GOT IT! the Little-known Beyer DT150s.
Jul 13, 2008 at 1:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

Wil

1000+ Head-Fier
They are built like a frigging tank. Thanks to Wilson (Jaben ) for a sweet, sweet deal that i couldn't resist.

Burning in now, but out of the box they already sound very, very good.

Using it with my tube rolled Cayin HA1A and they are extremely lush and detailed , with a surprisingly wide soundstage for closed cans. Bass is deep and has lots of impact. The highs are alittle strident at the moment, but i do expect them to burn in nicely.

Listening to Dave's True Story now and the guitars have extremely good timbre. Details aplenty. Quite an engaging listen i must say. Displaying their studio pedigree, the DT150s reveal nuances in the recording that i haven't heard before ( or rather, were not as apparent.)

Shall report back with pictures and more impressions as it burns in!

Jul 13, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #2 of 41
Congratz and enjoy them! They are a great pair of phones. And with good amping they sound sooooo nice...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 13, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #4 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by malldian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not seeing them on Jaben's site?

It's in the physical store :)

Jul 13, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #6 of 41
You could always drop them an email Malldian!

Still listening to them and boy do they sound good. THE PIANO SOUNDS AMAZING. Its an amazingly coherent phone that is as musical as it is nuanced and detailed. I've never heard piano sound this good on any can before ( and i've heard quite a few, mind you. )

Hi-hats are lovely. airy,delicate and light. i don't remember my old DT880s sounding this lovely.

I promise i'll write a proper review once it gets burnt in!

Jul 13, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #7 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could always drop them an email Malldian!

Still listening to them and boy do they sound good. THE PIANO SOUNDS AMAZING. Its an amazingly coherent phone that is as musical as it is nuanced and detailed. I've never heard piano sound this good on any can before ( and i've heard quite a few, mind you. )

Hi-hats are lovely. airy,delicate and light. i don't remember my old DT880s sounding this lovely.

I promise i'll write a proper review once it gets burnt in!

That's how Beyer's DT48 sounds to me... might have to pick up a DT150 for comparison. Am looking forward to your comments!

Jul 13, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #9 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ice Nine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're in the US try B&H Photo. I got mine there for a fair price. Aside from the ugly factor, these are criminally underrated headphones.

Agreed. One of the most underrated cans EVER. It's got something special these things. Call them ugly, but i think they look deliciously retro and utilitarian haha.

Jul 13, 2008 at 7:34 PM Post #10 of 41
Maybe they are so unknown because almost nobody can be bothered to try such an ugly can...they aren't exactly cheap though, even not in Old Europe.

Jul 14, 2008 at 7:39 AM Post #12 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, these are the headphones that make me don't understand people buying DT770's.
smily_headphones1.gif

Indeed, clearly superior over the DT770.

Clearly.

Jul 14, 2008 at 9:29 AM Post #14 of 41
In Australia the DT150 and DT250 retail at close to the same price. The DT250 gets a fair bit of praise, so that begs the question-
Is the DT150 a better closed Fon than the DT250?
I've not heard either, but my curiosity is aroused. Anyone who has heard both got an opinion?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back