Got my 2move in and I need help... Please...
Jul 3, 2008 at 5:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

dr13zehn

100+ Head-Fier
I have a Cowon D2 and use Ety ER4-P with S adapter. I decided I wanted a portable amp to get some more out of this setup (which I really enjoyed and still do).

I chose the Corda 2Move and was really excited when it came in.
However, after I plugged it in, I could not hear a difference... At all! I figured that my ears were simply not trained enough since I'm still a noob at this, so I asked my GF (who is a musician) to test it out for me. I did not tell her what the Etys were plugged into and kept going back and forth between no amp and with amp.
She could also not hear a difference.

Did I just make a bad choice of amp for my setup, or is there maybe something wrong with my 2Move?
I have read reviews about the amp that were rave, and it does sound very good, just that it sounds exactly the same as without (unless I turn on crossfeed of course).

Some might say that it needs to burn in, but I did run 12 hours of pink noise through it and about 10 hours of random music on top of actually listening to it for several hours. I know that isn't burnt in, per se, but it should help a bit. Plus I would think that there'd be at least some difference without a burn in.

Any thoughts or tips are greatly appreciated. I am thinking of just returning it and exchange it for something else.

Thanks,

Jul 3, 2008 at 1:40 PM Post #3 of 9
Wow, must be a better amp than i thought. Wire with gain.
I guess the amp is more neutral than you wanted?
Borrow someone elses amp and see if their amp makes a difference.
Maybe your IEMs are that easy to drive, and simply dont require an amp? Try another set of headphones .

Jul 3, 2008 at 1:56 PM Post #4 of 9
Try these in order:

1. Make sure your sources are... FLAC, APE, "192+ kbps" mp3's (should really go for 256kbps+ with good IEMs), or even WAV which I see your player supports.

2. Turn off any extra audio processing at first. That means all those sound options, save for EQ but I would try without it too and if I am using it I wouldn't overdo it.

3. I don't know what an S-adapter is, but if you still don't hear a difference perhaps the adapter is your bottleneck; try to avoid using it if you can, or if you're this far in you might as well try a higher-quality cable.

4. It could just be that you won't hear a difference with these headphones.. Your IEMs have 27ohms impedance, whereas your player can easily drive up to 100ohms. It's an excellent music player to begin with.

Jul 3, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #5 of 9
I think it's time you got full-size headphones...

you'll immediately notice the stronger bass/tighter bass...

well that's what I heard when I tested the 2move with my sr80

... stronger bass impact .... which you won't feel out of iems

Jul 3, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #6 of 9
Hi, I'm a noob too.
I have the same amp and its hard to find a difference to my iPhone or PC with my SE530 BUT with the HD650 the SQ difference is huge.
Your IEMs just already work very well without an amp.
I'm pretty sure your amp is fine, only the benefit is too small.

Jul 3, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #7 of 9
Thanks for all the helpful replies.

I have a pair of HFI780s in the mail, so I will check out what kind of difference it will make with them.
The link was helpful, but there's still no difference in SQ and most of my mp3s are 320kbps some files are FLAC.
The S adapter is simply an impedance adapter used often by ER-4P owners to get the 'phones up to ER-4S specs. Not using the adapter makes no difference, there still is no SQ difference between amped and not.

If I still am not satisfied with them when I get my HFI780 cans, I was curious about the TTVJ Millett Hybrid Amp. It seems very interesting. Does anyone have any experience with that one? (I may get it whether I keep the 2Move or not, heh)

Again, thanks for all the input!

Jul 3, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #8 of 9
Ok, well, yes, the amp will require a bit longer burn-in time before the results become apparent. My little old HeadRoom Total AirHead took like 150 hours before I could tell it was doing anything at all, even with the crossfeed on or off, and I thought the same as you. I figured I'd just wasted some money. After that amount of time, it became readily apparent with my Etys what it was doing - soundstage grew, more control to the bass, and more sparkle to the highs. Suddenly I realized I couldn't do without it!

Taso - the S adaptor takes the Ety ER-4P (27 ohm) and converts it to an ER-4S (100 ohm). It's just an impedance adaptor, having an inline resistor. It makes a huge improvement to the phone when driven with an amp. The P has a slightly curved frequency response, with more at the ends (lower lows and higher highs), but the S is much more flat and neutral.

Jul 31, 2008 at 11:20 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by dr13zehn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for all the helpful replies.

I have a pair of HFI780s in the mail, so I will check out what kind of difference it will make with them.
The link was helpful, but there's still no difference in SQ and most of my mp3s are 320kbps some files are FLAC.
The S adapter is simply an impedance adapter used often by ER-4P owners to get the 'phones up to ER-4S specs. Not using the adapter makes no difference, there still is no SQ difference between amped and not.

If I still am not satisfied with them when I get my HFI780 cans, I was curious about the TTVJ Millett Hybrid Amp. It seems very interesting. Does anyone have any experience with that one? (I may get it whether I keep the 2Move or not, heh)

Again, thanks for all the input!

I have the ER-4P and the S adapter, and I find that the 2Move doesn't really do anything for me.
With my SR-225 I am quite impressed, though. I think that I just dislike the Ety sound. Boring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back