Got a stancor psu for my dio...
Mar 30, 2004 at 5:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

sleepkyng

Headphoneus Supremus
or maybe the title should have been "how i learned the difference between tight bass, and bloated bass in a very big way"

Once i hookedup the stancor psu i noticed that the bass wasn't boomy, it was very tight.

i went into a friend's room and played a cd off his system (marantz 1060, same speakers, denon dcd520)

his setup made V.M Bhatt's tablas sound really bloated and boomy which at first sounds kinda cool but the sound out of the modded dio and stancor was really tight and ultimately more enjoyable.

so i'm another believer in the PSU upgrades!

Mar 30, 2004 at 6:19 PM Post #2 of 14
Ahhh mr kyng, glad I could help you squeeze a little more performance out of that little DIO.

Good to hear that you like it, you should hear the Bolder PSU that I replaced it with...

Mark

Mar 30, 2004 at 6:46 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by mcgsxr
you should hear the Bolder PSU that I replaced it with...

And so begins the next round of upgrading
biggrin.gif

This is just a glimpse of what better power can do for you. Now for some power conditioning
wink.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 30, 2004 at 6:49 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by sleepkyng
so i'm another believer in the PSU upgrades!

i definitely concur as a stancor powered dio owner.

the scary part of your audiophile journey really begins when you start hearing differences in power cords though.

it just happened to me recently. scary stuff...

Mar 30, 2004 at 6:52 PM Post #5 of 14
That's a good point actually - when I installed the two dedicated lines to my listening room, with Hubbell hospital grade outlets, and oversize wiring, the sound was improved.

The Bolder unit, and PC upgrade for my Sugden integrated also improved things again.

I guess the next step would be to actually condition the feed to those components, in order to maximize the effect, and return on investment.

Any thoughts on an affordable unit?

Sorry if I am hijacking sleepkyng, flame away!

mark

Mar 30, 2004 at 6:56 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by usc goose
the scary part of your audiophile journey really begins when you start hearing differences in power cords though.

I can hardly wait for that tortie-quail group buy to come to fruitation
biggrin.gif

Mar 30, 2004 at 7:13 PM Post #9 of 14
I did the same thing... got three when I only need two... but I figured that there may be a day when the third one will come in handy
wink.gif

Mar 30, 2004 at 7:28 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Nah, it gets scary when you can hear the difference between AC outlets or how different parts of your system affect the overall sound when turned on/off. Can you hear how your system sounds different during different hours of the day?

Mar 30, 2004 at 7:33 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by lan
Can you hear how your system sounds different during different hours of the day?

definitely during late night, when the power cleans up.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 30, 2004 at 10:05 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

it just happened to me recently. scary stuff...

Yes, hallucinations aren't good...
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 30, 2004 at 10:12 PM Post #13 of 14
I can beat the power cord tweak... just look in my sig

eek.gif

yeah, its the one that starts with an 's'

wink.gif

Mar 30, 2004 at 10:18 PM Post #14 of 14
Congrats on the PSU discovery. Power problems can cause a lot of sound issues we blame on other things.

Is the Stancor a linear PSU like the Elpac's, or are they something different? How do they compare cost wise to the Elpac's of the same voltage and amperage ratings?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back