Grado: Bowls or Flats?
Jul 17, 2008 at 2:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

ilikebananafudge

100+ Head-Fier
Okay, so here's a question. Who prefers flats, and who prefers bowls?

Jul 17, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #2 of 22
I bet if you search in the headphone forum, you will probably find a few polls on this topic
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 23, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jingo Lingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bowls, Flats sound a bit muffled and muddy IMHO.

X3 (except on my HP-2s )

Jul 23, 2008 at 12:03 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jingo Lingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bowls, Flats sound a bit muffled and muddy IMHO.

X3. Another thing I like about bowls, is that they kinda remind me of a big, cushy, ear-pillow
tongue.gif
. I find that if I plump them up (ie. sqeeze-them; so that the cellulose-like material they are made-of, expands back to a closer to original state) the fit and sound are easier to maintain. IMO, flats just sound too muddled, and have tubby-sounding bass. That's NOT the reason, why I like Grado's. I like 'em for their detail, and upfront presentation. For me, flats take away alot of that.
frown.gif

Jul 23, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #10 of 22
Ooops...sorry robm321...i guess you got in ahead-of me. X4, then.
biggrin.gif

Jul 23, 2008 at 3:43 AM Post #13 of 22
with flats the bass is much improved and the highs, which on some models can be bright, tamed. on the HP1000 - which tends toward the analytical - bowls are unthinkable. conversely, you would not want to increase the bass on the already bass-heavy PS1, so bowls are preferred.

Jul 23, 2008 at 5:00 AM Post #14 of 22
I haven't used flats in a long time so I can't comment on them but comparing a really old set of bowls to a new set, the difference is pretty big. The older ones are less concave and gives in a lot easier. The bass and all around presence is improved (as opposed to sounding more distant).

So, if you get the bowls, break them in early by washing them multiple times until they loose their stiffness.

Jul 23, 2008 at 3:48 PM Post #15 of 22
This is interesting since flats usually win out in these comparison threads. I prefer bowls myself though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back