Got the BD DT880 and still not so happy...
Sep 16, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #16 of 45
sa3k's i tired and they sounded really really crap,the senns 465 chopped em up big times, i find that weird, i mean both pairs were out of the box. Unless the sa3k's go through a dramatic change during burn in or they just completely suck

Sep 16, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #17 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duheed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^ im trying to figure out how going for beyers dt880 down to sony sa1k is meant to be an improvement. Not really great advice mate

Eh, I meant to try the 1k's, and see if he likes them, because the signature sound, details etc. are the same on the 1k's and 5k's. Of course there's some differences through ought, but if he enjoys the 1k's, but is looking for more bass, the 5k's are the way to go.

I tried the 1k's, because I didn't want to spend nearly $400 on a pair of headphones unheard. So, I did the next best thing, got the "cheaper" version. I will move up to the 5k's though. I will be giving the 1k's to a family member as a "gift", when I get my hands on the 5k's.

I'm not sure if you read all of my response, but I said to try the 1k's, return them (assuming he buys new from an online retailer), and get the 5k's.
wink.gif

Sep 16, 2007 at 5:48 PM Post #18 of 45
Quote:

sa3k's i tired and they sounded really really crap,the senns 465 chopped em up big times, i find that weird, i mean both pairs were out of the box. Unless the sa3k's go through a dramatic change during burn in or they just completely suck

Mostly because of personal preference, but SA5k is said to have much better bass than SA3k or SA1k. But they arent bass monsters, just fast and punchy. Though so is DT880, so if OP found quantity lacking, im not sure if SA5k would be improvement either until I have heard a pair myself.

Sep 16, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #19 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElephantTLK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mybe Denon´s are really good choice. But prolines semms like a good choice too. That sony model is out of option. Lol. That would be few steps back i guess.

It's all good. $400 is a step back for some, and a step up for others.
600smile.gif

I liked the Proline 750's I heard...

Sep 16, 2007 at 5:56 PM Post #20 of 45
You mean Sony SA5000? That seems interesting. But i don´t really know with what they compare in sound signature. But they are too expensive for now. Anything from 200 to 350$ is what i am looking for.

Sep 16, 2007 at 6:39 PM Post #21 of 45
excluding Grado, that's a tough one. The only ones i've heard to have similar signature is the Ultrasone's, like somebody suggested. They've got their fans, but mixed reviews, an they're hard to come by used. Definitely the AKG 701/501 range and the Senn's are not what you're looking for (but if you get the opportunity to listen to them, you should)

Sep 16, 2007 at 7:30 PM Post #23 of 45
Ok Grado sounds interesting but it lacks of comfort. What if i say that the closed version would be better choice. I like the isolation from outside when i listen to music/watching concerts. So if now i choose closed cans over open this completely change the choice doesn´t it?
So if go for closed cans the best choice is Denon d2000 or Proline 750? Or something third?

Sep 16, 2007 at 11:58 PM Post #25 of 45
Quote:

ur music files prolly suck, if ur playing mp3 make sure theyre at least 190kb/s.

192kbps is the definition of suck. Make that at least FLAC-quality.

Sep 17, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #28 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mindless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
192kbps is the definition of suck. Make that at least FLAC-quality.

-v0 or even v2 VBR MP3s are pretty much indistinguishable compared to lossless quality. If you can hear a difference in a blind test either you have super human ears or you're guessing.

And what do you mean "at least" FLAC-quality? FLAC is lossless, that's the best quality you'll get from any CD-released music.

Sep 17, 2007 at 2:09 AM Post #29 of 45
The DT880/2005 were a bitter disappointment to me after having spent a good deal of time with the DT880/2003. IMHO both ends of the frequency spectrum noticably suffered (i.e., with the 2005 version), leaving me with blah, middle-of-the-road/middle-of-the-frequency-band sound. I agree with your assessment: the DT880/2005 deliver neither the bass-, nor the high frequency goods. There's no air, sweep or grandeur left . . .

Sep 17, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #30 of 45
To original poster:

I would never have chosen DT880 if I wanted punchy phat bass. What led you to this decision?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back