Got my HD600s today!
Apr 8, 2002 at 9:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Multi

100+ Head-Fier
Thanks Jan!

I got them today and they are on my head as I type. They look great. They DO feel like they're pinching my head though, I guess I'll fit in a book between the cups while I'm not listening to them and burning-in.

If anyone remembers, I'm ampless right now, so I'm listening through my sound card, no amp, no burn-in. Although it's certainly better than my no name old headphones, it does seem a little...shrill? I don't know how to explain it. Hopefully this sound will melt away with burn-in or an amp...

Nonetheless I'm happy.

Apr 8, 2002 at 9:48 PM Post #2 of 16
Quote:

They DO feel like they're pinching my head though, I guess I'll fit in a book between the cups while I'm not listening to them and burning-in.

Excellent idea.

Quote:

Although it's certainly better than my no name old headphones, it does seem a little...shrill?

Unfortunately, Senns & Etys are the worst headphones I've heard to use with a sound card, even with an amp
frown.gif
. That shrill and thin sound follows you around...

I'd strongly consider investing in a pair of Koss KSC-35s, or a Grado SR-60, or, if you really want to use the HD600s with the computer, be sure to get a warm-sounding tube amp like the MG-Head.

Apr 8, 2002 at 9:56 PM Post #3 of 16
Exellent choice in cans.
smily_headphones1.gif
Save up some money for an amp, spend as little or as much as you want. My two recommendations for starter amps:
tight budget - jmt cha-47 with dual 9v power input and 470uf caps
kick ass - antique sound lab mg head

Apr 9, 2002 at 5:51 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
Exellent choice in cans.
smily_headphones1.gif
Save up some money for an amp, spend as little or as much as you want. My two recommendations for starter amps:

The CHA-47? What's wrong w/ the CMOY? and I've been trying to talk to JMT but it's hard to get a dialogue going.

I've been readingly on the boards that the Mg Head is "slow"? Is this true?

Apr 9, 2002 at 6:10 AM Post #6 of 16
Try looking into something like the Xitel Hifi Link, and have your amp hooked up to it. I tried this setup and managed to get rid of about 75% of the shrill you mentioned.

Apr 9, 2002 at 7:10 AM Post #7 of 16
Audio&Me:

How good does the HD600 sound with the JMT CHA47? Do you get a good taste of head-fi heaven, or does the HD600 really need a high-end amp work well?

From the impression I get from Head-fi, it sounds like the HD600 is quite poor without an amp; and the most minimal entry level amp for it would be the US$200 Total Airhead.

Apr 9, 2002 at 10:43 AM Post #8 of 16
Well, compared (unfairly) to the MG Head, the CHA-47 actually sounds rather compressed, and lacks refinement. But it's certainly a few steps up from straight out of a source (my Pioneer receiver puts out more power, but doesn't sound nearly as good as the CHA-47, but I thought that it did this Saturday cause I was really sick and didn't know my ears were all clogged up, hehe).
The HD600 isn't poor with anything, can make even cruddy associated equipment sound better.
biggrin.gif
However, they scale, as in the better you equipment you use with it, the better they sound. They're not going to magically make a weaker source sound hi-fi per se, like how some easier driven ones give you a pseudo perception that it sounds much better, but they are a worthwhile buy, unless you plan on never getting a decent amp for them (*hint Antique Sound Lab MG Head OTL From HeadRoom
tongue.gif
)

Multi, I've not heard the CMOY, but I'm under the impression that it's the same thing just with the added bonus of crossfeed. gloco and a few others have told me that they love their cmoys.

Apr 9, 2002 at 8:59 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
Exellent choice in cans.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hey Audio & Me, do you think that the sony D-25S would be an ok source for the mg head dt otl? Or would it be like a travesty towards this amp? I am thinking of getting it as a first step towards a home system. After this amp would come a new home source and probably the senn hd 600s.

Apr 9, 2002 at 9:35 PM Post #10 of 16
IMHO, yes I think using the D-25S as a source for the mg head would be silly.
biggrin.gif
I didn't give it much chance, but it was certainly not in favor for my tastes. Your roadmap seems good, I think that once you have a decent amp, the source makes a tremendous impact on your system, after the output device of course.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 9, 2002 at 9:43 PM Post #11 of 16
SO should I get the mg head to use with d-25s or should I just wait to buy a new cdp?

Apr 9, 2002 at 9:53 PM Post #12 of 16
It would be better to save up and get both MG Head and good source at the same time. But it wouldn't hurt to try the mg head out early, if you don't like it, you could try the Corda.
smily_headphones1.gif
Fair warning from driftwood who DOES like the D-25S, the source will limit your results, by a lot.

Apr 9, 2002 at 10:18 PM Post #13 of 16
My Dad has a Marantz pmd 350 cassette and cd player dual deck lying around that he doesn't really use. Do you think that would make an ok source?

Apr 9, 2002 at 10:39 PM Post #14 of 16
I have not tried a tape deck with the MG Head. My guess is, if the internal components are clean, and output is smooth, there could be really nice synergy.
smily_headphones1.gif
A good recording with at least type II (high bias) cassettes always helps too.

Apr 9, 2002 at 11:19 PM Post #15 of 16
I guess it would be interesting to try tapes out with the the amp, but I was thinking that I would use the cd transport as well. All I need to connect everything up is standard audio interconnects right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back