Got macbook--sound leaves much to be desired
Jan 30, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #16 of 28
I spent some more time with my e500s straight out of the headphone jack last night. Perhaps I should edit my first post that makes it sound like the macbook sounds like crap. I was just comparing it to my nano Tomahawk rig. And I do prefer the sound of the latter to my macbook.

Honestly, what I think it is also a factor is the difference in sound signatures between my macbook and nano is throwing me off. The nano sounds warmer, the macbook more analytical. People who own both have mentioned that the latest harddrive ipod sounds different from the nano. And I mean that the ipod is actually a sharper, more accurate sound. It's just that--to MY ears--the warm sound of a nano and e500s sounds pleasing: I like a warm sound. Remember that iems can't keep up with full sized headphones when it comes to warmness. So I will experiment with the itunes eq a bit and also get a mini to mini able so I can use my beloved Tomahawk. Or maybe a grab a pair of full sized headphones in the future to give me some warmness and more bass out of my macbook.

Anyway, much thanks to all that have given tips. I will keep all the options in my mind. Cheers!

Jan 31, 2007 at 5:39 PM Post #18 of 28
It's not a portable solution, but any optical DAC will work with a MBP if you have a mini-TOS end adapter:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple, Inc
Combined optical digital audio output/headphone out (minijack)

Feb 1, 2007 at 6:00 AM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4metta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are separate jacks for each. One headphone, one digital.

No. The same jack is used for both. You use an optical cable with a mini plug adapter on the end plugged into the headphone jack for the digital out.

This is the cable at the Apple Store that you need to use the digital out...
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL....8.25.7.11.1.3

See ya
Steve

Feb 1, 2007 at 6:45 AM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No. The same jack is used for both. You use an optical cable with a mini plug adapter on the end plugged into the headphone jack for the digital out.

See ya
Steve

You're right!! Just realized the other jack is for input not output.

Thank you for the link! That is not expensive at all.
cool.gif

Feb 1, 2007 at 7:54 AM Post #21 of 28
I use my Macbook as my main source in my A/V setup at home. The sound quality through the digital out is great. It's bit perfect- I can resolve DTS and Dolby 5:1 through my amp. The headphone out is basically for casual portable listening. It sounds good with my Sennheiser PX-100s.

See ya
Steve

Feb 1, 2007 at 12:22 PM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

I couldn't get the Apple Store link to work (session timed out).

This cable and mini adapter work fine with my macbook gear. Runs less than $6 before shipping from Parts Express.

Feb 2, 2007 at 5:55 AM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

The headphone out is basically for casual portable listening. It sounds good with my Sennheiser PX-100s.

See ya
Steve

Yes I think that it's very important to remember that. I was unfair to compare the sound of my headphone jack straight out of my macbook to my nano and Tomahawk rig. The macbook's headphone jack definitely sounds better than the headphone jack from my Nano by itself or my brother's gaming Dell tower's headphone jack.

I am happy to say that I have been trying the headphone jack with my Ultrasone HFI-15Gs and it's definitely much more enjoyable than with my e500s. Tons of warmth and enough bass to make your ears throb. (I recommend these very comfy babies to all bassheads out there!) This will definitely do for now at home. Isn't it great when you find a perfect synergy between a source and headphones? Just wouldn't want to take these totally open air headphones on a flight or library and annoy everybody.

Feb 2, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #25 of 28
4-metta, i would definatly put a dac and an amp between your comp and your headphones, i use a total bit head, but am having problems with usb connections, so i also plan on useing a micro stack with the optical connection.

just for curiosity i just put my e500's strait to the comp, and yes that's pretty aweful, you know what the doc says if it hurts don't do it.

Mar 18, 2007 at 3:24 PM Post #26 of 28
Slightly off-topic, but I have a question about using my MBP for djing at a wedding reception. Will the output from the headphone jack be sufficient for this purpose, or do I need something else (like a toslink adapter)? I'm completely ignorant in this matter, so I'd be very grateful for any advice.

Mar 19, 2007 at 2:53 PM Post #27 of 28
It depends on what sort of patch goes into the sound board of the PA system.

If you plan to use your computer, better bring some sort of back up system you can swap in if it crashes. No one likes it when the music stops.

See ya
Steve

Mar 22, 2007 at 11:29 PM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4metta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps I should edit my first post that makes it sound like the macbook sounds like crap.

Not to my ears. MB's audio far better than any notebooks I had in the past. Even unamped. Resolution is OK, the top is flatish (which I like) and bass is just right. And I'm still a Mac-basher

The piercing heights of iPod+IEM could spoil your ears fast...
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back