Got my DMX 6-Fire, now I need some phones!
Oct 16, 2002 at 3:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

DarkWolf

500+ Head-Fier
Ok, so like the title says, I finaly got my Terratec DMX 6-Fire. It's very nice, even MP3 sounds good with this card, which is very nice since that's mostly what I listen to. Anyway, I really want some nice headhones. They should be able to work well with no amplification beyond what the 6-Fire's onboard jack can produce. I'm not sure what its specs are, I couldn't find them anywhere. All I know is that it can push my current crappy headphones pretty damn loud.

So, my budget for phones is around $250. I want comfortable phones that go around my whole ear. As far as comfort goes Sennhieser is the best I know of and I'm really happy with the way they fit, though I've only tried on one pair, but they were bigger ones, so it's ok. For sound, which is more important, I listen to a wide variety of music. I'd lean more towards rocking ability than smooth falling asleep ability though. But I really want something fairly nuteral and detailed that's good at everything but more importantly, bad at nothing. Sound stage and positioning are important too, I'll be using these for some gamming (not an awful lot though, mostly music) and I really like having a good sound stage. Instrument reproduction is important too, and the 6-Fire really does a good job with that, so I'm quite pleased with that. Also, I'm leaning toward open ear desighns, since I want to be able to hear what's going on around me. I don't want to end up shouting or not hearing when people or around. Or having people sneak up on me.. Or the phone ring.. Anyway, most of the noise I hear isn't noise I'd want to block out..

So, here are my current thoughts. I can get B stock HD 600's for $240, which seems pretty sweet, but they'll likely need an amp and that'll be way too much. The HD 590's look very good though, almost the same specs and a lot less power needed to drive them. Plus they look cooler. Someone here said they were better in some ways, so I'd like to hear more. If they are as good as they look from the specs they might fit the bill perfectly. The grado's look pretty good too. My concern is that each one seems to have it's own set of ups and downs, where I need a more general headphone that can do everything I want. Plus they don't look as comfortable as the Senn's. They have 1/4" plugs though and that's cool becuase that's what's on my card. Not a big deal though. I notice that all of the sonnys have very low power useage, which would be a big plus for them, but I don't know which ones are good and which ones aren't. I've heard a lot about lots of things, but these are the main ones/things I remember. Since I'm not an expert, giving maker names along with model numbers will help. Thanks a lot to all who can help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back