Got questions about Westone 3 and 4R to get the most sound out of it!
Nov 25, 2012 at 6:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Wesley1985

New Head-Fier
Hello,

Got a couple of questions i had a Westone 3 for couple of years.

When i connected the Westone 3 to my phone the sound was better then all the earphones i ever had.
But when i used 6.35mm Plug to 3.5mm Jack Adaptor en connected it to my receiver the sound was beyond amazing.

So much more bass and details plus better soundstage, Unfortunately my Westone 3 is defect but in 2 days i am getting my Westone 4R

Now my question is how do i get that amazing sound from my receiver on my phone or an mp3 player so i can enjoy those sound outside of my home
What do i need to buy so i can get to enjoy those outside or when i go to fitness or even going to work.

thanks in advance for all the answers!

Greets Wesley

Nov 25, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #2 of 9
A decent headphone amplifier.

Nov 25, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #4 of 9
You need to upgrade your source.

Your receiver is feeding the IEM more power and a super clean signal, I'm guessing the receiver is of decent quality. See... this is where things become expensive getting that same sound portable, why we have members spending upwards of $500 - $800 dollars on DAP's such as Studio V 3RD ANV and IBasso DX100. Players like these support their own internal amps and have high quality DAC's. The phone simply cannot reproduce such audio quality alone.

You have a few options.

Buy a decent portable amp use a line out dock for your phone.

Buy a better source with an internal amp. (my recommendation)

Buy a dedicated source of higher quality than your iphone. (Cowon players comes to mind)

And even when you do this, your IEM still may not sound as good as your home set up receiver, unless you go for something super high end like DX100. I can say you'll have better SQ than the phone by upgrading to something like Colorfly C3 or CK4+. Amping would be my second suggestion. Also in the meantime look at the EQ apps such as Equalizer, SonicMAX Pro and eQu , have a muck around with those, get your phone sounding the best you can.

All this boils down to is how much you can spend. $$$$

Nov 25, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #6 of 9
I can spend arround 400 dollars
thanks for all the information so far :D

Personally with that kind of money I would be looking at something like Hisound Studio V (either 1st version or 3RD ANV) You could also consider Hisound Rocco BA which is a little cheaper. Or a nice portable amp like Leckerton UHA-6S MKII with LOD. (line out dock)

If you want to go in budget style check out FiiO E11 portable amp, grab a L9 LOD dock. It might be enough for you? We just don't know exactly what will be enough. That would set you back about $70 in total for the LOD and E11. Would give you a taste of what's out there without breaking your back or jumping in the deep end. The E11 will certainly give you more power and you could test the water levels.

What you need to ask yourself really, is do you need more power, louder, stronger signal. Or better overall Sound quality too. (of course in the best world we want both) I mean does the phone sound ok, but just isn't loud enough? Not enough power? If so then an amp is all you need such as FiiO E11 or Leckerton UHA-6S MKII

However, if you want a change of flavour / a taste of high end SQ go for the different sources.

Hopefully some others can chime in for you. Anyway that's a start, do some reading up on the names I've mentioned.

If you have any questions send me a PM I'll try the best I can to answer for you.

Nov 26, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #8 of 9
This thread is really interesting to me.  I recently got the W3 myself and I feel like, for me, I've reached an IEM that I will be really happy with for a long time.  But my source gear leaves a lot to be desired since I currently am using a Samsung Galaxy Player 4.2.  It has a wolfsom dac but its not a very actively developed device so I can't really take advantage of it.  Not to mention it has issues of skipping every so often since the processor isn't all that powerful.  So I've thought about some of the different portable source gear out there...is HiSound the best way to go?  How does it compare to some of the other audiophile grade portable sources?  I like the compactness of this one.  How does it compare to the HiFiMan?

Nov 26, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #9 of 9
ODAC/O2 seems to be quite popular around there - but my recommendation would be Fiio E10 DAC, absolutely unbelievable for its price, and for portable amps, Fiio E11 or E17 would be good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back