Grado 325is and PS500
Oct 26, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #16 of 50

Quote:
Thanks.  Again, it took me about 1-2 hours of back and forths before I started to "get" it.  A brief 15 to 30 minute comparison will probably not be convincing enough.  I think they're worth it but that's everyone's problem, isn't it?

I have a hard time A/Being headphones. I've found that if the signature is brand new to me, I have to spend a couple of days really listening and letting the signature seep in. I remember when I was struggling with how much I paid for the HF2 when I finally, "got it." I was listening to the song She's a Mystery Girl by Roy Orbison, the whole record actually; and all I could think was wow!

Of course that record has had that impact on me for a long time too, so it might not have had anything to do with the HF2, then again.

Oct 26, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #17 of 50
I sympathize.  But, what are you going to do on short notice?  I wanted to get something out there because I felt there was some interest and I was sufficiently impressed.  Yeah, long term, always better.
happy_face1.gif

Dec 12, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #18 of 50
I just got my new set of PS500's home today. I had initially auditioned and compared a set of them several weeks ago with my vintage B RS1's and a well broken in pair of PS1000's. At that time the PS500's I listened to had no play time on them. Now at home plugged into my modded Home Headroom with only 4 hours on them I am already liking what I hear and am quite optimistic about how they will develop as break in time accrues. Will be checking back in. :wink:

Dec 20, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #19 of 50
Hit 100 hours of break in time on the PS500's last weekend and good has only gotten better. I am impressed with them and quite satisfied as to how they have developed. There are definitely differences compared to my other Grado phones although I want to take some time to do some direct comparisons before I get into more adjectives. Suffice to say the overall impression is fast, tight and controlled. :)

Dec 22, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #20 of 50
First 5 hours with the PS500.  Extremely happy with it already.  Will share more thoughts after more time.  

Dec 22, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #21 of 50

Quote:
Hit 100 hours of break in time on the PS500's last weekend and good has only gotten better. I am impressed with them and quite satisfied as to how they have developed. There are definitely differences compared to my other Grado phones although I want to take some time to do some direct comparisons before I get into more adjectives. Suffice to say the overall impression is fast, tight and controlled.
smily_headphones1.gif

Still lovin' my PS500s.  I should be getting my 325i (not s anymore) back from Martin Custom Audio any day now.  It will be an interesting comparison now that the 325i has been woodied.  Hope it was a good idea for sound 'cause they sure look purdy.

Jan 14, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #24 of 50

Quote:
Still lovin' my PS500s.  I should be getting my 325i (not s anymore) back from Martin Custom Audio any day now.  It will be an interesting comparison now that the 325i has been woodied.  Hope it was a good idea for sound 'cause they sure look purdy.

and i bet the 500 are still  the better sounding headphones

Jan 14, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #25 of 50

Quote:
and i bet the 500 are still  the better sounding headphones

Absolutely.
biggrin.gif
  The gap continues to widen.

Hoping the silver clad copper cable on the 325i breaks in in a positive way.

Jan 15, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #26 of 50
i have the ps1 and somewhat feel they are lil better then the ps500 ( haven't heard the 500 though just reading around ) , but quite a big tad better from the 325 ..

ps and sr are 2 different lines , the first one being superior to the second as for refinement ..

happy - and i mean happy - listening !
wink_face.gif
beerchug.gif

Aug 7, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #27 of 50
Thanks for the review.  I've had had pair of SR60s for years..love them..and recently decided to upgrade. I've been going back and forth on whether or not it's worth the extra $$$ to get the PS500 over the 325...you've made up my mind. Now comes the decision of an amp...guessing and amp is necessary to power the PS500s.  Now a days, I listen primarily off my laptop or iPhone. Any suggestions for an entry level amp that won't break the bank?

Aug 7, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #28 of 50
You will definitely be glad you spent the extra bucks on the PS500, they are really very satisfying.  Depending on your application, you certainly can pick up something nice to compliment them (especially since they are so efficient) second hand also.  I use a modified Home Headroom and Grado RA1 DC at home with very good results and have a Headroom Little with the More power supply at my girlfriend's which suits the Grados just fine and the price on that second hand was around $150.  Good luck and congratulations ahead of time on your new sounds.... 

Nov 18, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #30 of 50
I'm new to this malarkey , and as a fresher, I would like to understand how any 2 people can have a critical debate about their headphones unless they are comparing the same cd, same source, same amp, etc, any ideas how to extract the truth from all this debate.

I have ps500,
I am very happy with the sound
They remind me of standing next to a massive mega speaker array when at high volume

Users who are viewing this thread

Back