Grace Design Model 901...Initial Impressions (very long)
Jun 15, 2002 at 2:09 AM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by 88Sound

As far as the W100/W2002 comparison.....do I have to?
rolleyes.gif

Yes please!

Jun 15, 2002 at 5:04 AM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by 88Sound
The first thing I tried was going through all the screens on the DV47A to enable it to output 96kHz, but I still have yet to run across a DVD that will cause the 901 to sync at this rate.

Might I recommend this one ?
evil_smiley.gif

If you'd rather not spend the money just for the sake of this review, EM or PM me, I have a few:

my DAD collection

...and I'd be happy to lend one or two to you. (I also have that Windham Hill boxset.)

Jun 24, 2002 at 11:07 AM Post #18 of 20
The following is an update to my 901 review, it has been placed on the original post for this thread and in the amp review section.

Here are some updates as of 6-24-02:

The switches on the 901 are not absolutely silent all the time, I sometimes hear a very slight transient when engaging or disengaging the digital/analog, high/low switch, or operating the volume control, still quite acceptable.

So far I can get the 901 to sync at 96kHz with DAD discs (DVD-V) only (thanks to Dusty Chalk for the DAD's info!). I have a Bucky Pizzarelli DVD-A put out by Chesky that on the DVD menu you can select 2 channel 24 bit/96kHz output, the DV47-A displays DVD-A V, but it still only outputs 48kHz to the digital out. In my 901 review I stated that the 901 DAC sounded better to me in all cases, I am now finding that on DVD-A discs I like the DV47A DAC better. Somehow I think the DV47A is artificially crippling the digital out down to 48kHz on DVD-A discs but the internal DAC is operating at 96kHz.

Based on some interconnect education I received at this very site I have changed my digital connection between the DV47A and the 901 from TOS LINK (optical) to Coax.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back