grado/alessandro music series one questions
Oct 19, 2002 at 1:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

redshifter

High Fidelity Gentility• redrum....I mean redshifter• Pee-pee. Hoo-hoo.• I ♥ Garfield
i've been doing some research on these phones here and at headwize. what are your impressions of the alessandro ms1 vs. the sr80 and sr125? there is a place near me that i can audition the grado sr125, and some have commented the ms1 sounds just like the sr125 (but is $50 cheaper). details from grado and alessandro seem vague about the origins and mods that created the ms1, ms2, and mspro. one thing is clear, that the ms1 is supposed to be a pro version of the sr-grado sound, less pleasing color but more detail--a concept that appeals to me. the other night i dreamed i had some grados, i guess i need help--or maybe just buy some already. recent financial setbacks have put the rs-1 out of reach for now, but the ms1 might fit the bill.

how would you characterize the sound from a ms1 using a cha47 amp?

will grado repair them for free if they develop grattle?

how are they for rock music?

do they indeed have more detail than the sr80/125?

does alessandro accept returns?

Oct 19, 2002 at 2:07 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by redshifter
how would you characterize the sound from a ms1 using a cha47 amp?

will grado repair them for free if they develop grattle?

how are they for rock music?

do they indeed have more detail than the sr80/125?

does alessandro accept returns?

I have MS1 with a D-25s and a CHA47 works with dual 9V Plainview 9.6V batteries. How would I characterize them? Let's see... I would say they sound very forward, the soundstage is wide but still very focus, high is rounded (not harsh at all), mid is very full and warm, low is ok i guess (because i like the low from my v6 better, if you have seen my recent post you should know what i am talking about).

I think they are good phones but my room has too much ambient noise for me to enjoy them accept when its very late at night or early in the morning. (also the reason why i use them less)

I think these will be great for rock music and in my opinion, these phones tends to warm things a bit (maybe its because of my amp?).

I can't compare them with the Grado's because I don't own any and the above is just some of my impressions about the MS1 that's currently on my mind (i did not mean to review on them at all). And I don't know if they accept returns or not but they are damn cheap for something this good.
wink.gif

Oct 19, 2002 at 2:49 AM Post #3 of 5
pretty much right on target.

I would add that highs are not rounded but rather smoooth and yet you still get all the details and note separation.

Comparing can be tough because the MS-1 is not widely available but from MY personal experience I would choose it over the SR-68 and SR-80 easily and when price is factored in , the SR-125.

I am not saying the 125 is better , it is too close to call , more of a miniscule difference that could be sample to sample dependant.It is that close.

The warranty is the standard Grado Warranty card , same as regular grados.
Alessandro is also good to deal with.

The reason you find that they are not real forthcoming is the GRado/Alessandro relationship.I have no inside info but I think Grado put the clamps on Allessandro.
When I purchased mine it was for $75.00 + free shipping !
Talk about a bargain !!!!
But there was WAY too much open discussion about which Grado can was the equivelant and who would spend $69.00 for the SR-60 when for $75.00 you could have the equal to the 125 ?

even at $99.00 I would do it again.

Oct 19, 2002 at 3:28 AM Post #4 of 5
You can check my other posts. IMO the MS I is one of the best deals in headphones available. I have owned many headphones in a short period of time. Currently I only have the MS I, Ms II, SR-60, V6 and 7506. The rest I sold because they did not give me anything I didn't already have. For their price the MS-I's cannot be beaten if you like the Grado sound.

Oct 19, 2002 at 4:17 AM Post #5 of 5
exactly the info i was looking for. thank you. sounds like if i spend some time auditioning the sr125 i'll get an idea what the ms1 is like. $75? dang, i wouldn't even be discussing this! still, if at $99 it is still worth it... i better go audition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back