Grace M902 v.s. Benchmark DAC1 Pre
Jul 27, 2008 at 5:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

rti1000

New Head-Fier
I havent been able to find a direct comparison between these two in the forums here anywhere so I thought I'd ask here. Both can be used as headphone amps and the DAC1 pre now appears to have a better HP amp than the DAC1 USB, and the DAC1 Pre upsamples all of its inputs.
The Grace can upsample everything but the USB input, but has a crossfeed circut. The grace has an optional remote and an optional balanced output stage.
My intention for both of these devices is for it to be part of my desktop ststem and use the digital input from an oppo or some other reletaively inexpensive transport, stream audio from my computer and as a headphone amp. As well as using them as a preamp to drive monitor speakers for the desktop.
Did I miss anything?
Now on for the reviews. Has anyone heard both?

Or should I just match a Bryston BDA 1or an Audio Research DAC 7 up with a RSA Apache. I would like to be able to drive my K-1000's as well as speakers but its not looking too good unless i get a WA4 for that.

Jul 28, 2008 at 10:47 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by rti1000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
as headphone amps and the DAC1 pre now appears to have a better HP amp than the DAC1 USB,

Did you get this info from a review? They did not mention this on their website.

I'm tempted to get the basic DAC1 as I don't need either USB nor Preamp function but not sure if the HP output quality is different.

Jul 28, 2008 at 12:03 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you get this info from a review? They did not mention this on their website.

I'm tempted to get the basic DAC1 as I don't need either USB nor Preamp function but not sure if the HP output quality is different.

I believe you are correct, the headphone amp is the same across all three models, It appears I misread the specs.

Sorry
rolleyes.gif

May 31, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
I havent been able to find a direct comparison between these two in the forums here anywhere so I thought I'd ask here. Both can be used as headphone amps and the DAC1 pre now appears to have a better HP amp than the DAC1 USB, and the DAC1 Pre upsamples all of its inputs.
The Grace can upsample everything but the USB input, but has a crossfeed circut. The grace has an optional remote and an optional balanced output stage.
My intention for both of these devices is for it to be part of my desktop ststem and use the digital input from an oppo or some other reletaively inexpensive transport, stream audio from my computer and as a headphone amp. As well as using them as a preamp to drive monitor speakers for the desktop.
Did I miss anything?
Now on for the reviews. Has anyone heard both?

Or should I just match a Bryston BDA 1or an Audio Research DAC 7 up with a RSA Apache. I would like to be able to drive my K-1000's as well as speakers but its not looking too good unless i get a WA4 for that.

So when we connect DAC1 pre to the computer via usb input. When we play a 192khz music file, it will downsamples to 96khz then upsamples to 110khz (standard upsampling rates of Benchmark) ?

May 31, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by trungkien978 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So when we connect DAC1 pre to the computer via usb input. When we play a 192khz music file, it will downsamples to 96khz then upsamples to 110khz (standard upsampling rates of Benchmark) ?

This is a two year old thread.  BUT, to answer your question (By the way, I just used Google.), since the DAC1 Pre won't accept 192 over USB, your computer would have to resample 192 content to 96, then that 96 would be upsampled to 110.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back