Got my HD800, love it. Don't want to sell HD650??
Sep 15, 2009 at 10:57 AM Post #16 of 34
The hd 650 has a lovely sweet silky smooth sound signature,you just fall in love with it.It's so nice to listen to the music through this headphone.

I own the hd 600,but i liked the 650 better when i tested it.I think it's a great headphone when you pair it with the right gear.

Sep 15, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #17 of 34
As much as I loved the HD-650, I let it go after getting the HD-800. The HD-800 got about 99% of the head time and the HD-650 would have just sat around in its box. It's better that someone else is enjoying it now.

I do miss having the HD-650 around (it is a terrific headphone) but I just wouldn't be listening to it.

Sep 15, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #18 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As much as I loved the HD-650, I let it go after getting the HD-800. The HD-800 got about 99% of the head time and the HD-650 would have just sat around in its box. It's better that someone else is enjoying it now.

I do miss having the HD-650 around (it is a terrific headphone) but I just wouldn't be listening to it.

Well, that's one thing I hate about having many cans.
I want to settle down with one great can so I don't have to switch between cans for certain type of music.[happened to me before - Sennheiser and Grado].

Seems like I cannot do that.
frown.gif

Sep 15, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #19 of 34
never heard the HD800, but after moving from super coloured cans like the RS1 and AH-D5000 (still own them) the HD650 sound very neutral and balanced to my ears.
that's why I think that I wouldn't like the HD800 so much...but I still would like to listen just because they are a high end can.

Sep 15, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #20 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by spur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, that's one thing I hate about having many cans.
I want to settle down with one great can so I don't have to switch between cans for certain type of music.[happened to me before - Sennheiser and Grado].

Seems like I cannot do that.
frown.gif

I don't think that there is such a headphone that can do everything perfect...
sure, you can find a can that will do almost everything just right, but it always have one genre that it will be weak at.
IMO ,owning 3 or even 4 cans at a time is Legitimate and necessery. more than that is also welcome, but is not neccesery and also expensive.

Sep 16, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #21 of 34
"owning 3 or even 4 cans at a time is Legitimate and necessery. more than that is also welcome, but is not neccesery and also expensive."

Er, could you repeat that?

Aug 31, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #23 of 34
ardilla, what equipment are you using with the HD-800? They can be finicky about what they're plugged into. There's also the possibility that the HD-800 isn't for you. That would be a shame since a lot of us love them, but you should stick with the headphones you enjoy most.

Aug 31, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #24 of 34

Quote:
ardilla, what equipment are you using with the HD-800? They can be finicky about what they're plugged into. There's also the possibility that the HD-800 isn't for you. That would be a shame since a lot of us love them, but you should stick with the headphones you enjoy most.

I agree with Uncle Erik.  Everyone has different taste.  But don't rush your judgement.  Taste can change, even after a few days.  I suggest you start with one phone and switch after a few minutes.  The next day start with the other phone and switch.  After a few days you should know your preference.  

Aug 31, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #25 of 34
I sold my HD650s right after my HD800s arrived and have never missed them or their clamp. I actually preferred the HD600s over the HD650s. But with the HD800s in house, there's just no going back for me.
biggrin.gif

Sep 1, 2010 at 12:08 AM Post #26 of 34
IMO, you shouldn't buy the HD800 if you don't have the ancillaries to match their quality. I preferred the HD650 over the HD800 with low-end sources/amps because they hid the flaws of the sound with their own signature, which the latter didn't do. Compared to the HD650, the HD800 improved significantly more after each upgrade in the chain. You're mainly paying for the increased transparency with the 800s, and that's not good when you have mediocre amps and DACs. If, even after addressing this, you don't like the 800s, then it's likely that their signature doesn't match your preferences.

Sep 1, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #27 of 34

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^ Glad to give my balanced HD650’s the arse, after owning the HD800’s. If I still had them they would just be gathering dust. I can’t possibly think of one thing they do better than the HD800’s - unless you like a muffled, bloaty bass, veiled midrange and a treble which is recessed
tongue.gif

BTW I enjoyed the time I had with the HD650’s, they are a great headphone for the price.

As I said, I don't care
popcorn.gif
to these ears, HD800 sounds like a band playing in the middle of a dessert and its final for me, but maybe you like it, which is good for you.

The Sennheiser Burning Man Experience!
dt880smile.png

Sep 1, 2010 at 5:07 AM Post #28 of 34

Quote:

Hi! I'm using a Naim Headline with a custom-made TeddyCap power-source fed by a Naim DAC. Read a long thorough and RAVING review where the setup was Naim Headline + HD800... so I thought it was a no-brainer. Maybe it's my ears. 

Any opinions on BURN-IN (specifically on the HD800 - the HD650 shure needed at least 50 hours)
- and "warmer, bassier CABLES" that could make the HD800 sound fuller?

Sep 1, 2010 at 5:10 AM Post #29 of 34

Quote:
Hi! I'm using a Naim Headline with a custom-made TeddyCap power-source fed by a Naim DAC. Read a long thorough and RAVING review where the setup was Naim Headline + HD800... so I thought it was a no-brainer. Maybe it's my ears. 

Any opinions on BURN-IN (specifically on the HD800 - the HD650 shure needed at least 50 hours)
- and "warmer, bassier CABLES" that could make the HD800 sound fuller?

IME, copper cables make the HD800 sound warmer and fuller. It's not a huge difference though.
I've noticed subtle changes from burning-in every new headphone/speaker I've used. It's usually complete within the first few hours though and anything after is just a product of psychacoustic adjustment.

Sep 1, 2010 at 5:50 AM Post #30 of 34
I can't add much to this thread, having never heard the HD800s. That said I too love the HD650s and their oh-so-musical presentation. I think sometimes striving for technical proficiency leads people to forget what this is actually all about, e.g. the musicality. Maybe the HD650s arn't the most neutral, but they have a lovely and unique sound signature which should be celibrated and is something that more manufacturers should aspire to replicate in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back