Got my $99 Athena AS-B1s hooked up to the T-amp
Jul 22, 2005 at 1:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

bundee1

Headphoneus Supremus
I just got my Athena AS-B1s from Audioadvisor.com. Right now heres the signal chain:

Apple Itunes>>Chaintech AV-710>>Monster Ilink mini to RCA IC>>T-AMPw/Batterymart SLA>>AR16gauge speaker cable>>Athena AS-B1.

Ive actually got them wedged into my Ikea bookshelves with the volume at 11 o'clock. Sound is actually pretty good and quite revealing. I had to turn it up that loud to get good impact from the sound. I wont go any louder for fear of clipping. Its loud enough to be heard over my rattling super loud A/C.
Not a bad system for $160 (cables included).

Its loud enough to fill my 10'x16' bedroom with sound. The bass in the bookshelves is gooood. With Thriller it sounded hard but that album is bright. Like I said its revealing.

I copied this from the poll post about computer speakers. I figured somebody might want to see this.

Jul 22, 2005 at 3:53 AM Post #3 of 18
These are the smaller woofers. Yeah the highs are kind of thin but smooth. It has a slightly artificial sound but its fun and beats the pants off of my stock dell computer speakers and my bro in laws Creative 2.1 set. Its hanging in there pumping some old school/early '90s hip hop.

Jul 22, 2005 at 4:57 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by bundee1
These are the smaller woofers. Yeah the highs are kind of thin but smooth. It has a slightly artificial sound but its fun and beats the pants off of my stock dell computer speakers and my bro in laws Creative 2.1 set. Its hanging in there pumping some old school/early '90s hip hop.

Haha, I Can imagine how great they sound compared to the PC speakers, haha. Cool, but don't blow out the woofers!!

Jul 22, 2005 at 5:29 AM Post #5 of 18
glad that you like them! i think im gonna go for the same combo, but with different cables. where did you get t-amp? ecost? also, can you please tell me all cables that i need to run that combo. it will be AV710-> T-Amp-> AS-B1
Thanks!

Jul 22, 2005 at 5:40 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy
Let the speakers and the amp break in....maybe they may improve further.

In my experience, T-amp break-in is the most obvious I have in a speaker amplifier. On my unit this seemed to have occured in the first 50 hrs. Speaker break-in is of course a real and obvious phenomena--may require even longer.

Jul 22, 2005 at 2:32 PM Post #8 of 18
cable question first.

monster mini to stereo rca (make sure to get a shielded one though) about $20

cheap speaker cables from Best Buy 16 gauge is probably the largest you can fit in the lousy spring clips unless you attach small pins.

When you order the battery from batteymart make sure you get the more powerful 1000ma charger to charge it faster. From the charger there should be a wire with two ends (+) (-) that screw to the charger and the other ends have spring clips in red (+) and black (-) that clip to the battery to charge. This is for the charging. I think I posted a picture in the DIYforums.
The other wire has one end with a plug that goes into the t-amp and the other end has two wire that attach to the battery.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...threadid=50870

search through here to find out if the inside of the plug is positive or negative. If you reverse them youll fry the amp.

I bought mine used from someone on Audiuocircle.com. $40 for battery, charger, wires and 1/8 to stereo minijack adaptor.

Jul 22, 2005 at 9:06 PM Post #9 of 18
can i just use a regular wallwart?? i dont care if sound will be worse.

Jul 22, 2005 at 9:19 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker
can i just use a regular wallwart?? i dont care if sound will be worse.

A 2A, 12V wall wart will be fine, not switching type. Sound quality is only affected a little.

Jul 22, 2005 at 10:14 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferbose
A 2A, 12V wall wart will be fine, not switching type. Sound quality is only affected a little.

thanks a lot. would this one be good enough
wall.jpg

and what are the cheapest cables that i can get? i been told that some cables from home depot... but i hvae no clue.

sorry man for hijacking your thread but you have same setup as i want to get so you can help me out the most
cool.gif

Jul 24, 2005 at 1:52 PM Post #13 of 18
just be careful about the polarity on the jack going into the T-amp. Im not sure exactly which is which but if you put in the wrong end, youll fry the amp.

Jul 24, 2005 at 7:47 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by bundee1
Its hanging in there pumping some old school/early '90s hip hop.

How does rap hold up with these speakers. Im looking at getting some and i listen to alot of old school hip hop and hip hop in general. and i would like to knwo how these sound with that kinda music

Users who are viewing this thread

Back