Grado 325i vs RS-1 (button)
Jun 12, 2013 at 11:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

bassboysam

1000+ Head-Fier
Some RS-1 phones came up for sale but I don't have the ability to try them out before I buy. I am just curious if the RS-1 will have more or less low end than my 325i headphoones? I know the RS-1i is supposed to have a beefier low end but how would the RS-1 compare?

Jun 12, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #2 of 6
I have owned everything from the SR-80i up to the RS-1i and the low end is poor on anything that utilizes the bowl pads including the RS-1i.  Take it from someone who tried to get the best out of a Grado without using the Jumbo pads...it just is not worth it and you will not get improvements.

Take a look at the charts in the link below:
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=293&graphID[]=383&graphID[]=373&graphID[]=353&

See how the frequency response is almost identical?  The only differences are from placement on the dummy head and pads.  To get the best bass from a Grado use the Comfy pads that come stock with the SR-80i and SR-60i as they filter out the treble a bit and rest on the outer ear giving a better sense of bass rumble.

Grado headphones are bright sounding.

Jun 12, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #3 of 6
I have owned everything from the SR-80i up to the RS-1i and the low end is poor on anything that utilizes the bowl pads including the RS-1i.  Take it from someone who tried to get the best out of a Grado without using the Jumbo pads...it just is not worth it and you will not get improvements.

Take a look at the charts in the link below:
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=293&graphID[]=383&graphID[]=373&graphID[]=353&

See how the frequency response is almost identical?  The only differences are from placement on the dummy head and pads.  To get the best bass from a Grado use the Comfy pads that come stock with the SR-80i and SR-60i as they filter out the treble a bit and rest on the outer ear giving a better sense of bass rumble.

Grado headphones are bright sounding.

thanks, but that was not my question. I own the 80i, 225i and 325i so I am very familiar with the Grado sound. My question was about the RS-1 not the RS-1i. I'd like to know if the RS-1 has more or less low end than the 325i.

Jun 12, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #4 of 6
About the same, which is the point NA Blur was making, I believe.

Realistically though, it's hard to answer that. There's unit variation with any brand of headphones, and I think there's even more with Grado headphones due to the production process. Meaning you may have one RS1 with more bass than another, one SR325i with more bass than another, etc etc.

Send a PM to devouringone3. He has a lot of experience with Grados and is very knowledgeable about the brand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back