Got Shpongle, but I'm not Shponglized.
Jun 7, 2005 at 2:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

VicAjax

Headphoneus Supremus
so, after hearing so much raving about the wonder that is shpongle, i bought "Tales of the Inexpressible." so far, i've only given it two listens, but so far... i'm a bit underwhelmed. it's better than your average goa-psy... but not by a lot.

perhaps i was expecting too much, but this album is only 4 years old, and to me it sounds more dated than other electronic releases from a decade ago or longer.

a caveat... i'm no electronic connoisseur. i tend to prefer the more experimental sound... the likes of Mouse on Mars, Boards of Canada, Autechre and Aphex Twin. i was expecting shpongle to be akin to the aforementioned.

to be completely honest, it sounds a bit like something i'd hear as background music at bloomingdale's or barney's.

Jun 7, 2005 at 2:12 PM Post #2 of 6
I have to say I haven't listened to alot psy/goa trance music (haven't had the time lately), but I must say I've been listening to the "shpongle remixed" album alot lately. Sounds a step above most trance style music I've ever heard before.

Jun 7, 2005 at 2:37 PM Post #3 of 6
I don't think Shpongle really is meant for fans of IDM and other "fully electronical music". Shpgonle is about sampling, playing with sound and creating multilayered soundscapes and atmosphere. It's not about analogue synthesizers and abstract electronics sounds pulled to the extreme with uneven time signatures and breakbeat. If you were expecting IDM-type of sound from Shpongle, you had a high risk of being dissapointed.

Jun 7, 2005 at 2:54 PM Post #4 of 6
you might want to try some of other groups by simon posford --

younger brother - flock of beeps
hallucinogen - In Dub
Infected Mushroom - Converting Vegetarians -- just one album in particular but lotta good stuff from IM

------------

Astrix - very much in the same vein as IM
theres more but i cant remember -- hopefully patricklang can chime in ....

Jun 7, 2005 at 3:47 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by xtreme4099
you might want to try some of other groups by simon posford --

younger brother - flock of beeps
hallucinogen - In Dub
Infected Mushroom - Converting Vegetarians -- just one album in particular but lotta good stuff from IM

------------

Astrix - very much in the same vein as IM
theres more but i cant remember -- hopefully patricklang can chime in ....

i've seen infected mushroom mentioned quite a bit... didn't realize it was a simon posford project. i'd been contemplating picking some up.

thanks for the suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back