Got my HD800, love it. Don't want to sell HD650??
Sep 14, 2009 at 5:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

spur

New Head-Fier
I've just bought HD800. It's great and I love it.

Then I thought I should sell my 650 for cash. But after many intensive comparisons, I know HD800 is greater in every aspect, clarity, soundstage,vibration etc, I still like the sound signature of 650.
Dunno why? May be I like the narrow soundstage? or the coloring? or the veil?
perhaps its bass?

Anyone has that expereince?

Sep 14, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #2 of 34
I sold my HD650 after getting the HD800, but I regret it now. Although I found HD800 to be superior in most regards, HD650 was still sweeter and perhaps more musical to my ears...maybe it's due to the fact I was more used to the HD650 sound...anyways I miss the HD650.

Sep 14, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #3 of 34
That's the thing about upgrading headphone to more "technical" stuff. You lose something with the one you have. That's why we all have so many.

Also, as peanuthead stated, sometimes this forum is too uptight about technical merits which misses the fact that the musical or emotions a headphone brings is much more valuable in connecting to the music. That's why you should trust your own ears.

Sep 14, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #4 of 34
I still have my HD650. They will not go anywhere anytime soon. I think they are great, especially with the Zana. Getting the HD800 don't change that.

Sep 14, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #5 of 34
The HD650 fitted with hi end cables SE or Balanced is still worth keeping

Sep 14, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #7 of 34
The 650 is unique with its own personality. If you love it, well, you just love it!

Sep 14, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #8 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still have my HD650. They will not go anywhere anytime soon. I think they are great, especially with the Zana. Getting the HD800 don't change that.

Agree 100%. Will be keeping both with the Zana.

Sep 14, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #9 of 34
I agree with the merits of the HD650 and the fact that each headphone has it's own unique signature and I do think that's why there are so many headphones on the market...(just look at the Sennheiser line alone in it's sheer quantity)of presentation and easily I can see how it's possible to accumulate a headphone collection but sometimes one does need to eat and the line must be drawn...

...or does it?? After all, that is the joy in this hobby...there are an infinite number of combinations and factors and everyday I sit down and have the pleasure to experience my sense of hearing is a blessed day for me.

Sep 15, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #10 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by spur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've just bought HD800. It's great and I love it.

Then I thought I should sell my 650 for cash. But after many intensive comparisons, I know HD800 is greater in every aspect, clarity, soundstage,vibration etc, I still like the sound signature of 650.
Dunno why? May be I like the narrow soundstage? or the coloring? or the veil?
perhaps its bass?

Anyone has that expereince?

I have EXACTLY the same experience. HD800 has the best timbre I have ever heard, but it doesn't have the 'in-the-room' like reverb. To me, for example piano note ended too quickly then I expected make it sounds 'dry-er'. To me, it also make it sound like a speaker that is too small for the room because it doesn't have the 'right' 'room' decay. Some says it is 'dead silence between notes'. There's similar discussion here also about what I heard http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/got...0/index10.html

Some will say, this is the more 'correct' presentation of music, I don't care
smily_headphones1.gif
I like what I like to hear, they may not like HD650 either and it's fine

I tried to explain to myself too, why technically, sound wise, 800 is MUCH more natural, but I like 650 more, finally I find an explanation for myself, I'm happy with my explanation and never look back. Now ready to scrutinize T1 when it become available
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 15, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #11 of 34
^^ Glad to give my balanced HD650’s the arse, after owning the HD800’s. If I still had them they would just be gathering dust. I can’t possibly think of one thing they do better than the HD800’s - unless you like a muffled, bloaty bass, veiled midrange and a treble which is recessed
tongue.gif

BTW I enjoyed the time I had with the HD650’s, they are a great headphone for the price.

Sep 15, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #12 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^ Glad to give my balanced HD650’s the arse, after owning the HD800’s. If I still had them they would just be gathering dust. I can’t possibly think of one thing they do better than the HD800’s - unless you like a muffled, bloaty bass, veiled midrange and a treble which is recessed
tongue.gif

BTW I enjoyed the time I had with the HD650’s, they are a great headphone for the price.

Well put sentiments. To me, after getting the hd800s and comparing them to the HD650, the 650s gave a great deal of artificial flavoring. But, some like that but I decided to, as you so eloquently put it, gave them the "arse".

Sep 15, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #13 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tongue.gif

As I said, I don't care
popcorn.gif
to these ears, HD800 sounds like a band playing in the middle of a dessert and its final for me, but maybe you like it, which is good for you.

Sep 15, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #14 of 34
Technical superiority is good, but how the actual headphones sound to your ears is what ultimately matters. You might as well keep them if you enjoy them that much rather than regret selling them and wasting money buying another pair down the line.

Sep 15, 2009 at 7:17 AM Post #15 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sometimes this forum is too uptight about technical merits which misses the fact that the musical or emotions a headphone brings is much more valuable in connecting to the music. That's why you should trust your own ears.

very true. i just picked up a lambda and i think it is superior to the HD650 as well, but there's just something about the HD650 that's just special. the musicality and just the way it expresses the emotion in the music, it does it the best.

i was for sure going to sell the HD650, but now i am having second thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back