Grade 12 paranoia
Sep 16, 2009 at 1:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Supa kool

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I would love your input on this, thanks.

I'm currently in Gr. 12 and am interested in entering the medical field, perhaps maybe a dentistry. I am worried that the courses I took in gr. 11 and the ones I am taking now will not suffice. I am also worried that my grades may not be good enough.
These are the courses I am signed up for: Principals math 12, English 12, Biology 12, Chemistry 12, PE 12 and Foods studies 12 and Automotive 12.

My grades are quite average, a combination of B's and one or two A's. Should I be worried? Am I taking enough academic courses to succeed in University? Are my grades adequate?
confused_face.gif

Some of my friends took physics 11 and are taking physics 12, I never did this, how important is physics in relation to all of this?

I would really appreciate some honest answers, say whatever it is you need to say.

Thanks again

Sep 16, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #2 of 25
Where are you located?

You say you have Bs and As, so your GPA shouldn't be horrible. Have you taken any standardized tests (that's what they're called in the US, not sure where you are)? Have you been involved in any extra-curricular activities? Now is the time that U.S. students are applying to schools. Just find a school you like and look at their requirements. I'm a senior now too and I know the schools I'm applying to like to see seniors take a "heavy" course load their senior year. IB and/or AP classes are an extra bonus(sorry if you'e out of the U.S. and don't know what any of this is).

Sep 16, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #3 of 25
Your high school courses aren't that important. Just be sure to go to a good undergrad school, work hard on your academics and standardized tests.

Granted, I haven't been to medical school. However, law schools only wantd to know where I went to high school, not one cared about my classes or grades. Just prepare yourself for college and worry about graduate school then.

Sep 16, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #4 of 25
Your grades are more than adequate. I wish mine were that good in my senior year.

It also depends on which college you're planning to attend. I think your ACT score might carry more weight than your senior year coursework and gpa.

Sep 16, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #5 of 25
Just to clarify-is it undergraduate or graduate school that you're worried about? I'd say you have a decent chance for undergraduate just with what you've shown us so far. But just like Uncle Erik said, graduate schools will care more about your undergraduate experience than high school.

Sep 16, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #6 of 25
IMO, (9th grader in a vocational school for medicine), taking Bio as opposed to physics is the better choice (Bio, dynamics of social healthcare, and physical science are mandatory for us freshmen). Physics is for engineering more, my dad is a good example (Owner of a repair shop and a pretty good with cars).

Sep 16, 2009 at 8:41 AM Post #8 of 25
medical school will not care about your high school work, just do well in undergrad and go to the best school you can afford.

Sep 16, 2009 at 9:02 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anybody else find it weird that this is the OP's first post?

lol I was thinking that too

Sep 16, 2009 at 9:38 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anybody else find it weird that this is the OP's first post?

x3
I wonder if he/she is even coming back?

Sep 16, 2009 at 11:08 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob_McBob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who else read the topic as "Grado 12 paranoia"?
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
simchevelu.gif

lol same here, so x3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back