GR07 Worth Amping?
Jul 4, 2011 at 9:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Alondite

100+ Head-Fier
I just got my pair of GR07s about a week ago, currently have about 50 hours on them and I am really, really impressed with how the sound is shaping up.

I have one question though: would it be worth it to buy a portable amp for them?

The reason I ask is because I'm noticing a pretty significant difference in sound from my laptop than from my ipod. The sound is...punchier, and the underlying musical lines are much more forward and have more presence, which I like. 

Is this merely a symptom of the output quality being better on my laptop, or is it because they are better driven coming from my laptop? I'm going to guess it's a bit of both.

If an amp is something I should look into, I'm just looking for a portable amp. It doesn't need to be anything fancy, and I have no intentions of using it for anything other than whatever portable media player I'm using (I'm pretty content with how the sound is from my laptop). Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Jul 4, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #3 of 17
Will a warm amp skew the signature more toward warmth? Because I love the natural signature of the R07s. Should I look into a more transparent amp? And I can't really afford to spend a lot so I really need that bang-for-buck factor.

Jul 4, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #6 of 17
The iPod lineout with AMPs use will improve the soundquality( crisp, clear sound)much more than iPod hp jack. I will recommend the 18AWG SXC or 18AWG pure Cryo dock cable with Fiio E11 or iBasso T3d.

Jul 5, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #7 of 17
iPods are weak and really struggles to really drive these sufficiently. The iPod classic and iPhone are better than the nano and shuffles but not by much.

+1 to e11 for very good value and mostly neutral sound

Jul 5, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #8 of 17
The Head-Fi community hasn't let me down yet haha. Thanks for all your help. I think I've decided on the e11, and I'll almost certainly get a line-out cable to go with it (I had already planned to do so anyway). Thanks again!

Jul 5, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #10 of 17
FYI: Notebooks/Laptops are not designed for high fidelity use straight out its earphone jack.  Adding an amp may make the subpar sound quality that much more worse.   If you'll be using your notebook as a source, look into a good USB DAC.  If I read the OP description right, the sound is better on the notebook - then it sounds you're using some software based EQ.  If the latter is true, then just an amp should do the trick.

Jul 5, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #11 of 17

Respectfully speaking, I find this isnt always the case. My laptop audio is pretty stinkin' incredible considering it wasnt designed for music (its a dell latitude). There is virtually no line interference detectable from the IE8's or B2's (which are two very sensetive IEM's). Also, like the OP's laptop, I find the sound punchier and much more natural; the tone just feels tight and spot on. It is the only source I have which shamelessly exposes the sound signature of any IEM I plug in; I actually perfer it over my Fiio e7/e9 combo on my desktop
cool.gif

Jul 6, 2011 at 3:09 AM Post #12 of 17

Quote:
Skip that pure Cryo cable, snake oil is all that it is.

Not sure about that but IMO at this price point considering the quality of source, amp and IEM it doesn't make sense to pay so much for what will definitely be a very small increment in the sound.

Getting an amp for an Ipod is recommended as most Ipods I have heard give a noticeable improvement in sound via their line outs.

Jul 9, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #13 of 17

Quote:
Skip that pure Cryo cable, snake oil is all that it is.

Do you have a better suggestions? Will Fiio's line out cable do the job? My hours just got cut way back so I'm on a bit of a budget right now.

Quote:
FYI: Notebooks/Laptops are not designed for high fidelity use straight out its earphone jack.  Adding an amp may make the subpar sound quality that much more worse.   If you'll be using your notebook as a source, look into a good USB DAC.  If I read the OP description right, the sound is better on the notebook - then it sounds you're using some software based EQ.  If the latter is true, then just an amp should do the trick.

I have no intentions of using the amp with my laptop anyway. Sometime down the road when I have some money to blow I will probably invest in a USB DAC though. 

Quote:
Not sure about that but IMO at this price point considering the quality of source, amp and IEM it doesn't make sense to pay so much for what will definitely be a very small increment in the sound.

Getting an amp for an Ipod is recommended as most Ipods I have heard give a noticeable improvement in sound via their line outs.

I'm thinking I'm going to go with the $80 bundle of the Fiio E11 and L9 line out cable. It's within my price range at the moment and I've heard good things so I'm going to give it a shot. I've never noticed much difference in quality when it comes to buying more expensive cables (in audio or video) anyway so I can't really justify spending any more for a "better" line out.

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #14 of 17
My experience with the GR07 says no.  The earphone is pretty easy to drive.  An amp can be good if the source you use has very little wattage.  An amp with a DAC can be good if the source you use has mediocre audio quality.  The GR07 is pretty revealing and will show you any flaws quite readily.

So what about the amp issue?  Well, the GR07, without knowing specifics, sounds like a weak motored speaker.  It simply lacks raw power and is limited to some degree in presentation by this.  It's a sound that makes you want to throw more wattage at it to fix it, but really wattage isn't where it's short.  More will do nothing to improve upon the sound.  If you find the GR07 sounds weak, it's because the driver is weak.  I think it was done on purpose for the intended goal that VSONIC may have had for the earphone, but versus more powerful and authoritative earphones, the GR07 sounds weak.  This is not an amping issue.

What about amping for tonal changes?  Sure, that can be done.  That's personal preference really.  The GR07 is well balanced overall.  I think it's one of if not the most balanced earphone I've used.  I think the treble can be overly aggressive for some.  However a warm amp may accent the bass a little too much, and the bass is well presented and full as is.  I would guess a warm amp would simply make the GR07 warm sounding.  If that's your goal, great.  If you were simply trying to make it more balanced, well, it's good as is.  I would be more inclined to pair a warm amp to a slightly bright earphone like the RE252 instead.  That makes sense.  A colored amp on the GR07 would just make a colored GR07.

Jul 12, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #15 of 17
, the GR07, without knowing specifics, sounds like a weak motored speaker.  It simply lacks raw power and is limited to some degree in presentation by this.  It's a sound that makes you want to throw more wattage at it to fix it, but really wattage isn't where it's short.  More will do nothing to improve upon the sound.  If you find the GR07 sounds weak, it's because the driver is weak.  I think it was done on purpose for the intended goal that VSONIC may have had for the earphone, but versus more powerful and authoritative earphones, the GR07 sounds weak. 

Would you be able to elaborate on this?
I just find the statement very interesting because I definitely hear what you mean but never thought it could be because of something like that. Kind of an odd comparison but they remind me of my dog; when you play with him he'll put his mouth around your hand but he'll never bite down. I agree that it seems like it was done on purpose by VSONIC. I think I'm nearing 150 hours of burn in and feel like I'm getting a bit more bite out of them but who knows, it could be in my head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back