Got myself a Headphone!Great!Now what...
Sep 15, 2009 at 12:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Hi-Po

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone!

two weekse ago I finally bought a nice headphone (at least I think it is
wink.gif
).It is a HFI-680 so not very hefty.I'm planning on buying a K701 in the near future.at the moment my sound is coming from my pc trough a pretty old tapedeck amplifier. It works fine but it can be better.

At the moment I'm building a Cmoy and did some interconnects. Wich is alot of fun. But I want to look a bit further and build an desktop (not portable) amp/dac for use with my pc. Now a problem arises: what would be a good/the best path to follow for Diy?
I'm on a student budget and willing to spend +- $150.

If the info I gave is not complete please ask because I'm a little lost in the big woods of this forum...

Sep 15, 2009 at 1:18 PM Post #2 of 14
Take a look at this website. If you feel you're competent at doing a little SMD work, then I'd suggest building a DAC (digital to analogue converter) first. The γ1 is a very good DAC for the price/size. I went from a γ1 to a CA DacMagic and the first noticeable difference is the DacMagic sounded a little congested. It's been a while since I had the γ1, but was a great little performer. Machined end panels are also available from the AMB shop. I can't remember exactly how much it is to build a γ1, but it shouldn't be more than $150.

Sep 15, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #3 of 14
if he were to build a y1, he'd have no more budget for an amp.

I would suggest he build a modest bantam DAC, and another ~$100 amp.

Starving Student Millet Hybrid is what I chose to build.
I definately recommend the project.

Sep 15, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #4 of 14
Definitely a BantamDAC (great quality, very low price). As far as the amp, it depends on what you're looking for. If you want something portable, a PIMETA or Mini3. For a desktop amp, a Starving Student Millet Hybrid or a PPA is probably appropriate.

Sep 15, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #5 of 14
I realised that he wouldn't have enough for an amplifier, but in the time it takes to prepare and build the γ1 you could wait until the next payday to get the funds to build an amplifier. If $150 is the absolute maximum you can stretch to in the next couple of months then (as mentioned above) go for the BantamDAC and Starving Student amplifier.

Sep 15, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #6 of 14
I vote for the Bantam. Then wait a little bit and add it to joneeboi's Carrie - USB powered Headphone Amp. Its a combination USB Dac and USB powered Mini^3 that fits into the Mini^3 case. It's being prototyped now. It will fit your budget with some left over and I am sure you won't be disappointed.

Sep 17, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #8 of 14
Ok enough suggestions
smily_headphones1.gif
(as I expected)!
the carrie looks very interesting imo! But I'm not really looking for something portable.

I don't mind building an amp or dac first for the $150 and wait till I have enough money to build something to follow up.

So concretely: wich one first? amp or dac.
and from the dacs? bantam, Y1 (looks very interesting), alien?
and from the amps? M3, SSMH, or something else?(keeping the HFI-680 and K701 in mind please)

edit: Is it possible to put components in one case? Or is that not a good option because of interference with all the components (amp, dac, powersupply)...?

Sep 17, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #9 of 14
Hmmm...
Difficult choice, I would say go for a y1, or better yet a y2. I am fairly sure a fully loaded y1 should just about hit the $150 mark you set. Anyway you can run an easy to drive (low impedance) set of HP through either the y1 or y2. Your HFI-680s are stated to be easy to drive.
To quote AMB from the y2 page: Quote:

470µF should be used if driving headphones directly. You may alternatively replace γ1's C24D and C25D with 470µF units and use that section to drive headphones

Sep 17, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #10 of 14
Thanks so far guys! I've looked at the y1 and it's a little above my head atm, because there are so much choises... I think the bantam wil fit my needs icw the carrie.it really sounds promising.

With the bantam in mind i've goto some budget left. Wich amp would fit the budget? The Starving student, M3 or something else?

Sep 20, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #11 of 14
someone who wants to give his thoughts about my last post?

Sep 20, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #12 of 14
How about aCavalli-Kan Kumisa III It's in your range, has gotten great reviews, I have a board but have yet to build, too many things going on right now.

Sep 21, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #13 of 14
That looks like a nice amp. Will this cost around the $100?

Sep 21, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #14 of 14
Pretty close if you can be creative with the casing. My mouser BOM is just shy of $40.00 and so is the total at AMBs parts store; with a transformer and shipping that's about right at $100.00. YMMV on the shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back