Got my Lavry DA10
Mar 3, 2006 at 7:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

nightfire

500+ Head-Fier
I just received my DA10.

I'm in awe.

This thing... rocks beyond belief. I can hear my very slight tinnitus in the blackness between notes. Never heard that before. And it's so razor sharp. This is how music is meant to sound.

At full volume I can detect NO noise whatsoever, even on my canalphones. Soundstage is solid. MP3s, even at ~224kbit+ VBR sound gruff and harsh.

I'm saying this coming from a TBAAM and H/K AVR75 (Burr/Brown), not a benchmark DAC1 or anything, so take it with a grain of salt.
biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2006 at 9:16 PM Post #2 of 10
glad you like it, can't wait until my cables come so i can order it
580smile.gif

Mar 3, 2006 at 11:38 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianS
glad you like it, can't wait until my cables come so i can order it
580smile.gif

*Love* it. It's funny... it seems to have more high end than any of my other dacs, but somehow it's smooth. It's a strange effect... On the one hand it's so detailed. Cymbals sound *real* on a good recording, like you're standing next to them (though quieter)... and yet fatigue is almost gone. Even with my ER4s with the foamies.

Dunno how they do it.

Mar 4, 2006 at 1:37 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Revliskciuq
I'm curious to know how it will sound after being maxed out with some mods.

I'm not too sure that mods will do much for it. There are very few electrolics on the DAC board, and the opamps are only used for DC-cancelling, not amplification, so the two most commny modded areas are pretty bare. The power supply is also rather odd, in that it is a switching power supply, which uses filters on the DAC board to further clean up the power. I suppose the power caps could be changed, but there is little room for larger ones.

Mar 4, 2006 at 6:31 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
I'm not too sure that mods will do much for it. There are very few electrolics on the DAC board, and the opamps are only used for DC-cancelling, not amplification, so the two most commny modded areas are pretty bare. The power supply is also rather odd, in that it is a switching power supply, which uses filters on the DAC board to further clean up the power. I suppose the power caps could be changed, but there is little room for larger ones.

I just received a demo Hagerman Tech Chime DAC
http://www.hagtech.com/chime.html

Its USB input seems to be malfunctioning, but via spdif, this thing is sounding very, very, VERY nice. Wish I had the Lavry to compare to.. Anybody near orange county have a Lavry (or any other interesting DAC) to bring over?

Mar 4, 2006 at 6:55 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by BradH
nightfire, in your opinion how does the DA10 internal headphone amp compare with your Gilmore Lite?

I actually haven't received my Gilmore yet, but it shipped Thursday. I'll pick up some XLR -> RCA adapters and try it out first thing when it arrives and let you know.

So far the Lavry's headphone amp is excellent.
eggosmile.gif

Mar 4, 2006 at 7:20 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by nightfire
MP3s, even at ~224kbit+ VBR sound gruff and harsh.

ugh... I guess some like it like that, not me
redface.gif

congrats on your purchase though
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 4, 2006 at 8:04 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikoLayer
ugh... I guess some like it like that, not me
redface.gif

congrats on your purchase though
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh hey don't get me wrong... MP3s sound infinitely better than on my TBAAM, it's just that lossless and 96/24 sound just that much better. Really this DAC gets out of your way, and lets you hear the source material in all its glory (or lack thereof).
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back