Grace Design x Massdrop m9XX DAC/Amp Review: First Impressions
Apr 24, 2019 at 1:21 AM Post #2,131 of 2,153
Guys I’m looking for an upgrade, but I’ve been in love with my grace, so I’m looking for something significant. Does anyone here have either the ifi idsd pro, hugo2, or TT2? Thoughts?

Apr 24, 2019 at 1:59 AM Post #2,132 of 2,153
For me the RME ADI-2 DAC was an instantly audible improvement. This before even taking advantage of the EQ features, etc. But I wouldn't say it was a huge improvement because the m900 is already good.

Apr 24, 2019 at 2:28 AM Post #2,133 of 2,153
For me the RME ADI-2 DAC was an instantly audible improvement. This before even taking advantage of the EQ features, etc. But I wouldn't say it was a huge improvement because the m900 is already good.

That’s the toughest part, m9 is already above average to me. Definitely looking for something that’s night and day.

Jul 20, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #2,134 of 2,153

Would love to hear your comments on this, especially after you have owned both, as i have been debating between these exact two amps! Both amps are beautiful and i theoretically i could eq either amp as long as they are connected to my laptop. I plan to run a pair of Focal Clear or Stellia headphones, which are both low impedance and high(ish) sensitivty.

Many thanks!

Jul 20, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #2,135 of 2,153
Would love to hear your comments on this, especially after you have owned both, as i have been debating between these exact two amps! Both amps are beautiful and i theoretically i could eq either amp as long as they are connected to my laptop. I plan to run a pair of Focal Clear or Stellia headphones, which are both low impedance and high(ish) sensitivty.

Many thanks!

I still have the m900. It is a really nice, transparent piece of gear with zero noise and nice features. But for 400 EUR more you can get the RME ADI-2 which is a noticeable step up in terms of sound quality. Go for that if you have the budget. Not to mention the insane amount of features.

Aug 15, 2019 at 6:52 AM Post #2,136 of 2,153
Question: Can the m900 be used as an amp only? I am just trying this as an experiment: RME ADI-2 DAC -> Schiit Loki -> m900. Yes, I know the amp in the ADI-2 is superior, but I want to see the difference between the ADI-2 EQ results and the Loki EQ. The m900 is my only possible amp to connect from the Loki at this moment in time and I don't see myself buying another amp because I am very satisfied with what I have and my relatively low impedance headphones.

The problem is that the RCA connects on the m900 are line out only. So I need to come with an RCA cable from the Loki (only option) and then change that to an S/PDIF, Toslink, or USB input. This is impossible, correct?

Aug 15, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #2,137 of 2,153
The m900 does not work as an amp only; there's no analog input. It's USB or toslink input only. Converting analog to digital input, I think the sound quality would be largely determined by the A-D stage. RCA's are variable analog out only, following the volume control.

Dec 19, 2019 at 10:14 PM Post #2,138 of 2,153
I have a question for fellow Grace m9xx users. My m9xx has started to randomly loss sound. Everything regarding the USB connection seems fine, but the sound just cuts out. I am using Win 10 and I am wondering if it is a bad usb connection to the motherboard or a windows update that broke the m9xx drivers.
I have sent the unit into Grace and they tested everything and it was fine. Not sure what is going on with it and I am close either doing a fresh windows install or getting a new DAC/amp combo. Any thoughts?

Dec 26, 2019 at 9:30 PM Post #2,139 of 2,153
I have a question for fellow Grace m9xx users. My m9xx has started to randomly loss sound. Everything regarding the USB connection seems fine, but the sound just cuts out. I am using Win 10 and I am wondering if it is a bad usb connection to the motherboard or a windows update that broke the m9xx drivers.
I have sent the unit into Grace and they tested everything and it was fine. Not sure what is going on with it and I am close either doing a fresh windows install or getting a new DAC/amp combo. Any thoughts?
Check out the usb power setting for win10, I used to have the same issue, the usb will turn off every 10-15 mins when I play games. There is a default setting to save energy to cut the usb power. turn it off.

Dec 26, 2019 at 11:47 PM Post #2,140 of 2,153
Check out the usb power setting for win10, I used to have the same issue, the usb will turn off every 10-15 mins when I play games. There is a default setting to save energy to cut the usb power. turn it off.

Well that seems to have fixed it so far. Hopefully that is the ticket. Thank you!!!!

Feb 6, 2020 at 9:51 PM Post #2,141 of 2,153
I have an issue with my m9xx, If I plug in the 2nd USB cable/power then it just flashes O.C and doesn't work. It works with just the USB cable but it's causing some weird static in my speakers, mainly when gaming.

No idea what caused it...

Nov 19, 2020 at 2:11 AM Post #2,143 of 2,153
So, this morning my year old son spotted a Phillips head screwdriver on the window sill, which to him obviously belonged in the free headphone socket of the m9xx I keep on my nightstand (the other socket being occupied by Th-X00 Purplehearts). I managed to intercept him inches away from completing that pass and causing massive damage to the m9xx. It’s tough life being a headfi enthusiast with a toddler!

Nov 20, 2020 at 1:28 AM Post #2,144 of 2,153
So, this morning my year old son spotted a Phillips head screwdriver on the window sill, which to him obviously belonged in the free headphone socket of the m9xx I keep on my nightstand (the other socket being occupied by Th-X00 Purplehearts). I managed to intercept him inches away from completing that pass and causing massive damage to the m9xx. It’s tough life being a headfi enthusiast with a toddler!
Whew. time for a dummy plug in the other jack?

Dec 11, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #2,145 of 2,153
Have any owners tried with earbuds? TOTL one is the interest, but any model is fine. (DQSM Turandot, Ve Zen, Smabat ST10s etc, BS1 Official...).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back