Got to hear the SHURE E500 today...
Mar 25, 2006 at 10:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

ElectroJunkie

100+ Head-Fier
I went to the Montreal HiFi show today and Shure had a booth setup. I listend to the E500 directly out of my ipod using lossless files. Compared to my UE5c the SHURE E500 were far more detailed, accross the board. They sounde more balanced then my UE5c's as well (there wasn't the bass hump like my UE5's). My impressions are brief but What I can say is that I will be ordering a pair once they come out.

THe PTH here module was very very cool and worked well. It is a lot smaller and more lightweight then I would have thought. The Shure rep kind and encouraged me to return to the show with my amp (Headroom Micro DM) to have another listen.

A funny side note: there was a booth setup seing classical cd's at the show. They had the Orpheus system hooked upto one of their cd players. It was the Orpheus electrostatic tube amp and the the HE60's too. I felt bad cause I stood there for 40 min just listening. I didn't particularly like the music but the Orpheus system was outstanding.

Mar 26, 2006 at 2:31 AM Post #4 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
The E500 is out? You sure it wasn't the E5c?

Nope, it isn't out, but the Shure reps have pre-production models at that show. Last year at this time I got to hear the E4C before it came out.

Mar 26, 2006 at 4:01 AM Post #5 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElectroJunkie
I went to the Montreal HiFi show today and Shure had a booth setup. I listend to the E500 directly out of my ipod using lossless files. Compared to my UE5c the SHURE E500 were far more detailed, accross the board. They sounde more balanced then my UE5c's as well (there wasn't the bass hump like my UE5's). My impressions are brief but What I can say is that I will be ordering a pair once they come out.

Thanks for the quick impressions. I know I'm eagerly awaiting a listen at the Nationals. This is probably my next purchase depending on how much they deliver based on all the hype. I really want high-quality sound unamped from an universal IEM.

Mar 26, 2006 at 4:19 AM Post #6 of 41
Cool, good to know there's a hifi show nearby. I should be there tomorrow to check out. Some questions for anyone near.

1. I googled it and found it to be in the Sheraton Center, 1201, Rene-Levesque Blvd West, Montreal, Quebec. Is this right?

2. Is it free or do you need tickets?

3. What else besides E500 and orpheus are interesting?

Mar 26, 2006 at 4:58 AM Post #7 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by blueice
Cool, good to know there's a hifi show nearby. I should be there tomorrow to check out. Some questions for anyone near.

1. I googled it and found it to be in the Sheraton Center, 1201, Rene-Levesque Blvd West, Montreal, Quebec. Is this right?

2. Is it free or do you need tickets?

3. What else besides E500 and orpheus are interesting?

Tickets are $12 for one day, and the show is on from 10 am to 5 pm tommorow. If your into hifi there is a ton of stuff. I partcularly enjoyed the Macintosh Audio room, as well as the Arcam room.

Mar 26, 2006 at 6:21 AM Post #8 of 41
Ok maybe a weird question, but... did people share tips when sampling the E500?
confused.gif
How did the sampling sessions work?

Mar 26, 2006 at 6:31 AM Post #9 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lsportline43
Ok maybe a weird question, but... did people share tips when sampling the E500?
confused.gif
How did the sampling sessions work?

I can't speak for this specific situation since I was not there, but typically, IEM manufacturer reps bring with them a big bag of tips and discard each set of tips after each listener.

Mar 26, 2006 at 6:36 AM Post #10 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by bLue_oNioN
I can't speak for this specific situation since I was not there, but typically, IEM manufacturer reps bring with them a big bag of tips and discard each set of tips after each listener.

Ok, I see... thanks for the clarification.

Mar 26, 2006 at 6:39 AM Post #11 of 41
Quote:

Ok maybe a weird question, but... did people share tips when sampling the E500? How did the sampling sessions work?

In San Francisco, when they previewed the E500 at MacWorld, they supplied everyone with a separate set of rubber earpieces. I took mine with me, and still have them somewhere.

The E500 sounded very nice. The best representation of reggae I've ever heard on any earphone, period, and has a rich tone, albeit with something like a bass overlay (but not as pronounced as wtih the UM2s).

Mar 26, 2006 at 2:06 PM Post #12 of 41
Just a short question for Electro (& others who have tried the E500). How was the comfort and fit of wearing them? I'm seriously considering westone's UM2 right now as those are the most comfortable universal IEMs I have ever tried (apart from the UM1 which was about the same). They stay in well, and just sort of 'get lost' in my ear and offer sound that I'm more than happy with.

However if the E500 can match the comfort levels of the UM series then maybe I'll hold out for them
wink.gif

Mar 26, 2006 at 6:31 PM Post #13 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Card18
Just a short question for Electro (& others who have tried the E500). How was the comfort and fit of wearing them? I'm seriously considering westone's UM2 right now as those are the most comfortable universal IEMs I have ever tried (apart from the UM1 which was about the same). They stay in well, and just sort of 'get lost' in my ear and offer sound that I'm more than happy with.

However if the E500 can match the comfort levels of the UM series then maybe I'll hold out for them
wink.gif

If anything, they were more comfortable than the UM2, but not by a large margin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back