Grace M902 or Stello DA100 + Tube amp?
Nov 24, 2008 at 4:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

freakmax

500+ Head-Fier
I currently own the Stello DA100.
Should I sell the DA100 and buy Grace M902 to use with my GS1K and RS1?

or
Shoud I keep the DA100 and buy some amps such as woo6 SE , , Naim ,Graham ?

Which would you think is better choice?

So confusing.

Nov 25, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #2 of 8
IMO Grado cans do better w/ tube amps or warm SS amps. If I already owned a DA100 as you do I would look into a Mapletree Ear + Super Amp.

Ideally you should listen to the amp specially at the prices we are talking about. Send Dr. Lloyd an email and ask him if he has sold one of his amps to someone in Thailand. If that person is willing and close to you then you could audition it.

Good luck.

Nov 25, 2008 at 1:32 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by freakmax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I currently own the Stello DA100.
Should I sell the DA100 and buy Grace M902 to use with my GS1K and RS1?

or
Shoud I keep the DA100 and buy some amps such as woo6 SE , , Naim ,Graham ?

Which would you think is better choice?

So confusing.

Is there a reason why you want to switch to the m902?

Nov 26, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #4 of 8
I think it comes down to the sound you want. The M902, in my opinion, has a superior DAC, but you may not like the sound of the amplifier. If SS is your thing, then you might like it a lot but otherwise getting tube amp with the Stello might sound better.

Nov 26, 2008 at 2:53 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by compuryan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it comes down to the sound you want. The M902, in my opinion, has a superior DAC, but you may not like the sound of the amplifier. If SS is your thing, then you might like it a lot but otherwise getting tube amp with the Stello might sound better.

Hmm. I had the opposite view. I think the DAC in the Benchmark is more revealing, while the amp in the Grace is more fun. But I have to say that apart from that, the remote is by far my favorite feature of the m902. If the DAC1 Pre had this, I might have never switched.

Nov 26, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by illkemist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm. I had the opposite view. I think the DAC in the Benchmark is more revealing, while the amp in the Grace is more fun. But I have to say that apart from that, the remote is by far my favorite feature of the m902. If the DAC1 Pre had this, I might have never switched.

I'd definitely agree with that about the DAC1. But when I posted I was comparing the Grace to the Stello DA100 + a tube amp, not the benchmark dac1.

Nov 26, 2008 at 3:27 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by compuryan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd definitely agree with that about the DAC1. But when I posted I was comparing the Grace to the Stello DA100 + a tube amp, not the benchmark dac1.

Please excuse my misunderstanding. I don't get out much.
redface.gif

Nov 26, 2008 at 6:10 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO Grado cans do better w/ tube amps or warm SS amps. If I already owned a DA100 as you do I would look into a Mapletree Ear + Super Amp.

Ideally you should listen to the amp specially at the prices we are talking about. Send Dr. Lloyd an email and ask him if he has sold one of his amps to someone in Thailand. If that person is willing and close to you then you could audition it.

Good luck.

x2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back