Got any good Post/Sludge Metal?
Aug 17, 2008 at 2:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 60

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Posts
3,087
Likes
15
Own every ISIS album; love em.
Have "The Fire..." by Pelican-not feelin it.

Looking for the epic artists; the must haves of the genre.

Recs?
 
Aug 17, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #2 of 60

synaesthetic

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 5, 2008
Posts
2,263
Likes
11
Pelican - Australasia
Rosetta - wake/lift
Battle of Mice - A Day of Nights
Russian Circles - Enter
Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn
Callisto - Noir
Callisto - True Nature Unfolds
Cult of Luna - Salvation
Cult of Luna - Eternal Kingdom
Cult of Luna - The Beyond
Year of No Light - Nord
Baroness - Red Album
Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain

And anything by Neurosis.
 
Aug 17, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #3 of 60

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Posts
3,087
Likes
15
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pelican - Australasia
Rosetta - wake/lift
Battle of Mice - A Day of Nights
Russian Circles - Enter
Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn
Callisto - Noir
Callisto - True Nature Unfolds
Cult of Luna - Salvation
Cult of Luna - Eternal Kingdom
Cult of Luna - The Beyond
Year of No Light - Nord
Baroness - Red Album
Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain

And anything by Neurosis.



Wow-thanks.
What should I get first?
 
Aug 17, 2008 at 7:03 AM Post #5 of 60

monolith

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 15, 2007
Posts
2,024
Likes
11
Oh man. This is my specialty.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow-thanks.
What should I get first?



Depends:
- "At the Soundless Dawn" is more of a post-rock album in the vein of Do Make Say Think. A glorious album, one of my desert island picks.
- Baroness' "Red Album" is really catchy, so if you want to be immediately satisfied, get that.
- "Australasia" is one of the most essential albums of the genre. I'd probably take that as #3 most important after Isis' "Oceanic" and Neurosis' "Through Silver in Blood". Pelican make some of the best written stuff in this style. The song "Drought" from this album is unbelievable.
- Russian Circles' "Enter" is very well constructed and satisfying to listen to, one of my favourites as well.
- Cult of Luna are a very consistent and excellent band. "Salvation" is probably my favourite album of theirs, but you can't go wrong with anything. Their album from last year "Somewhere Along the Highway" had some great material on it too, including what might be my favourite single song of theirs.

Overall, "Through Silver in Blood" by Neurosis is probably the most important album of the genre, so if you don't have that, get it. Anyway...



5ive is a good band to check out. All their stuff is good, and their 2008 album "Hesperus" is probably going to be the overall album of the year.

I'll try to stay away from things as obvious as Pelican and Neurosis for my recs though. You should get everything by those two bands at least.

Other things you can't miss:

5ive - Hesperus, self titled, The Telestic Disfracture
Tides - Resurface
Capricorns - Ruder Forms Survive
Bossk - .1, .2 (I think they've been released as one thing, so try to find that)
Deadbird - The Head and the Heart
Shora - Malval (closer to post rock, but still notable)
Disappearer - Disappearer (just an EP, but fantastically good)
Torche - Meanderthal
Ufomammut - Snailking (or anything else, they're amazing)
Morkobot - Mostro
Lent0 - Earthen
Mouth of the Architect - The Ties that Blind (I think they're rather mediocre, but they have lots of big fans)
Minsk - The Ritual Fires of Abandonment
Made out of Babies - The Ruiner

Those'll tide you over.


If you want straight sludge or sludge/doom, there's lots more I can give you. A lot of excellent stuff borders between post-stuff and sludge (Rwake, for example), and I don't know what tolerance for sludge vocals and such you have.
 
Aug 17, 2008 at 8:51 AM Post #6 of 60

synaesthetic

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 5, 2008
Posts
2,263
Likes
11
"Drought" is incredible. It's crushingly heavy. It's one of my most-listened-to songs ever.

Cult of Luna's newest album, Eternal Kingdom is really, really, REALLY good. It is very hard to choose between Eternal Kingdom and Salvation, except for the presence of "Into the Beyond" on Salvation. Cult of Luna needs to make more songs like "Into the Beyond."

Edit: I want to make special mention of the Battle of Mice album A Day of Nights. It's an amazing album and demonstrates how a female vocalist can be incredible in a metal band without resorting to tired and cliche opera vocals. Julie Christmas's voice gives me shivers. The album has a lot of post-hardcore and post-punk influences, but it's great stuff.

Battle of Mice is a "supergroup." Julie Christmas is in Made Out of Babies, and the guitarist/keyboardist Josh Graham of Neurosis fame.
 
Aug 17, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #7 of 60

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Posts
3,087
Likes
15
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh man. This is my specialty.



Depends:
- "At the Soundless Dawn" is more of a post-rock album in the vein of Do Make Say Think. A glorious album, one of my desert island picks.
- Baroness' "Red Album" is really catchy, so if you want to be immediately satisfied, get that.
- "Australasia" is one of the most essential albums of the genre. I'd probably take that as #3 most important after Isis' "Oceanic" and Neurosis' "Through Silver in Blood". Pelican make some of the best written stuff in this style. The song "Drought" from this album is unbelievable.
- Russian Circles' "Enter" is very well constructed and satisfying to listen to, one of my favourites as well.
- Cult of Luna are a very consistent and excellent band. "Salvation" is probably my favourite album of theirs, but you can't go wrong with anything. Their album from last year "Somewhere Along the Highway" had some great material on it too, including what might be my favourite single song of theirs.

Overall, "Through Silver in Blood" by Neurosis is probably the most important album of the genre, so if you don't have that, get it. Anyway...



5ive is a good band to check out. All their stuff is good, and their 2008 album "Hesperus" is probably going to be the overall album of the year.

I'll try to stay away from things as obvious as Pelican and Neurosis for my recs though. You should get everything by those two bands at least.

Other things you can't miss:

5ive - Hesperus, self titled, The Telestic Disfracture
Tides - Resurface
Capricorns - Ruder Forms Survive
Bossk - .1, .2 (I think they've been released as one thing, so try to find that)
Deadbird - The Head and the Heart
Shora - Malval (closer to post rock, but still notable)
Disappearer - Disappearer (just an EP, but fantastically good)
Torche - Meanderthal
Ufomammut - Snailking (or anything else, they're amazing)
Morkobot - Mostro
Lent0 - Earthen
Mouth of the Architect - The Ties that Blind (I think they're rather mediocre, but they have lots of big fans)
Minsk - The Ritual Fires of Abandonment
Made out of Babies - The Ruiner

Those'll tide you over.


If you want straight sludge or sludge/doom, there's lots more I can give you. A lot of excellent stuff borders between post-stuff and sludge (Rwake, for example), and I don't know what tolerance for sludge vocals and such you have.



Thanks for info...

Try to keep the flaming to a minimum...I cant get into Nuerosis. I have TSIB and theres something about it that I just dont like. Sounds a little depressing?

This coming from a guy who listens to a ton of emotionless Tech-Metal (lol).

As far as vocals go, I can handle virtually anything.

What I love about ISIS is the dynamics; the depth and complexity of their music IMO blows away Pelican-which is why I have problems with the latter. Although I will try "Australasia".

So, I guess im looking for the stuff thats closer to post-metal and further away from post-rock.

EDIT: BTW-is there such thing as Post-Tech-Metal?
 
Aug 18, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #8 of 60

Akathriel

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 11, 2005
Posts
812
Likes
11
IMO, Pelican sucks. They are commercial and imitative and have been since Australasia.

I strongly urge you to keep trying at Neurosis. You will be rewarded. You can try Times of Grace or The Eye of Every Storm, I think those albums are more representative. TSIB is probably the most depressing album I've ever heard and it can difficult to get into.

Monolith named most of the good stuff, but:

You can preorder the new Intronaut album right now.

The new Mouth of the Architect album is fantastic. You can read a review I wrote here (shameless plug). This is really a coming of age album;just buy it.
@ Monolith I wrote Mota off as another NeurISIS imitator as well. If you appreciate it for what it is, its fun stuff.


The Ocean. Nuff' said. I dont know why European post-metal bands need a bazillion members but Precambrian rocks. Opened for Opeth, but I hope they dont move in the self-indulgent prog direction.
myspace.com/theoceancollective

Irepress. Instrumental post-metal on meth. Samus Octology is one of the most innovative albums I've heard in a long time.

You'll probably like Old Man Gloom and Zozobra. OMG is really avantgarde hardcore, but arguably post metal. Zozobra is simple, punishing stoner metal, very accessable. That beings said both projects sound similar, happen to be related, and feature members of ISIS.

Lesser known and developing bands:
Check out Elder
myspace.com/elderphiladelphia (something like that) Screamo/post-metal hybrid, I despise punk music but this is really very good.

The new 5ive album is really good and creative, as well. Although its more avantgarde sludge then post-metal.

Kenoma:

Minnesota's Battlefields shows promise:
http://www.myspace.com/battlefieldsdoom

Envy:
J-hardcore gone post-metal. A little too much japanese punk for my taste so far, but we'll see. Also recently did a split with Jesu.
 
Aug 18, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #9 of 60

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Posts
3,087
Likes
15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akathriel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO, Pelican sucks. They are commercial and imitative and have been since Australasia.

I strongly urge you to keep trying at Neurosis. You will be rewarded. You can try Times of Grace or The Eye of Every Storm, I think those albums are more representative. TSIB is probably the most depressing album I've ever heard and it can difficult to get into.

Monolith named most of the good stuff, but:

You can preorder the new Intronaut album right now.

The new Mouth of the Architect album is fantastic. You can read a review I wrote here (shameless plug). This is really a coming of age album;just buy it.
@ Monolith I wrote Mota off as another NeurISIS imitator as well. If you appreciate it for what it is, its fun stuff.


The Ocean. Nuff' said. I dont know why European post-metal bands need a bazillion members but Precambrian rocks. Opened for Opeth, but I hope they dont move in the self-indulgent prog direction.
myspace.com/theoceancollective

Irepress. Instrumental post-metal on meth. Samus Octology is one of the most innovative albums I've heard in a long time.

You'll probably like Old Man Gloom and Zozobra. OMG is really avantgarde hardcore, but arguably post metal. Zozobra is simple, punishing stoner metal, very accessable. That beings said both projects sound similar, happen to be related, and feature members of ISIS.

Lesser known and developing bands:
Check out Elder
myspace.com/elderphiladelphia (something like that) Screamo/post-metal hybrid, I despise punk music but this is really very good.

The new 5ive album is really good and creative, as well. Although its more avantgarde sludge then post-metal.

Kenoma:

Minnesota's Battlefields shows promise:
MySpace.com - BATTLEFIELDS (is recording full length soon) - Glacial Lake Agassiz, Minnesota - Progressive / Ambient / Metal - www.myspace.com/battlefieldsdoom

Envy:
J-hardcore gone post-metal. A little too much japanese punk for my taste so far, but we'll see. Also recently did a split with Jesu.



Thanks Akathriel-will def. look into all of the above.

Big Intronaut fan-am looking forward to the new album. I gotta say though, when it comes to Intronaut-not so into the vocals. I can handle all sorts of growling and yelling but he gets on my nerves sometimes. The music on the other hand, is brilliant. Have been really enjoying Gojira as well...

So just to get the record straight; is post-rock MAINLY instrumental?
If so, how come so many people group bands like Intronaut in with ISIS which is predominantly instrumental?

Lastly, what do you think of Jesu and Red Sparrowes?
I dont have anything by either.
 
Aug 19, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #10 of 60

synaesthetic

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 5, 2008
Posts
2,263
Likes
11
jesu is closer to drone than post-metal. they're often referred to as experimental doom metal.
 
Aug 19, 2008 at 9:07 AM Post #11 of 60

keanej6

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 4, 2006
Posts
675
Likes
10
giant squid - metridium fields.

i can go on and there are other good recommendations here, but you have to check them out. the most beautiful and heavy and dynamic doom metal/rock band. check out the title track, its like 20 minutes, but its so good. and i love isis.
 
Aug 19, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #13 of 60

monolith

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 15, 2007
Posts
2,024
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akathriel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO, Pelican sucks. They are commercial and imitative and have been since Australasia.

I strongly urge you to keep trying at Neurosis. You will be rewarded. You can try Times of Grace or The Eye of Every Storm, I think those albums are more representative. TSIB is probably the most depressing album I've ever heard and it can difficult to get into.

Monolith named most of the good stuff, but:

You can preorder the new Intronaut album right now.

The new Mouth of the Architect album is fantastic. You can read a review I wrote here (shameless plug). This is really a coming of age album;just buy it.
@ Monolith I wrote Mota off as another NeurISIS imitator as well. If you appreciate it for what it is, its fun stuff.


The Ocean. Nuff' said. I dont know why European post-metal bands need a bazillion members but Precambrian rocks. Opened for Opeth, but I hope they dont move in the self-indulgent prog direction.
myspace.com/theoceancollective

Irepress. Instrumental post-metal on meth. Samus Octology is one of the most innovative albums I've heard in a long time.

You'll probably like Old Man Gloom and Zozobra. OMG is really avantgarde hardcore, but arguably post metal. Zozobra is simple, punishing stoner metal, very accessable. That beings said both projects sound similar, happen to be related, and feature members of ISIS.

Lesser known and developing bands:
Check out Elder
myspace.com/elderphiladelphia (something like that) Screamo/post-metal hybrid, I despise punk music but this is really very good.

The new 5ive album is really good and creative, as well. Although its more avantgarde sludge then post-metal.

Kenoma:

Minnesota's Battlefields shows promise:
MySpace.com - BATTLEFIELDS (is recording full length soon) - Glacial Lake Agassiz, Minnesota - Progressive / Ambient / Metal - www.myspace.com/battlefieldsdoom

Envy:
J-hardcore gone post-metal. A little too much japanese punk for my taste so far, but we'll see. Also recently did a split with Jesu.



Pelican's stuff after Australasia certainly isn't amazing, but Australasia and the self titled EP are spectacular, and I stand by them.

I'll be sure to check out the new MoTA. Them getting better would be a nice counterpoint to Russian Circles getting worse.

I thought of mentioning The Ocean (Precambrian was a surprisingly good album), but I figured they were more techy than the OP was looking for. I certainly stand by the recommendation though. I caught them right around when Fluxion came out and have been loving them ever since.

Old Man Gloom is excellent and I echo that. I'm listening to the OMG album "Zozobra" on vinyl right now. The band Zozobra I don't like as much. Saw them open for Isis and wasn't impressed, listened to the album and was less impressed. Perhaps I should give them another chance, or try their new album?

Have you heard Disappearer?


Quote:

Originally Posted by keanej6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
giant squid - metridium fields.

i can go on and there are other good recommendations here, but you have to check them out. the most beautiful and heavy and dynamic doom metal/rock band. check out the title track, its like 20 minutes, but its so good. and i love isis.



Another excellent band. They kick ass live, too. I've recommended that album to a bunch of customers at work and had a few of them come back to give me a handshake and get more recommendations.
tongue.gif
 
Aug 20, 2008 at 1:16 PM Post #14 of 60

Akathriel

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 11, 2005
Posts
812
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Akathriel-will def. look into all of the above.

Big Intronaut fan-am looking forward to the new album. I gotta say though, when it comes to Intronaut-not so into the vocals. I can handle all sorts of growling and yelling but he gets on my nerves sometimes. The music on the other hand, is brilliant. Have been really enjoying Gojira as well...

So just to get the record straight; is post-rock MAINLY instrumental?
If so, how come so many people group bands like Intronaut in with ISIS which is predominantly instrumental?

Lastly, what do you think of Jesu and Red Sparrowes?
I dont have anything by either.



The quality of the writing is poor but w/e. I'm really interested in this topic and almost wrote musicology paper on it.
A brief history of post-metal:

Post-rock is pretty much exclusively instrumental. The two defining components of post-rock music are structure and texture/timbre. Structurally, post-rock takes a single theme and slowly developes it in intensity, complexity, and volume until the tension builds to a climax making that "wall of sound". After that the bottom drops out and it becomes dead quiet as the theme is discarded for a new one. Rinse and repeat. Like a lot of genres of music, post-rock has become so overcrowded that the best artists are the ones that deviate the most from this standard.

The second component, of post rock is the idea that instruments aren't used in the same way they are in rock; hence the name "post rock." Instead of creating a jangly rock sound guitars are drenched in reverb and delay and synthesisers are used to create that sense of air, that atmospheric, epic timbre.

The term post-metal came about after the release of ISIS' "Oceanic." Isis admitted to being influenced by bands like Mogwai, and they're music borrowed heavily from both of those defining elements of post-rock. "Weight" is as generic a post-rock song as they come. A lot of people think Celestial sounds quite different from Oceanic but you can already hear the band moving in this direction, listen to the violent dynamic contrast on the title track and you can see where Oceanic had come from. Neurosis, on the other hand had been creating that "wall of sound" since TSIB and the dynamic shifts on ISIS' Celestial, were largely taken from the music of Neurosis (ex. "Under the Surface" off ToG). But Neurosis had not refined that sound to the organic crescendo and descrecendos found on "Oceanic". "Oceanic" remains the defining template for post-metal today, although again I think the artists who differentiate themselves from it are the more lauded ones.

This is one of the reasons why Intronaut is considered post-metal. Secondly, Intronaut earned the post-metal moniker with "Null" which really is a post-metal work. They have been working away from that. Thirdly, there are melodic elements of their music which are characteristic of post-metal. Lastly, Aaron Turner has worked hard to associate "post-metal" with the term "thinking man's metal" and create this image of experimental, intellectual contemporary art. Intronaut wants to (and should) be associated with this image.

If you think the frontmen of Intronaut have annoying voices clearly you haven't listened to Cult of Luna. The guy sounds like a clown with downs syndrome. I can scream better than him.


Red Sparowes is ok. It is what it looks like, a bunch of metalheads making post-rock, albeit heavy post-rock. Most of their stuff is generic and unimaginative if you listen to post-rock, but its fun to listen to. "Every Red Heart" is a better than "At the Soundless Dawn" but they're both worth buying.

Jesu is the brainchild of Justin Broadick. Synaesthetic described it pretty well, except I dont agree with the doom part. I can see where he's coming from, but that gives the impression that its dark, it has much more in common with shoegaze than doom. If you do decide to try it, pick up some of the EPs before the albums, alot of his stuff is hit or miss IMO but most of the EPs are definitely better than the albums, which are good but not great.
 
Aug 20, 2008 at 1:24 PM Post #15 of 60

Akathriel

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 11, 2005
Posts
812
Likes
11
Quote:

Pelican's stuff after Australasia certainly isn't amazing, but Australasia and the self titled EP are spectacular, and I stand by them.

I'll be sure to check out the new MoTA. Them getting better would be a nice counterpoint to Russian Circles getting worse.

I thought of mentioning The Ocean (Precambrian was a surprisingly good album), but I figured they were more techy than the OP was looking for. I certainly stand by the recommendation though. I caught them right around when Fluxion came out and have been loving them ever since.

Old Man Gloom is excellent and I echo that. I'm listening to the OMG album "Zozobra" on vinyl right now. The band Zozobra I don't like as much. Saw them open for Isis and wasn't impressed, listened to the album and was less impressed. Perhaps I should give them another chance, or try their new album?

Have you heard Disappearer?


If you don't like Zozobra, then you probably just don't like Zozobra.
normal_smile .gif
There's nothing to get really, its just a simple pleasure. Caleb Scofield is a great screamer, there's a lot of distortion, and power chords. My friends and I learned the song "Soon to Follow" in 20 minutes.
icon10.gif


I agree that Seminar III is probably the best OMG work.

Giant Squid is awesome, have not heard of Disappearer. What is it?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top