Got the Blues?
Jan 16, 2016 at 5:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1,678

HPiper

Headphoneus Supremus
I see threads for classical, metal, jazz, and all else but nothing for the blues. I know of several people on these forums who listen to little else but the blues. Just post things you have that you particularly like or something you really want to get. I get to start. I got this as I used to live in Austin, Tx and got to hear this lady live on many occasions. Great blues singer.

Jan 18, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #2 of 1,678

Though he grew up as a drummer and was raised on rock & roll Coco became an outstanding blues guitarist after stints in the bands of Albert Collins and John Mayall and debuted as a leader in 1995 with the Blind Pig album Gotta Mind to Travel and garnered an award for Best New Blues Artist at the following year's W.C. Handy Awards ceremonies.
(credit to allmusic.com)

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #3 of 1,678

After struggling with childhood abuse and a crippling stutter, country blues singer, songwriter, and guitarist Doug Macleod found his true voice when he picked up a guitar and began to sing. He was born in New York on April 21, 1946, but moved to Raleigh, North Carolina with his parents shortly after his birth. The family moved back to New York before relocating to St. Louis when MacLeod was in his teens. Frequenting the blues clubs there, he learned from veteran artists like Albert King, Little Milton, and Ike & Tina Turner, and played around St. Louis in various bands as a bassist before enlisting in the Navy. Stationed in Norfolk, Virginia, he spent his off-base hours playing in the local blues clubs, developing a unique and rhythmic country blues acoustic guitar style, often abetted with intricate bottleneck slide runs, and a soulful and powerfully immediate vocal style -- all traces of his childhood stutter had been overcome.
(credit to allmusic.com)

Jan 24, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #7 of 1,678

The aptly titled GATE SWINGS finds the Texas roots music legend harking back to the big band blues/jazz hybrids popular in the late 1940s. Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown's own work from the '40s and '50s (see the Rounder reissue THE ORIGINAL PEACOCK RECORDINGS) was heavily influenced by these styles. His deft, inventive guitar work, bluesy vocals, and astonishing ability to harness the goosebump-inducing power of an R&B big band are as evident on this 1997 release as they were some 50 years earlier.
The opener, "Midnight Hour," is a remake of his 1954 original, and gets things cooking with a loping groove powered by the gargantuan sound of his 17-piece ensemble. Songs that have long been part of Brown's live repertoire, including classics like "Take The A Train" and Percy Mayfield's "River's Invitation," are mixed in among brilliant Brown originals like "Bits and Pieces" and the funky "Gate's Blues Waltz," featuring fine tenor and alto sax solos from Tony Dagradi and Eric Demmer, respectively. Even after over half a century in the business, the Gate is still churning out lively, musically astonishing efforts that swing harder than anything around.
(Courtesy Allmusic.com)
 ​

Jan 24, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #8 of 1,678

Includes a 16-minute cut that is a history of blues guitar legends who have inspired Robillard.

Jan 24, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #9 of 1,678

Muddy's "unplugged" album was cut in September of 1963 and is very well recorded. It was Muddy returning to his original style on a plain acoustic guitar in a well-tuned room with Buddy Guy on second acoustic guitar.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2016 at 6:12 AM Post #11 of 1,678
Great thread.....so glad this got started...I am always looking for more great blues music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back