GR07 vs. EX600 for a HJE900 lover?
Oct 23, 2011 at 7:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Napilopez

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey guys! So I haven't been too active on the boards lately, but my wallets been feeling too heavy(yeah right) and needs some relief.

Basically, I've been pretty set on getting the GR07 once I could afford them, but then I read about the EX600, which has made me reconsider. They're cheaper, readily and quickly available, and have certain qualities in the sound I might like. Any other recommendations under $200 (Under 170 preferably) are welcome.

I know people have done comparisons before, I've read through the threads, but I thought it would be helpful if someone could compare them to the IEMs I've had, particularly the Panasonic HJE900, which are my favorite IEMs ever. Perhaps favorite overall headphone, next to my Samson SR850.

Although the Pannies are far from neutral, I do like neutralish sound(with perhaps a slight tendency towards a V-shape) overall, as evidenced by my love of the Samson SR850. Basically, neutral sounding but with palpable bass impact and treble that can sparkle and shimmer. A large soundstage with good imaging/positioning is important to me. Good timbre is hard to find, but a major plus as well. Also, not having sub-bass rumble is a huge turnoff for me, which is what makes me not like my Ety MC5s nearly as much as some other headphones I have. I prefer linear bass to a hump; I really don't like bass roll-off.

The GR07 sounds like it hits my kind of balance, overall. But I like how the EX600 has a large realistic soundstage, something i'm always striving for in IEMs. But then the EX600 worries me because I hear it may be lacking bass? How is it's impact? Does the bass roll-off a lot? One of the things I like about the GR07 is how it's supposed to have ample sub-bass rumble while having linear bass that doesn't kill the midrange. I also hear the EX600 can have piercing treble, which worries me but then again I'm coming from an HJE900 which some people believe to be really harsh. and I've never had issues with treble sensitivity.

I recently bought a Thinksound TS02+mic, which I like a lot more than my MC5.

Any comparisons of the GR07 and EX600, particularly in reference to the HJE900, MC5, or TS02 would be great.

Sorry for the convoluted post. I tried to write a lot in a hurry lol.

Oct 23, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #2 of 23
I have the GR07 and have listened to the EX600 on multiple occasions; you can't go wrong with either, but I'll offer another option: Audio Technica's CKM99

Although slightly more expensive, the CKM99 is often compared to the GR07 and EX600, and more than one seasoned Head-Fi'er has vouched for its sonic enjoyability. They're less neutral than both the GR07 and EX600, but still remain well balanced. I think it may just give you the slightly colored slant that you might be looking for.

Check out takoyaki7's thread dedicated to the CKM99 or Joker's comments on it in his Multi-IEM review.

Oct 24, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #3 of 23
Thanks tom! The CKM99 has been a top contender for me, actually third in my list right behind the GR07 and EX600. Still, given the current prices I can find them for, I think I'd prefer the former two. The small price differences do make a difference for my paycheck-to-paycheck college lifestyle =P. I'm also concerned with what sounds like rather hot lower treble. Though I generally don't have treble issues, I'd also rather avoid them =P

I see that you own the Superlux HD668B, which are supposed to be very similar to my Samson SR850, just a bit less bassy. I absolutely love the sound signature of my SR850, a bit more extension is pretty much the only thing I wish for. How would you compare the sound signature of the EX600 and GR07 to your Superlux? Particularly in terms of bass and treble.

Thanks a lot!

Oct 24, 2011 at 2:05 AM Post #4 of 23
I have been reading some interesting threads on the JVC FXT90 that might be up your alley as well. I have been trying to ignore the curiosity I am feeling regarding them LOL.

Oct 24, 2011 at 2:24 AM Post #5 of 23
Haha and those were the fourth on my list of considered IEMs. The main thing stopping me from considering those more is the whole "average width" soundstage I've been hearing looking for above average =P

Oct 24, 2011 at 5:21 AM Post #6 of 23
The width of the FXT90 is just as wide if not a bit more than the GR07, it's surely above average but not very wide like the EX600. 

Oct 24, 2011 at 6:12 AM Post #7 of 23
The GR07 basically stopped all my impulse IEM purchases..  endgame...

I took 3-4 days to come to realise what they were and what they can do, but once you realise their prowess..  its over...

Oct 24, 2011 at 7:02 AM Post #8 of 23
Haha, given the different things I've read it really seems to come down to sound signature preference and other non-acoustic factors like fit, comfort and price. I've added the CKM99 to my list of IEMs being considered. Starting to think I might actually care a bit about isolation and fit. I've never had fit issues with IEMs, but I don't like that many people seem to feel their EX600 is going to fall out even when they never do.... I wish the GR07 and CKM99 had replaceable cables though. I think it's rather ridiculous that the flagships of these companies(even the CK100 for AT) don't have them. I'm worried the FXT90 might be a bit too dark for my liking.

EDIT: NVM, now the FXT90 is entering the fray too... I thought the FXT90 were supposed to be really dark sounding but now they seem to lie somewhere between the GR07 and FX700 in terms of treble brightness and bass quantity, with great timbre to boot... so yea. Thanks Inks >_> hahah. I'm a bit torn because I want something neutral-analyticalish but still fun and versatile with bassy genres, yet it already seemed like the GR07 matched that for me. If someone can compare to the full-size Samson SR850, which has an almost ideal frequency response for me minus a bit of overall bass, that would be great.

Oct 24, 2011 at 7:41 AM Post #10 of 23
How would you describe their relative ability for instrument separation, relative to eachother and the HJE900? Sounds like they're both better, but it helps as a reference frame =P I'm somewhat torn between looking for something fun and something detailed/analytical. It would just be nice to find something that I can consider a clear upgrade to the HJE900s in terms of technical capability, which I haven't yet with the possible exception of my full-size SR850s. I know that at this price range things become less about "better or worse" and more about preference, but still. The FXT90 sounds like great fun but perhaps a bit less technically capable than some of the other IEMs I mentioned. Guess I'll keep reading though =P

Thanks in advance!

Oct 24, 2011 at 7:52 AM Post #11 of 23
I prefer the fxt90 for my preferences but based on your comments I think the gr07 may be what you are looking for. It's been a while since I sold my hje900's...

The gr07 is more monitor like. It has very good clarity and transparency. It does distortion guitar even better than the Panasonics and is one of the best with drums I've heard. It's treble is smoother than the Panasonics and it has much better sub bass rumble and texture. The gr07 has very little mid bass comparatively. On its downside is soft dynamics resulting in a wide but shallow soundstage. 

I forgot to add that the gr07 has really good instrument separation. IMO it approaches BA like separation. 

Oct 24, 2011 at 8:03 AM Post #12 of 23
I have not heard the GR07.
But if you like about the HJE900 what I like about them, you will not enjoy the EX600.

Timbre, soundstage and emotions are far greater with the HJE900. The EX600 is more detailed and more neutral (not natural sounding).
If you like to visit live concerts, the Sony will bore you to death.

The *real* upgrade to the HJE900 is the FX700, trust me!

Edit: Here's a little thread of mine.

Oct 24, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #13 of 23
Haha, I would love the FX700 but it's way out of my budget at the moment. The 170 I'm aiming for is the most I can stretch. I would also wouldn't mind something more neutral than the HJE900, I just don't want something too much more neutral. Like my Ety MC5 which is more neutral than the HJE900, but do everything a whole lot worse. Not that they're bad, but nowhere near the HJE900 in almost any technical capability imo, and are a heck lot less fun to boot. My Samson SR850s strike a nice balance.

I'm suprised you said the soundstage is better on the HJE900 though. The FXT90 and GR07 seem like top contenders at the moment when taking practicality into consideration as well, but having to wait till friday for my paycheck and then another 10+days for delivery is going to kill me XD. Still looking at the CKM99, but it seems to be just a little of a notch behind the GR07 or EX600 technically, though I guess it might be close enough for it to be arguable. I really detest those short cables+extension AT uses though. Decisions, decisions.

Oct 24, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #15 of 23
Yea, that's what I've been hearing, although I'm thinking I still want something that is at least on par with the FX700 technically. Then again, you sold your FX700s and kept the FXT90 which definitiely says something. But I'm also hesitant because I'm impatient for shopping =P. I guess it's a bit of letting myself prepare for the wait(I'm the type who tends to either buy in store or order 1-2 day shipping lol).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back