Got my first set of AKGs
Mar 11, 2006 at 9:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

vpivinylspinner

1000+ Head-Fier
Well since I joined this site in January I have gone from a seldom used set of Grado SR-60s and my daily use Shure E3c to Cardas Cabled Sennheiser HD-650, Beyerdynamic DT-880, Grado SR-225, Headamp Gilmore Dynamic SE/V2, Meier Corda Aria and now AKG 340. I picked these up this afternoon from a Craigslist ad for $40.00. They are in practically unused condition with all lettering intact and pads in great condition. The sound is excellent with less bass than the Sennheisers but a bit livelier sound. Now I need to see if I can change my Headphile order to add some arms to my headphone stand.
580smile.gif

AKG.jpg

Mar 11, 2006 at 9:54 PM Post #3 of 19
OMG!!! $40.00!!! They look pristine! A screen modd and recable will give you a reference set of headphones not to be believed! They're good stock, but the modds take them to a whole new realm. I really like the BlackMax cable Larry uses, and Philodox says his BlackGold cables have a real synergy with the K340's. Larry uses a fabric screen material now in front of the electret that really opens things up. Welcome to the K340 club, and congrats on your amazing find!
340smile.gif

Mar 11, 2006 at 10:08 PM Post #4 of 19
They are physically spotless. They sure are heavy compared to my other sets. The DT-880s feel like I am wearing nothing while the Sennheiser is light but clamps tightly. These AKG tend to hang a little low. I think maybe the elastic bands should be replaced. I will definitely look into a recabling as they cables are to short for my current setup.

Mar 11, 2006 at 10:15 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by vpivinylspinner
Well since I joined this site in January I have gone from a seldom used set of Grado SR-60s and my daily use Shure E3c to Cardas Cabled Sennheiser HD-650, Beyerdynamic DT-880, Grado SR-225, Headamp Gilmore Dynamic SE/V2, Meier Corda Aria and now AKG 340. I picked these up this afternoon from a Craigslist ad for $40.00. They are in practically unused condition with all lettering intact and pads in great condition. The sound is excellent with less bass than the Sennheisers but a bit livelier sound. Now I need to see if I can change my Headphile order to add some arms to my headphone stand.
580smile.gif

AKG.jpg

Looks like you got an INCREDIBLE deal on the AKGs...they look really mint from where I'm sittting.

Mar 11, 2006 at 10:43 PM Post #6 of 19
vpivinylspinner said:
These AKG tend to hang a little low. I think maybe the elastic bands should be replaced.

Most have good luck with elastic hair bands. It's a pretty easy job. I believe someone detailed it on here, you might do a search. Mine were pretty loose after 20 years of use, but Larry put new bands in when he recabled and rescreened them for me. With new bands they feel quite comfy even though they are heavy.

Mar 11, 2006 at 10:58 PM Post #7 of 19
[size=xx-large]$40 !!!!![/size]
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Deal of the year right there folks.
Last pair I saw on ebay went for around $250.
I saw one with a ripped headband go for $150.

Garrett

Mar 11, 2006 at 11:38 PM Post #8 of 19
Yeah you have to love NYC Craigslist. I have gotten some amazing deals off the list.

Mar 11, 2006 at 11:47 PM Post #10 of 19
Well CL works for large markets like NYC.
biggrin.gif
I've got some interesting deals from there also. I don't think I need another AKG headphone though although that was a super deal.

Mar 11, 2006 at 11:52 PM Post #11 of 19
$40!!!!!
Holy effin' fecal matter! THAT IS AN ASTOUNDING DEAL!!! A full $300 less than what I spent for my pair! This is about as good of a deal as that one guy on Audiogon that bought the HP-2's for $150 or whatever it is. ARGH!!!!!!

Mar 12, 2006 at 12:11 AM Post #13 of 19
eek.gif

I'll give you $80 for them. Nice find and score dude.

Mar 17, 2006 at 3:37 PM Post #15 of 19
Wow, great deal on the K340's. Even my first pair [which was bought before the price started going up] cost me $120. Not the best deal I have heard of on the K340's though, there is a guy on here from Palestine who picked them up for ~$20 at a garage sale. Though I don't think they were in such immaculate condition.
340smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back