Got SuperMacro V2.0, Awesome!
Mar 8, 2005 at 1:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

goto2003

500+ Head-Fier
This afternoon after the class when I checked my mailbox, I found a small box lying quietly in it. It's a SM V2.0! What a surprise to me. I couldn't wait to give it a trial. All the following impression is based on 30 minutes' listening.

Equiptment: Indigo DJ+SM V2.0 with AD8610 (vs. V1.0 with AD8610)+HD600.

Right out of the box, V2.0 sounds crystal clean. When I played a Strauss, I was shocked by V2.0's sharp sound image, it's much better than V1.0.

The bass, yes, the bass is fast, deep and well controled. "Blasting" really a right word to describe it, better than V1.0.

I found the new chip in the ground channel, not Buf634
smily_headphones1.gif
V2.0's so much better. I don't know how to describe the over-all improvement, but I am 100% sure V2.0 is a great step over V1.0.

However, this V2.0 is actually a modified V1.0. There are some wires in it, which shouldn't appear in a re-designed V2.0 board.

Mar 8, 2005 at 2:02 AM Post #2 of 17
WOW, Goto2003, Thanks for posting your impressions on the SuperMacro (SM) V2.

Can you please inform us if you ordered a new SM V2 amp, or did you select to recieve the updated breadboard, and switch out the old one. I would like to know cause I would like to upgrade my SM V1 to V2 also.

Thanks!

Mar 8, 2005 at 2:09 AM Post #3 of 17
I selected to go with a new board. But Xin seems haven't got the new board and he said he will send me a new one when the new boards are available. Then I will send this modified V1.0 plus the old one to him.

Mar 8, 2005 at 5:03 AM Post #4 of 17
Now I have three hours on SM V2.0 and has better hold of its personality.

1. Sound image and sound stage: SM V1.0 with AD8610 sound very wide but not so deep. Now SM V2.0 "lifts more sound from outside ears up to some place above head", creating a sound stage that's much more 3D and stable. Using SM V2.0, singer is pushed further and not singing onto my face as using SM V1.0. Now I understand why some people said SM V1.0 with AD8610 sounds kind of "flat".

2. Bass. It's really amazing! So much more energy is brought into music when using V2.0, which doesn't have more bass but much higher quality - more controled, faster and powerful. I realized bass really has "shape" and resolution. When using SM V1.0, I can feel the bass come from somewhere, but now, the bass standing there, yelling "I am here". Man, I was shocked when hearing Choruses from Atlanta Orchestra.

Mar 8, 2005 at 5:52 AM Post #5 of 17
I can't wait
biggrin.gif
. I'd LOVE to have it by this weekend, but I should at least have it sometime before the 26th.

Mar 8, 2005 at 4:26 PM Post #6 of 17
Is the current feedback TSH3111 still in there? This is a chip with "3111" number printed on the chip. It is interested that Xin did not think that opamps as used in LR were ideal for ground channel about 6 months ago.
He even said that he have found the ideal ground circuit when almost everyone else has been implementing opamp plus buffer in the ground channel. I was tempted in using current-feedback amp for the ground circuit then but now I will just stick to my current 3-channel architecture for my headphone amp.
You can read more in headwise forum. I wouldn't call it a 3-channel amp if it does not have the additional BUF634 IMHO.
One thing I've found in SM V1.0 is that not all opamps (that are supposed to work in SM) work optimally. Mine did well with OPA627/OPA227/OPA134.
It did not do as well with most of AD chips I tried (AD843, AD797), I did not get those opamps' typical "sound signature". My true 3-channel DIY amp did reveal all the opamps' own "sound signature".
You may want to compare these two SM's using TI chips for those interested in the Burr-Brown sound.

Quote:

Originally Posted by goto2003
I found the new chip in the ground channel, not Buf634
smily_headphones1.gif
V2.0's so much better. I don't know how to describe the over-all improvement, but I am 100% sure V2.0 is a great step over V1.0.

However, this V2.0 is actually a modified V1.0. There are some wires in it, which shouldn't appear in a re-designed V2.0 board.

Mar 8, 2005 at 5:15 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akuan
I wouldn't call it a 3-channel amp if it does not have the additional BUF634 IMHO.

I can't find the 3111 either, but I will check out the chip later. It seems SM V2.0 has really seperated three channels. Quote from Xin's:

"I'll need to figure out how to benchmark it. As the gorund channel is now entirely separated, I cannot use the same computer to test it, or the ground channel is shorted."

Mar 8, 2005 at 8:03 PM Post #8 of 17
How do you think the new supermacro V.2 will stack up against the SR-71?
Sorry, I had to ask because I am considering buying one or the other and now I am totally confused.

Mar 8, 2005 at 8:47 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsilver
How do you think the new supermacro V.2 will stack up against the SR-71?
Sorry, I had to ask because I am considering buying one or the other and now I am totally confused.

We'll find out no later than the 26th :wink: (a friend of mine {dmoffitt} just got his SR-71 and is hopefully coming down for the MD/DC/VA meet. We'll be doing a lot of comparing between our 2 amps.

Mar 8, 2005 at 11:18 PM Post #11 of 17
Goto2003, by any chance do you work for Xin? I can't help but notice that about ~98% of your past posting has been Xin or Supermacro related and you always have the answer concerning the latest changes on Xin releases . You also happen to be one of if not the only one to a preproduction Supermacro V2 and you knew about the new standard chip changing before Xin posted about it. Hmmmmm..........
blink.gif

Mar 9, 2005 at 12:16 AM Post #12 of 17
It's a fair concern.
icon10.gif
I fell in love with "SM" since I got it last year. I don't have many experiences with amps other than Superdual and SuperMacro and I can' t comment anything I haven't tried. I do have frequent communication with Xin and learnt a lot from him, but have no interest relationship with him at all. Last week, I did suggest Xin to use NE5534 as default because I found it sounds better than all other OPAMPs I tried. Xin didn't pay attention to NE5534's until I told him. That's why I know NE5534 would be a new default before he announces it.

Mar 9, 2005 at 12:40 AM Post #13 of 17
I will do a comparison of the SM V2 and the SR71 (which I own) in the very near future. Hopefully there is no one doing promotion that directly involved with any of the manufactures. To be enthused is great, after all music can be very emotional. I see nothing suspicious about someone getting an early version of a new product. The manufacture often likes and desires the feedback.

John

Mar 9, 2005 at 12:44 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8
I will do a comparison of the SM V2 and the SR71 (which I own) in the very near future. Hopefully there is no one doing promotion that directly involved with any of the manufactures. To be enthused is great, after all music can be very emotional. I see nothing suspicious about someone getting an early version of a new product. The manufacture often likes and desires the feedback.

John

Dr. Xin and Ray Samuels operate on their own. I think you will find the folks who respond with thoughts or reviews are just fans of each builder. While some folks here may from time to time receive pre-release gear, it is because the builder wants feedback.

Mar 9, 2005 at 1:23 PM Post #15 of 17
After one more night's listening, I have to add one more differnece in sound between V2.0 and V1.0.

The whole spectrum of V2.0 has more energy than V1.0, which sounds kind of relaxing. It's very obvious when listening to string music in orchestra, I felt much more stress on string out of 2.0.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back