Grace Design x Massdrop m9XX DAC/Amp Review: First Impressions
Dec 16, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #826 of 2,153
  So are the numbers on the front always on when the device is plugged in? Just wondering because this could be a problem buying it and putting it in my bedroom. Those Blue-white spectrum lights are awful to fall asleep with. Would be a different case maybe if it was orange or red.

Grace thought about that. As mentioned, there is mode where numbers disappear after ~7s of inactivity and only small dot is illuminated. It still provides some unwanted blue light in dark bedroom, but it is not difficult to tame it down even further by putting something on top of it - I usually use bag used to carry my IEMs for that purpose. Quite a welcome change from Groove that was insisting on disco-ball like illumination of my bedroom.

As a matter of fact main reason I got m9xx was for bedroom duties, and it is perfect for that.

Dec 16, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #829 of 2,153
is there a reason to use usb1(m9xx) over usb2(xmos) or vice versa?

The only reason to use usb1 is if your computer doesn't support usb2. Have to use usb2 for dsd. Essentially grace added usb1 so that it's plug and play on all systems, but there's no reason you *should* use usb1 if usb2 works in your OS.

Dec 16, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #830 of 2,153
  is there a reason to use usb1(m9xx) over usb2(xmos) or vice versa?

Use usb2 for DSD support.

Yep, pretty much anything over 96kHz/24 requires the XMOS driver which is only engaged when USB2 (U2) is enabled.  This also gives you an ASIO driver which is good (required?) for bit-perfect audio.

The only advantage to USB1 (U1) mode is, driverless plug-n-play operation.  In U1 mode, plug it into any ol' PC or Mac or Linux system, and after standard USB device auto-discovery you have a new native audio device.

- Dave

Dec 16, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #832 of 2,153
  which do you guys use? wasapi, asio, ks or ds.

I'm a big ASIO fan, but the common opinion is that all but DS allows for bit-perfect audio when using the proper software (JRiver, foobar) and driver.

I'm also a fan of VB-Audio's ASIO Bridge, allowing apps like Tidal to use the XMOS ASIO driver for crystal clear audio (by my ear).

- Dave

Dec 16, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #834 of 2,153
AS

I'm a big ASIO fan, but the common opinion is that all but DS allows for bit-perfect audio when using the proper software (JRiver, foobar) and driver.

I'm also a fan of VB-Audio's ASIO Bridge, allowing apps like Tidal to use the XMOS ASIO driver for crystal clear audio (by my ear).

- Dave

It also depends on the DAC. DACs without exclusive mode enabled in the firmware of the USB controller can't bypass the DirectSound ditherer (digital volume control). It's easiest to just use ASIO imo. You just set it and forget it.

Dec 17, 2015 at 6:12 AM Post #835 of 2,153
  no1 here has the Emotiva Stealth DC-1 to compare to the m9xx?
i've seen people compare m920 to the DC-1 so im just wondering.

Have you read through the thread below:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/689783/december-2013-mid-level-dac-comparison

I think the DAC in the Emotiva Stealth DC-1 is still highly regarded today. I personally bought and listened to the similarly regarded Arcam irDAC when it was being offered for around $400 on eBay. DC-1 and Gungnir (Delta Sigma) and irDAC were in the same league of good candidates for a mid-tier DAC. However, I've never read that anyone cared much for the amplifier section in the DC-1.

My systems have changed too dramatically for me to even make a conjecture today of how good the DAC is in the m9XX versus a DAC I have not heard since early October. If you're looking for only a DAC, perhaps the DC-1 is a good value. If you're also looking for something to drive headphones, the m9XX is both an excellent DAC (probably around the level of a Bifrost 4490) and DAC/AMP. Plus it has some features you're not likely to find in a standard DAC, such as cross-feed and filter selection.

Dec 17, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #836 of 2,153
  Have you read through the thread below:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/689783/december-2013-mid-level-dac-comparison

I think the DAC in the Emotiva Stealth DC-1 is still highly regarded today. I personally bought and listened to the similarly regarded Arcam irDAC when it was being offered for around $400 on eBay. DC-1 and Gungnir (Delta Sigma) and irDAC were in the same league of good candidates for a mid-tier DAC. However, I've never read that anyone cared much for the amplifier section in the DC-1.

My systems have changed too dramatically for me to even make a conjecture today of how good the DAC is in the m9XX versus a DAC I have not heard since early October. If you're looking for only a DAC, perhaps the DC-1 is a good value. If you're also looking for something to drive headphones, the m9XX is both an excellent DAC (probably around the level of a Bifrost 4490) and DAC/AMP. Plus it has some features you're not likely to find in a standard DAC, such as cross-feed and filter selection.

what really? that DC-1's amp is inferior to the m9xx? that thing looks bulkier than m9xx.

Dec 17, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #837 of 2,153
what really? that DC-1's amp is inferior to the m9xx? that thing looks bulkier than m9xx.

Don't let size fool you. The DC-1 also has a larger board needed for the added connectivities and ports. The m9XX is really a watered down DAC/amp but only so far as connections go. It's a top end product as far as performance goes. Think of it as a 911 GT3. What matters is the sound, and conveniences are unnecessary. Just like the GT3 without HVAC or stereo. The DC-1 is the more flexible unit, but less purpose built. The m9XX was built with ambitious and clear goals in mind; match the m920 in performance. Nothing more and nothing less. I also looked into the DC-1 and posted my reasons for choosing the m9XX over the DC-1. Can't remember what those reasons were, but I believe that the DC-1 amp may have been the reason as well.

Dec 17, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #838 of 2,153
think its worth getting this dc-1 for my other headphones?
having to constantly plug and unplug multiple pairs is annoying when lets say im feeling
hd650 instead of k701 this minute and the next couple of hours maybe the hd600 and so on.
and i can also do a comparison.

Dec 17, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #839 of 2,153
think its worth getting this dc-1 for my other headphones?

having to constantly plug and unplug multiple pairs is annoying when lets say im feeling

hd650 instead of k701 this minute and the next couple of hours maybe the hd600 and so on.

and i can also do a comparison.

I believe that the DC-1 comes with 2 3.5mm jack ports while the m9XX comes with 2 quarter inch ports. Getting the DC-1 will not offer any advantages as far as direct number of headphones driven are concerned. I have several pairs as well. I keep plugged in headphones of similar impedences but only remove one if the impedance varies widely. I'm afraid there isn't much you can do about this. Having two ports is definitely an advantage. Never seen one with independent power though.

Dec 17, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #840 of 2,153
The extra performance offered by a more expensive DAC chip won't matter nearly as much as the implementation and the sound of the m9xx will always be colored by it's amp and the M9xx has no analog input to the amp so there's no way to really compare the DAC portion to the M920. All you can do is AB the combo to another DAC and amp (level matched if you want). All of these "match" the m9xx in performance as in you wouldn't be able to pick out the slightly better specs apart by ear if you bothered to level match them out the same amp. The m920 even has a Sabre D/A chip vs the newer AKM 4490 in the m9xx. For Schiit Bifrost vs Modi 2, the AKM 4396 Modi 2 actually has "better" total harmonic distortion specs than the AKM 4490 Bifrost, which has an extra bit of delta-sigma modulation "performance" and a four db higher signal to noise  but it just doesn't matter compared to the different sound of their analog stages. Tons of phones have expensive D to A chips and sound like crap compared to blacker background Realteks in computer mobos and Asus soundcards. The main benefit of the Bifrost over the cheaper DACs is that because it has separate boards it's upgradable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back