Got the dt770's a couple days ago and all I can say is w o w ! (mini review)
Jul 20, 2005 at 10:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Pinny

100+ Head-Fier
I got the dt770's from Guitar Center the other day. I listen to pop, rap, and alternative rock and all I can say is wow. If you're more into eloquent classical music then these may not be the best bet for you, but for bassy music they are imho perfect! I can't really think of how to describe the sound but I would say the lowest bass notes are loud and punchy (in a fun grooving type of way), the mids are basically flat and the highs are quite present and very detailed.

Now onto fitting: I have an average (although definitly the bigger side of average) size head. I put on the dt770's for the first time and though, "yep... these clamp hard... what a shame." Well I bought them anyway because they sounded so perfect. After buying them I bent/stretched the headband considerably, and now they fit like a dream. These awesome soft cushiony pads pressing ever so gently against my ears is simply sensational. Interestingly, I don't think this affected the amount of isolation at all - I think that as long as they have a sufficiently firm grip on your head, that's enough and they don't need to be clamping.

Comments on build quality: They seem to be contructed out of pretty solid metal. Which is a good thing because I abuse my equipment (ie: I took it to the baseball stadium last night on a camp outing). I noticed from the second the phones came out of the box that the ear pads started to shed little threads but I'm sure they'll last for a very long time (a couple years) before needing to be replaced. I don't think I will need it but I bargained guitar center to throw in the warrantee for free which they said will cover anything (blown driver, snapped off earphone).

Time to address looks: Although it's circumaural, it actually still looks pretty compact. Compared to grados and especially compared to v6's, the thing looks tiny. Maybe it's the colors (charcoal black and silver earpads) or maybe it's just the shape but on the bus to camp, I got almost no comments, and at the ball park a couple people came up to me and told me they looked neat and actually asked me for a listen.

Here's my question: Whenever I plug the dt770's into my laptop and then turn up the volume, if there's no music playing I hear a hiss. Is this because the amp on my laptop's sound card is not so good?

This headphone is a package. It's super comfortable (albeit with some neccessary stretching of the headband), well built, and sounds great - fun punchy bass with lots of detail.

Jul 21, 2005 at 2:03 AM Post #2 of 4
anybody have anything to say?

Jul 21, 2005 at 2:15 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by pinny
Here's my question: Whenever I plug the dt770's into my laptop and then turn up the volume, if there's no music playing I hear a hiss. Is this because the amp on my laptop's sound card is not so good?

Probably.

Jul 21, 2005 at 3:08 AM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for the review, I'm looking to join Team Beyer myself.

Hissing would be due to your soundcard for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back