Grado Bowls "grease-in"
Feb 28, 2007 at 5:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

GlorytheWiz825

Headphoneus Supremus
This should be in the Accessories section but I figured more people will respond if I had it in the Headphones section. Anyway, feel free to move...

So I just received my Grados bowls from TTVJ and using them with my SR60s. I really prefer the bowls over the stock comfies in terms of sound quality. However, these bowls are hurting my ears. I remember reading in Zanth's interview with Joe Grado that the bowls will eventually "grease in" and will feel more comfortable. How much more comfortable are we talking about here? Right now, the drivers are pinching my ears pretty hard and I cannot wear my SR60s for more than 30 minute at a time.

Hope to hear some optimistic responses.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 28, 2007 at 6:17 AM Post #4 of 23
It sounds like you just need to bend the headband. Make it wide enough so the bowls sit on your ears, not clamp.

The distance between the bowls resting on your table should be just slightly smaller than the distance from ear to ear.

Feb 28, 2007 at 6:21 AM Post #5 of 23
Yeah thats kind of how they are. I washed mine in johnsons baby shampoo, it has baby oils in the soap and made a difference with my MS2. Once my ears flattened out I became used to it, so now new pads are just as comfy as old ones.

Feb 28, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #7 of 23
Bending is your option.
Mine were also uncomfortable to begin with, but now i barely notice them
Comfortable as.

Im very keen to get some flat pads from TTVJ.
Is he realy the only one that still sell's these?

Feb 28, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #8 of 23
I've had my MS2i with bowls since September, and they do seem to be more comfortable now than early on.

Perhaps time, all by itself......!

....or not.
frown.gif

Feb 28, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #9 of 23
Yah, at first SR225/bowls killed my ears! After a few weeks, the pads softened, my ears hardened, or some combination of these. Either way, I know LOVE bowls! I find them more comfy than comfies or HD414s.

Feb 28, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by *645-k701 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine were also uncomfortable to begin with, but now i barely notice them

x2. Just wear them. They will break in or you will get used to them.
rs1smile.gif

Mar 1, 2007 at 8:24 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by *645-k701 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.Im very keen to get some flat pads from TTVJ.
Is he realy the only one that still sell's these?

TTVJ ? link to this store ?

Did you tested flat pad of sr60 on you high end Grado headphone ? i have no problem of confort with my sr60 at all
wink.gif

Mar 1, 2007 at 1:11 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by lerio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
TTVJ ? link to this store ?

TTVJ = Todd the Vinyl Junkie

Link in the Head-Fi sponsor list at the top of the page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back