Grado 325
Jul 21, 2002 at 9:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

N@Z

1000+ Head-Fier
I hope this isn't a silly question but I gotta know! Does Grado Labs makes the SR325 with 2 different colours of metal driver housings? Black & Silver? I kinda prefer the silver for my next upgrade.

Headroom describes it is as bright sounding due to its detailed highs which may cause fatigue. What do owners think? My music taste is varied but mostly on contemporary rock/pop. I intend to use it on my PCDP with T/airhead.

Jul 21, 2002 at 11:46 AM Post #2 of 12
Originally, Grado made the 325 in black painted aluminum. The current SR-325 only comes in the nice, shiny aluminum.
As for your question regarding their sound, I personally think they are great headphones for pop/rock. To my ears, their highs are not fatiguing at all. Obviously, your best bet is to audition them yourself...............let your ears render the final verdict. Hope this helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 21, 2002 at 1:34 PM Post #3 of 12
I have listened to the whole grado line, and they all make an incredible sound. I don't know about the golden ears and stuff, but I couldn't really hear any difference after the sr 125's.

Well, between 125 and 325 perhaps a SLIGHT one, but not a huge one, and on the 20 000$ demo system, so huh...

I'm damn happy with my SR125, one of the best investments I have made since my computer. They rock, bass response rocks, sound is awesome. And, after +- 100 hours of use, the pads got soft, and perhaps my ears are used to it, but I don't feel them anymore, even after 4-5 hours.

The ONLY things that I think sucks, are:

The design, I normally wear them at home, but if I get a portable, bah, who cares.

The sound leakage. Again, it's not a problem as I use them at home, but if I get a portable =P

So IMHO, the grados rock. I just love the sound, and I hated the sennheiser sound. Just a matter of personal preference.

Gbye.

Jul 21, 2002 at 7:29 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Kryogen
The design, I normally wear them at home, but if I get a portable, bah, who cares.

The sound leakage. Again, it's not a problem as I use them at home, but if I get a portable =P

I have SR-80's and I use them mostly portable, and I don't think they look that bad. They have this sturdy and edgy look, they don't look like some plastic pieces of crap like many headphones do. But then again, before grados I used PortaPros which looked awfull.

The sound leakage is a problem but many people use sony streetstyles etc so loud that they leak even more than my grados so I don't really care about it.

Jul 21, 2002 at 7:41 PM Post #5 of 12
HI:
I have owned the grado 60,80,325 and the ones that I liked best were the 80s. But now being a sennheiser guy I dont have the grados anymore but I think that they sound great but for the money the 80s are hard to beat in the grado line up.

Jul 22, 2002 at 2:41 AM Post #6 of 12
N@Z,

I agree with joelongwood about the 325s. The highs are detailed and CRISP, but not fatiguing, unless you have a poorly recorded disc. Great can for pop/rock - accurate bass, upfront soundstage (classic Grado sound).

Regards - reynman

Jul 22, 2002 at 2:55 AM Post #7 of 12
I evidently like the Grado sound - I have 80s and 325s. I don't find the 325s to be harsh or fatiguing. This may be because I mainly listen to R&B, etc or that I have the flat pads. You'll have to take a listen to see what your ears think.

Also, I bought my 325s used and they have black housings. Does anyone know what year they changed to aluminum?

Jul 22, 2002 at 8:53 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Voldemort
The sound leakage is a problem but many people use sony streetstyles etc so loud that they leak even more than my grados so I don't really care about it.

The entire point of sound leakage isn't about how much sound leaks out, but rather how much leaks in. The more noise that comes out of the headphones at a specified volume, the more noise goes in and into your ears. You say that some people turn up the volume so high on a pair of Streetstyles that there's as much noise leakage as some Grados, but that's not really the point. What matters is that, if the Grados and the Streetstyles were set at the same volume, the Grados would likely leak more noise out, therefore let more noise in to bother you and distract you from your music.

Sorry for going off like this, but it irks me that some people still don't get what the concept of sound leakage is all about.

Jul 22, 2002 at 9:07 AM Post #9 of 12
If you were to be selfish and not care about the sound leaked to the outside (which is an issue), the problem with the Grados - certainly the SR60 and the SR225 which I have - is that the 'Grado Sound' is neutralized in a portable-use situation, because the noise that you'd come across an urban environment overpowers the headphone's ability to deliver sound - and leave it sounding very much like a crappophone.

In fact, some noises you can hear better with the Grados on because it acts as a baffle/resonance chamber/whatever.

I like to just listen to stuff, and I'll take the Grado sound over monitoring headphone-style sound any day. However for portable use, I have yet to find a closed phone that comes anywhere near the Grados for musical presentation. I'm hoping that the A-T phone may be the thing, but have my doubts...

Jul 22, 2002 at 1:36 PM Post #10 of 12
Top stuff!

Thanks for all the input. I think the main point is to have a listen before making a decision. I actually like the upfront Grado sound as I always try to close my eyes when listening to music & imagine myself there right next to the performers.

Thing is, they don't sell these things here!

Jul 22, 2002 at 3:02 PM Post #11 of 12
FYI: if you're planning on using these for portable use outside, you may want to reconsider. The open design DOES let sound in. Can totally mess up the Grado sound. When I've worn my 125s out and about, I've been amazed at the loss of bass and overall change in sound. When outside, they sound so... pedestrian! Listening at home in a quiet environment, just wonderful!

If you're planning to do both portable and home use, might be worth looking into two sets of cans... the 325 for at home use and another for portable use (e.g., Senn 400MX, Koss 35, PortaPro/SportaPro, Ety ER6, etc.)

Good luck!
Bruce

Jul 23, 2002 at 4:35 AM Post #12 of 12
It will be used mostly at home & while away on trips in hotels. I won't be using it on the move.

An RS-1 would be nice but the price is a little too high for me. If I get an opportunity to audition them while overseas that would be ideal & I'm sure I would probably not settle for the SR325! But that remains to be seen... or rather heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back