10 min audition in the store
tongue.gif

Cut a 10c piece-size hole out of the comfies. Better solution IMO.

Jun 26, 2005 at 2:03 AM Post #5 of 46
So, the comfies look exactly like the bowls except they are made of a softer matieral (From what I can deduce from the SR-60 pics at Grado's website)? The pads seem to look the same from the 60s all the way to 125s on Grado's website.

Jun 26, 2005 at 2:08 AM Post #6 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
So, the comfies look exactly like the bowls except they are made of a softer matieral (From what I can deduce from the SR-60 pics at Grado's website)? The pads seem to look the same from the 60s all the way to 125s on Grado's website.

The bowls are pretty much a coarser version of the comfies with a thicker rim and a shallower centre, with the hole cut out. Like i mentioned, i only demo'ed the bowls for about 10 mins, but i see no point in enduring that sort of discomfort when i prefer the sound of my butchered comfies
tongue.gif

Jun 26, 2005 at 2:11 AM Post #7 of 46
Quote:

The comfies lack the hole in the middle. The pads on Grado's website appear to me to be flats (which don't come on any of them)....

You can kind of see them in the middle picture on Headroom's site:

http://www.headphone.com/products/he...rado-sr-60.php

Ant

Jun 26, 2005 at 2:12 AM Post #8 of 46
Anybody have a pic that shows the comfies at a good view? I've been having trouble finding out why people are saying that the bowls have a hole cut out and the comfies don't (From the pics I have seen, both have a hole cut in the middle).

EDIT: So both comfies and flats lack a hole in the middle? Doesn't this create a veil of some sort that would mask some of the sound? What are c-pads then (Are they those ugly yellow pads that some people have on their Grados?)?

Jun 26, 2005 at 2:45 AM Post #10 of 46
I lessened the headband pressure....and bingo...the bowls are actually now *MORE* comfortable than the comfies. In fact, *I* prefer the bowls over the comfies now because they don't rest against the outer part of my ear.

Jun 26, 2005 at 2:56 AM Post #11 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
I lessened the headband pressure....and bingo...the bowls are actually now *MORE* comfortable than the comfies. In fact, *I* prefer the bowls over the comfies now because they don't rest against the outer part of my ear.

Exactly what i found - though due to the diminutive size of my melon, No bending was required!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 26, 2005 at 3:03 AM Post #12 of 46
The original bowl pads are $15 at Todd's and his flat pads are $30. These are for the pair, right? If they are for a pair of pads, then I might pick up the bowl pads for the MS-1s since $15 isn't too bad. Is it hard to remove the pads and replace them with bowl pads on the MS-1s?

Jun 26, 2005 at 3:06 AM Post #13 of 46
Quote:

The picture you posted does NOT show comfies. They are bowls. I think John Grado had that picture up just for marketing purposes. Comfies are just enlarged version of normal supra aural headphone pads, ones that covers the entire ear. Thus, there is no hole in the middle, just all sponge.

Jun 26, 2005 at 3:07 AM Post #14 of 46
Quote:

The original bowl pads are $15 at Todd's and his flat pads are $30. These are for the pair, right? If they are for a pair of pads, then I might pick up the bowl pads for the MS-1s since $15 isn't too bad. Is it hard to remove the pads and replace them with bowl pads on the MS-1s?

The prices are for a pair. No, it's not hard to replace pads. You just pull and take them off, then put on new ones. They stretch a bit.

Jun 26, 2005 at 3:12 AM Post #15 of 46
Quote:

So both comfies and flats lack a hole in the middle? Doesn't this create a veil of some sort that would mask some of the sound? What are c-pads then (Are they those ugly yellow pads that some people have on their Grados?)?

The yellow pads are from Sennheisers. The comfies do not have a hole, the flats do. The c-pads are available from www.headphile.com and are very different.....

Ant

Users who are viewing this thread

Back