Got my hp-2 - Cable question and "burn-in" (whit pics)
Oct 22, 2007 at 2:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Clony

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, finally got my Grado Hp-2's and i was told that they were the no-name unsigned ones thats consider to be the 3. best out of the 3 cables the hp's came whit.

1st generation: UNSIGNED

2nd generation: Joesph Grado Signature Ultra-Wide Bandwidth Reference Cable

3rd generation: Grado Signature Laboratory Standard Audio Cable

What i got was not the UNSIGNED one but actually the 3rd generation Signature Laboratory Standard.

electrathecat wrote this in his in one of his posts:

I know many Headfiers assume the "Grado Signature Ultra-High Bandwidth Reference Cable" is the best, but that matter is debatable to say the least. I recommend those who are interested to ignore the hype and do the research. For example, here are some Head-fi quotes on this issue:

* Another thing, it seems that quite a few headfiers believe that the Signature Ultra-Wide Bandwidth Cable is the top of the line, when in fact the Signature Laboratory Standard Audio Cable seems to be the latest in the line. I suspect that quite a few people have misinterpreted the "Standard" label on the last cable.

* According to what Joe Grado told & sold to me this was the third cable made,I have it in my hand,which is new unused.So I got this from the horses mouth (Unless the horse fibbed, I have to take this as fact).

* It's highly debatable which was considered better. Joe Grado himself has switched out the UWBC for a standard cable and proclaimed it as an upgrade, and also vice versa. I have heard both versions and his standard cable version lends a more organic and musical sound. The differences are very slight but noticeable when you A/B.

* Grado HP-1000 Signature Series Signal Cord
------------------------------------------
1st generation: UNSIGNED
reviewed as: dark, bass firm, treble roll-off (reviewed in The Absolute Sound)

2nd generation: Joesph Grado Signature Ultra-Wide Bandwidth Reference Cable ->
reviewed as: light, bass subdued, treble extended (reviewed in comparison with the "unsigned" cable, The Absolute Sound)
notes: developed by Joe Grado as a response to the alleged treble roll-off of the unsigned cable and offered as an upgrade.

3rd generation: Grado Signature Laboratory Standard Audio Cable
reviewed as: Sufficient bass and extended highs in comparison with the earlier cables
notes: developed by Joe Grado through the accumulated experiences/responses of the two earlier cables to perform as neutral as possible.

I did extensive research before I bought these cans and concluded that, at the very least, the Signature Lab Standard Cable is no worse than the Ultra-High Bandwidth Reference cable, and may indeed be better (depending on your musical tastes). YMMV, of course, but don't dimiss a great headphone opportunity just because of a FOTM myth that may or may not be accurate!

[size=large]SO[/size] , is this right?
tongue.gif

What i also wonder is, i also got told that the hp's have not been used in MANY years, because he went over to speakers. Do the years of not being used destroy the drivers? makes them hard and not as good as they were new?

I'm going to take them for a 100 good burnin hours for to get the elements more "loose" and more dynamic as they may be stiffened up all these unused years.

ohh, and one more thing, the headphone jack connector has a way of corrosion or not that harsh, but they have fairly bad connection static to my amp, what can i do about this? take a light sand paper and so?

Thanks!
tongue.gif

Oct 22, 2007 at 3:58 PM Post #2 of 21
Welcome to the club, Clony. I would test the headphone jack with other equipment to make sure it's the jack and not your amp that is causing the static problem. There are some liquid cleaners that might be less harsh on your jack's metal finish. HP-series headphones are great regardless of the cable - I think you'll hear more differences by switching sources and amps.

I don't believe in a "burn-in" process. My recommendation is to listen to your headphones at a normal volume - burn-in is both a change in the driver/diaphragm's physical properties and a hearing adjustment.

Oct 22, 2007 at 4:16 PM Post #3 of 21
I took a very light sand paper and just went quickly over it and now it have its natural and shiny gold finish, so it was just a corrosive plug, and not my Headamp GS-1
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiWire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to the club, Clony. I would test the headphone jack with other equipment to make sure it's the jack and not your amp that is causing the static problem. There are some liquid cleaners that might be less harsh on your jack's metal finish. HP-series headphones are great regardless of the cable - I think you'll hear more differences by switching sources and amps.

Ok, I'll rather let them stay on whit normal listening when I'm at work and so. I'll thing they will give its natural sound within some days, but I LOVE them already after just one hour of listening. cant wait for them to really grow on me
basshead.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiWire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't believe in a "burn-in" process. My recommendation is to listen to your headphones at a normal volume - burn-in is both a change in the driver/diaphragm's physical properties and a hearing adjustment.

BTW is the HP'series a high gain can? I'm currently using my gs-1000 and rs-1 whit low gain on my Headamp gs-1 as its mostly low listening, but tried out the high gain and thought that they got more life this way. Have read some were that the hp's are gain needy.

Oct 22, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Killercrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're not gain needy, they want currrrrrrrrrrrrrrrent !!!!

Yeah, but the headamp gs-1 have more juice that my HPA-1 or RA-1, so it should do nicely with them then?

Oct 22, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #7 of 21
No comments, except for a big...

[size=large]Congratulations[/size]

I know you have been looking for a HP1000 in good condition a long time, and now you finally found one. Enjoy!
biggrin.gif

Oct 22, 2007 at 5:24 PM Post #9 of 21
Hehe, i will do that J-Pak, i have some pictures that the former owner took before shipping them, they are a little dusty but will get better pictures if needed
smily_headphones1.gif

1-1.jpg

3.jpg

and one of the amp! hehe..

2.jpg

Oct 22, 2007 at 5:38 PM Post #10 of 21
They look almost brand new. Very nice, I hope to own a pair one of these days.

Oct 22, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #12 of 21
hey finn,

glad you finally got a pair. how many more grado models are you going to get?
wink.gif

i think the GS-1 should be more than enough for the hp2. the only other suggestion might be to look into various tube amps to give you a slightly different sound...

Oct 22, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #13 of 21
Its fun to have different Grados to listen to
tongue.gif

I really want the HP-1 as well ass the sr100/200 and the PS-1, but i really need to go easy whit the money as i should get more music, and when my new Grado arm arrives in the mail in a few days, i should get more vinyls
wink.gif

Yup, i love the GS-1 and wonder how a balanced amp would sound if i'm going hp-2 balanced.

But for now, music is first priority..

Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey finn,

glad you finally got a pair. how many more grado models are you going to get?
wink.gif

i think the GS-1 should be more than enough for the hp2. the only other suggestion might be to look into various tube amps to give you a slightly different sound...

Oct 23, 2007 at 1:58 AM Post #15 of 21
I've got an amp that is running with gain 2, so I don't think a high gain is necessary. The Joe Grado cans are slightly less sensitive and higher resistance (40 ohms vs. 32 ohms) than the John Grado cans... the new Grados are more suitable for portable use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back