Grace Design x Massdrop m9XX DAC/Amp Review: First Impressions
Nov 9, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #1,786 of 2,153
It's been a while since I tried the fireflies, so take everything I'm about to say with a huge grain of salt, because this is all based off memory of a relatively short demo. My memory of the fireflies was that it lacked soundstage, got blurry during intense complicated fast passages and was a little brittle in the treble.

In your opinion does m9XX sound better than Firefies in these aspects? I am particularly concerned with the amp performance, I understand you have some quality amps and using m9XX mainly as a dac but just to give some ideas to others who can't afford to buy expensive gear. 

Nov 9, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #1,787 of 2,153

T1 is 600z... that's about as impeded as HPs get. :wink:
The little grace drives them perfectly well - but like @fjrabon and his Torpedo they do sound even better from an amp worth considerably more, with the Grace doing duties as the DAC.

The question is how much better, considerably more?

Considerably more.
$700 better? Yes, to me it does - if you have $700 to spare (and then a few hundred more for top quality tubes). Add to that the $ of a good DAC...

Nov 9, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #1,788 of 2,153

Considerably more.
$700 better? Yes, to me it does - if you have $700 to spare (and then a few hundred more for top quality tubes). Add to that the $ of a good DAC...

Torpedo III, is this DIY?

I think the drift I am getting from you guys is that:

m9XX has a high quality DAC better than some of the high cost one
If has a good enough AMP but you can get more out of the DAC if connected it to a more powerful amp.

Maybe it is a good point for me to start getting into high quality headphones, amps and dacs. 

Nov 10, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #1,789 of 2,153

Torpedo III, is this DIY?

I think the drift I am getting from you guys is that:

m9XX has a high quality DAC better than some of the high cost one
If has a good enough AMP but you can get more out of the DAC if connected it to a more powerful amp.

Maybe it is a good point for me to start getting into high quality headphones, amps and dacs. 

Thats what it sounds like. I decided not to pull the trigger.

Nov 10, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #1,790 of 2,153
In your opinion does m9XX sound better than Firefies in these aspects? I am particularly concerned with the amp performance, I understand you have some quality amps and using m9XX mainly as a dac but just to give some ideas to others who can't afford to buy expensive gear. 

Actually I use the m9XX as a DAC and amp at my office. Yes I liked the m9XX better than the fireflies.

Nov 10, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #1,792 of 2,153
Me too. Definitely lusting a bit for it! :)

Nov 11, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #1,796 of 2,153
Anyone used one of these in a car? The micro USB power has me interested in using it with my iPod classic and iPhone. Curious if it is a decent car solution or not. Currently have a Creative E5 but open for something better quality. Definitely wouldn't use this DAC/amp in my desktop rigs (no knock on m9xx, just would be a downgrade for me).

Nov 11, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #1,797 of 2,153
I guess that could depend on your needs  for any specific desktop. I have had several iterations of separate DAC/amps at work. All quite a bit more expensive and much, much bigger than the M9XX. They took up too much desk space. The type of listening that I do at work is far from critical, with many interruptions and time concentrating on... darn Work,, such that I often miss several tracks in a row.  I found that the differences are not at all critical for my purposes, between this nice little box and the lager equipment.. The M9XX now gives me what I need at work and takes up much less space an occupies zero outlets on the valuable real estate on my UPS. Is it a downgrade? Well in absolute terms it may be. But it sure doesn't hurt my feelings to use it everyday. "Downgrade" or not, it serves it's purpose very well.

Nov 14, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #1,799 of 2,153

Users who are viewing this thread

Back