Got the Brainwavz B2...but need more thump!
Aug 9, 2012 at 8:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

DavidGD

New Head-Fier
I'm a newbie to higher-end IEMs and after doing a lot of reading around this site I decided to get the Klipsch S4s...well I really didn't like the wire on the S4s and returned them. After doing more research and up-ing my budget I bought a set of Brainwavz B2s. I really like how clear the B2s are and I get a great seal with their foam tips, but I'm finding that they don't put out enough bass/thump for me. That is really my only complaint about the B2s, but its really bugging me.

So my question is, for around $150, what would give me better bass/thump but have clear highs like the B2s?

My reading on this forum has presented me with these options:

Yamaha EPH-100
Rocket Sounds R-50
HiFiMan RE-262
UE TripleFi 10

Thanks for the help!
David

Aug 9, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #2 of 31
How much of a chance have you given them? Maybe youll get used to the new sound after some time with them.

Aug 9, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #3 of 31
Quote:
How much of a chance have you given them? Maybe youll get used to the new sound after some time with them.

I've had them for about 2 weeks now. For some music they are great, but for the vast majority of songs I'm always searching for a bit more low-end thump. I had a pair of UEs a while back, can't remember the model, but they had great low end and I miss that. They fell apart really quickly though.

Aug 9, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #5 of 31
The EPH-100 might not have the highs your looking for but they do have good bass.  The R-50 while it has more bass than the B2 still might not be quite enough for you.  I'd say go with the TF10, it has bass with good punch and nice sparkle in the highs along with a large soundstage.

Aug 9, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #6 of 31
Quote:
The EPH-100 might not have the highs your looking for but they do have good bass.  The R-50 while it has more bass than the B2 still might not be quite enough for you.  I'd say go with the TF10, it has bass with good punch and nice sparkle in the highs along with a large soundstage.

+1
R-50s are slightly warmer than the B2, but really 'slightly' with almost the same sound signature.
TF10s provide great amount of bass while still maintain good treble (use them with stock tips).
A bit better width than the B2 and R-50 but less depth.

Aug 9, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #7 of 31
Nothing is going to give you the same level of clear highs like the B2 but with noticeably more bass in the sub $400 range... You will always have to compromise one or more areas - be it highs or mids or soundstage or clarity, etc.  

You could try some of the other dual-BA based IEMs that may have slightly less high or slightly more forward mids for a slightly stronger bass presence/body... but really these would be 5-10% changes

I'm afraid you are doomed to search forever and spend all your money, just like the rest of us. 

Aug 9, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #8 of 31
Thanks for the feedback!

The TF-10s seem like they would be a good fit for what I'm looking for. I saw they are a fairly large size IEM, has this been an issue for anyone?

@ YGGDRASILIOUS - lol. Hopefully I won't get sucked in too bad :wink: But you are right, I will have to compromise. I think losing a bit on the highs would be ok with me to have a bit more low end.

Aug 10, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #9 of 31
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback!
The TF-10s seem like they would be a good fit for what I'm looking for. I saw they are a fairly large size IEM, has this been an issue for anyone?

Yes, it has been an issue for many people, especialy ppl with small ears.
TF10s are not the easiest and most comfortable one to wear, I found lots of ppl who love their sound but not their comfy.
However, i'm lucky enough to have no problem wearing them.

Aug 10, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #10 of 31
Quote:
Anyone? Thoughts? Recommendations?

I'd say the JVC FXT90's maintain much of the clarity and mid/treble capability of B-2's, and add considerably more thump/bass impact. They have a thicker note presentation and consequently less "air" and instrument separation than B-2/DBA-02's. I go back and forth between them, although I find the DBA-02 balance generally more my style.

Aug 10, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #11 of 31
If you do the flip flop mod on the TF10 they fit so much better than the stock way.  All you do is turn the housing 180 degrees so it curving in and not out.  After I did that to mine I have no fit or comfort issues and can workout or run without having to adjust them every 5mins like I did before the flip.

Aug 10, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #12 of 31
Thanks for the help gys. The TF-10s do look like their sound signature would work out well, guess I would have to try them out and see if I have any fitment issues.

I looked up the JVC FXT90's, they are a lot cheaper and have some good reviews that state their sound signature is warmer with more bass.

Aug 10, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #14 of 31
Warmer yes and they have a little bit more bass but not anything that thumps.  I think the TF10 would be your best bet, don't let people like myself talking about fit issues scare you.  They sound great and are well worth the $165 plus you always have the option of reshelling them later on.

Aug 10, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #15 of 31
Why not try amping the bugger. Using brainwavz b2 with my cmoybb. Toggle the bass boost and voila, adds a decent bass body to the b2's punchy and quick bass delivery. I hard the b2s initially. But after a while, I realized that not a lot of iems are able to replicate the sheer detail it is able to present.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back