Grado 325i vs RS-1i
Sep 29, 2009 at 12:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

astroman302

New Head-Fier
There's a huge price difference, but is there also a huge sound difference? I'm really considering the 325s now because it would allow me to get a better amp, and save some $. Opinions?

Sep 29, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #2 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by astroman302 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's a huge price difference, but is there also a huge sound difference? I'm really considering the 325s now because it would allow me to get a better amp, and save some $. Opinions?

If you want my advise and want to save some money...get the RS1s. Honestly, you might think you will be saving money with the 325is headphones and after a few months of listening to them with their rather shrill high end you will only be wondering what do the RS1s sound like.

Let me tell you, they are the BEST headphones I've every heard and my favourite that I own. They are only 32 ohms so can be easily driven with a portable amp until you want to upgrade later.

After 3 months of excessive listening to my SR325is headphones, I borrowed a friend's RS1s for 3 days and was totally hooked. They are so much more refined with awesome bass (that is incredibly controlled) quick and responsive mids and refined (non shrill highs).

I've had the RS1s now for 8 months and have never looked back. I did however lose about $100 on re-selling my old SR325is headphones to help pay for the upgrade.

Sep 29, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want my advise and want to save some money...get the RS1s. Honestly, you might think you will be saving money with the 325is headphones and after a few months of listening to them with their rather shrill high end you will only be wondering what do the RS1s sound like.

Let me tell you, they are the BEST headphones I've every heard and my favourite that I own. They are only 32 ohms so can be easily driven with a portable amp until you want to upgrade later.

After 3 months of excessive listening to my SR325is headphones, I borrowed a friend's RS1s for 3 days and was totally hooked. They are so much more refined with awesome bass (that is incredibly controlled) quick and responsive mids and refined (non shrill highs).

I've had the RS1s now for 8 months and have never looked back. I did however lose about $100 on re-selling my old SR325is headphones to help pay for the upgrade.

Ok thanks. Do you think a fubar III could run the RS1 ok?

Sep 29, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by astroman302 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok thanks. Do you think a fubar III could run the RS1 ok?

The Fubar III does sound quite good. I have tried my RS1s with it and the amp has more than enough power and the bonus is it has a USB DAC with a pretty good Burr Brown PCM2702 DAC chip.

I am currently using a tube Mapletree Ear+HD headphone amp and it is absolutely incredible with my RS1s. It really improved the sound over my RA1 amp (now sold). So down the road when you want to upgrade there is a path.

Cheers,
Peter

Sep 29, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #5 of 15
highly recommend you audition both first before taking the plunge. i own both and have kept them because they each have their strengths and sound characteristics. although RS1 is technically superior, there are some who prefer the SR325i to the RS1. for me, they provided equal amounts of enjoyment, thus why i kept them both.

Sep 29, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #7 of 15
This same question seems to be in 4 or 5 different posts in the last week, and my take on it is simple : if you can handle the treble after at least 50 hours burn-in (your ears and the phones), get the 325. If not, dont rely on the mystical 100/150 or whatever hours to change the character of these headphones. If there is a single burn-in myth that needs to be addressed, its that a pair of headphones will completely change in character after prolonged use - our perceptions might change, but the headphones are unlikely to go from Mr Hyde back to a mild-mannered Dr Jekyll, imo.

Personally, I can live with the rollercoaster ride, but I agree that the 325s arent for everyone.

Sep 29, 2009 at 10:56 AM Post #9 of 15
If either of the two would be your only set of headphones, then I'd be personally wary of the SR325is. Though it's my favourite among all my cans when paired with some genres and specific artists, it can be harsh when listening to some artists. The RS1 would make the better all rounder and better semi-portable option.

OTOH, if you have other cans, I wouldn't hesitate recommending the SR325is. They can be quite spectacular with the right CD's.

Interestingly, if someone were to come and take all my cans, offering that I keep only one, I think I'd now keep the HD650's. My RS2i comes in a close second.

Sep 29, 2009 at 11:32 AM Post #10 of 15
If there is another pair of fullsize cans that produces as much mojo from a DAP at the same price point as the 325is, I really need to hear them. Nothing I have approaches this level of detail from my Sony X series. There may be an IEM that can do something similar, but I doubt that it would have the combination of bass punch and air : these cans walk a very fine line, IMO.

Sep 29, 2009 at 12:40 PM Post #12 of 15
It's all about how you look at it. I wouldn't consider purchasing lesser cans until you eventually get the RS1i as pain, unless you think ignorance is bliss. One of two things will happen when you eventually get that RS1i.

a) You confirm what others feel and that you saw coming. It's really the best of the lot and listening bliss. You will be able to give an opinion about the RS1i based on your experience with the other Grados.

b) They do sound great, but not as great as you expected when compared to the other Grados you have. This has been the experience of some who have even gone on to sell their RS1's and to keep another of their Grados.

I'm always wary of jumping too quickly to the uber high end slot. Especially, since you're reaching a point of diminishing returns. It's never really that good advice for those who will find it difficult to pay for them.

Sep 29, 2009 at 2:42 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm always wary of jumping too quickly to the uber high end slot. Especially, since you're reaching a point of diminishing returns. It's never really that good advice for those who will find it difficult to pay for them.

Absolutely agree with this, and its a large part of what I posted in the 'Line in the Sand' thread a couple of weeks back.

Its very tempting to adopt the approach astroid mentioned, and I even considered the GS1000i in a brief moment of madness, but until I can hear a pair of high-end cans from a source/amp worthy of them, I just cant see the point in aiming that high. For all the recommendations the RS1 receives, there seems to be a group who feel hat the RS2 is a better headphone : no surprises after the HD650/HD600, K701/K501, DT990/DT770 comparisons, but it doesnt make it any easier to choose a pair of cans that would have been more than double the cost of the 325is over one which was only (!) $380 more .....

I also agree that the 325 is a tough model to recommend for those who restrict themselves to a single pair of cans - fortunately I can switch to other phones (I'm currently listening to the Ultrasones - way under-rated, IMO). Variety is the spice of life.
smily_headphones1.gif

estreeter

Sep 29, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #14 of 15
estreeter,

Good points that I strongly agree with.

I own the RS2i and think them a better all-rounder than the 325is. However, I'd recommend them only to someone who can genuinely afford them. There are some really, really fun cans out there that offer excellent sound for much lower prices. The SR225i is one of them if you wish to stay Grado.

Feb 15, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #15 of 15
I am now in the same boat but I am looking at buying the RS1i for like $550 vs $295 for the 325is.  I have actually owned the RS1i and my roommate has the 325is but I never got to directly compare them before I returned them because I had some financial troubles.

I listen to mainly pop/hip-hop/rnb and mashup artists like Girl Talk and Super Mash Bros.  Which handles those genres best in your mind?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back